K-9 Challenge Sled Dog Race

Osinn11

This past weekend I took Cj and Ace to thier first sled dog event. The event took place in Logan, Utah which is about 2.5 hours one way from where we live. Cj & Ace both did great during the long car ride! :D

Finally made it!

post-7782-0-02354000-1362717091_thumb.jp

The Teams (I think thier were about 25-30 teams competing in the 2 day event! :D )

post-7782-0-27286600-1362717151_thumb.jppost-7782-0-58200200-1362717513_thumb.jp

post-7782-0-62923700-1362717662_thumb.jp

Hike!!

post-7782-0-89342000-1362717314_thumb.jppost-7782-0-17390800-1362717333_thumb.jp

post-7782-0-09231000-1362717570_thumb.jp

We met up with some friends from our local husky meetup group and my Kids even got thier first shot at pulling a sled! I was given a quick lesson on the harnesses gang lines and how to run the sled. I had to borrow everyhting! We hooked Cj and Ace up got the lines tight....I gave them thier command to run "hup" and nothing! They turned around and looked at me like "your kidding right"

Don't think this is quite how you do it!!

post-7782-0-84200800-1362717739_thumb.jp

My friend decided to get a couple of her Huskies ( Riley & AJ) out to teach my two the ropes!

post-7782-0-27325000-1362717767_thumb.jp

Success! My friends daughter ran the sled with the kids first then I got a shot. We didn't go far but I must say it was awesome! I'm sure I had a grin on my face from ear to ear!

post-7782-0-10073600-1362718110_thumb.jp

I was very proud of my kids not only for being good sled dogs but also for not being a distraction around all the teams! and they didn't move all the way home!

I was just about to ask if this was in Logan!  I literally had just decided to pull my entry since we had an unexpected death in our 'family' (fire family), we decided to keep the team home and offer support.  I've heard such good things about the race and the location, glad you had a great time!

Yep beautiful Logan Canyon! So you actually were going to attend the race? Well maybe I'll get to see Denali and the gang run in person next year!l! :D We had a blast at the event! It was pretty awesome seeing first hand what these dogs can do!!  I hope to attend both dates next year and possibly even compete (even if it's just in the skijoring class)

The location is great! The sun was out and the snow seemed to be fast. There sure was plenty of it. :kimba2:

Yep beautiful Logan Canyon! So you actually were going to attend the race? Well maybe I'll get to see Denali and the gang run in person next year!l! :D We had a blast at the event! It was pretty awesome seeing first hand what these dogs can do!!  I hope to attend both dates next year and possibly even compete (even if it's just in the skijoring class)

The location is great! The sun was out and the snow seemed to be fast. There sure was plenty of it. :kimba2:

Yeah we were actually going to be there :(  But you are right there is always next year!  We're back to dryland training now and building my 2013 race and show schedules LOL

This is awesome and great lovely pictures!!! Ive never seen it done in real life only in movies..Looks like alot of fun i really need to go!!!

If you ever get the oppurtunity it really is something to see! It was so exciting every time we head someone yell....another team is coming in! :D

Yeah we were actually going to be there :(  But you are right there is always next year!  We're back to dryland training now and building my 2013 race and show schedules LOL

"Family" first. It would have been awesome to see you kids run...I look forward to seeing them in future! I will be lloking for updates on the "2013 Keahi Siberian Tour" :D

What type of dryland training do you do to keep them in shape?

I think we'll try the bike first then go from there. I'm thinking I may be able to make a cart! For now I'm just jogging with mine! In the summer we usaully walk/run around dusk. :D

Getting additions? :D More show dogs?

I think we'll try the bike first then go from there. I'm thinking I may be able to make a cart! For now I'm just jogging with mine! In the summer we usaully walk/run around dusk. :D

Getting additions? :D More show dogs?

Most carts are made for 3+ dogs, generally they are too heavy for less than 3- scooters on the other hand are perfect for smaller teams :)

My goal is to have dual purpose Siberians.  Those that can show as well as work.  I have a nice solid foundation stud in Denali, the girls' verdict is still out.  Someday I'll have the foundation I need to start my own line until then the search for additional team dogs continues!

I wondered what the dog to weight ratio would be.

I think it's great that you have working show dogs! Our friends here at Arctic Breeds Rescue has a gorgeous  show dog that also runs on the team! In fact I think it's the dog in the "sled dog race on trail sign"