Thinking About Showing Can Anyone Help.

Keeonah

I have been thinking about showing for a little while now. I think Keiko would make a great show dog but as I have never done anything like this before would like some advice on what to look for what needs to be done and what shouldn't be done. At the moment Keiko is 7 months old so is still changing and I will still have time with him before he can be shown, I believe they have to be a certain age before you can show. I have also heard somewhere that they should not be speyed or neutered if they are being shown. Is this correct. Would I have to have them hip scored and eye tested before I can show them. Any help would be great. ;)

Gary.

post-9015-0-66520900-1362741194.jpg

Hi Gary I think I might help. I am into shows with both my dogs and know a very friendly husky judge who can give you loads of information. She is busy with Crufts at the mo but I will pm you her details later tonight.

PS I assume your dogs are KC reg as only then you can seriously showing them. Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain also will be the great source of help, information on local shows and all sorts of things.

I hope someone answers you because i have thought about this myself with ONE of my dogs..Meeka she has a geat stance and intelligence I believe she could be a pretty good show dog. Great topic hope someone replies!

As for you, I know a bit more about American Shows. Your pups have to be AKC registered in order to participate in their shows. If they're AKC registered and you're a first timer, what was suggested to me (as I had thought about doing it with Yuki) is to spay her and participate in the UKC altered programs to not only get experience but to also have fun. the AKC is a lot more strict than the UKC, so I consider the UKC a good starting place. You can register your pup through the UKC website as long as you've got the AKC papers on you.

PS I assume your dogs are KC reg as only then you can seriously showing them. Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain also will be the great source of help, information on local shows and all sorts of things.

Any help I can get would be great Magdalena. All my dogs are K.C Registered with a good bloodline. The pups parents also have a number of champions in their families. Will look into  Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain website later. 

Gary.

@Mobezilla thanks!! None of my dogs are registered :'( darn! Thanks though ill have to look into that in the future

Well the AKC has a program called ILP Listing where you can register a non-papered dog and you can participate in stuff like agility and obedience, but you cannot do confirmation events. 

I believe there are also fun dog shows held time-to-time, not held by the AKC or UKC, that you can just go participate in. You'd have to google it and see if any are in your area.

The point of conformation showing is to determine how closely your entry meets the breed standard and ultimately to judge breeding stock. Therefore the participating dogs are intact.  Though UKC and other registries offer a spayed/neutered class this is just more of a 'fun' experience for new handlers.  You do not need to have the eyes and hips scored to participate in a show, but they should be done prior to breeding.  Is the dog from show stock?  If you would like some honest evaluation of show potential I'd be happy to assist either here or through private message.  I'd need a stacked photo from the side and preferable some movement photos or video (pref).

Thanks Lani I will see what I can do. I'll get all the pups out in the run and see if I can get some video of them and then try to load it on here. Do I take it then that the dogs should not be spayed/neutered to be shown but if they were then they would have to go into a special class. Sorry but I am totally new to this but if One of my dogs is good enough then I would love to give it a go. The pups mother seems to come from good stock from what I've been told but I won't go into that on here.  What sort of age do they start showing at?

Gary.

i was told that the kennel club abolished the non neutered rule.

i need.to find out if its true before i can get aurora done as i want to try show her.

my other two dont have kc reg but i have a collection of rosettes both have won in companion/fun dog shows. :)

I'd recommend finding a ringcraft class near you. It's basically a class where you both get to learn and practise what to do! 

Here are some links you might want to read:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2984

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/6859/Showing.pdf

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/265

Regarding neutering:

Prior to exhibition, permission must be sought from the General Committee of the Kennel Club to exhibit any dog which has undergone an operation to alter its natural conformation. Dogs that have been spayed or castrated are permitted to be exhibited at Kennel Club licensed events. However, the owner of the dog must inform the Kennel Club, prior to exhibition, of the date of the operation, the name of the veterinary surgeon and the practice where the operation was carried out.

Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

So it seems that you can have them neutered and inform the KC, but not having balls will class as a fault.

I'm sure you'd be able to find a definitive answer on the internet or by speaking to a ringcraft club. :)

The point of conformation showing is to determine how closely your entry meets the breed standard and ultimately to judge breeding stock. Therefore the participating dogs are intact.  Though UKC and other registries offer a spayed/neutered class this is just more of a 'fun' experience for new handlers.  You do not need to have the eyes and hips scored to participate in a show, but they should be done prior to breeding.  Is the dog from show stock?  If you would like some honest evaluation of show potential I'd be happy to assist either here or through private message.  I'd need a stacked photo from the side and preferable some movement photos or video (pref).

Out of interest, are UK and US breed standards the same? 

I have, tonight, been watching Crufts on the tv and they were saying that they have 2000 entries from around the world this year including the USA. This would say to me that there is a uniform breed standard throughout the world but perhaps Lani can enlighten us a bit more. 

Gary.

The breed standard is the breed standard no matter what country you live in.  The standard is to ensure the breed maintains a certain characteristic identifiable look as well as retain the functional ability the breed was intended for.  This is how dogs are imported both in and out of where you may live and still be able to have successful show careers.

As for the video, gating on lead would be more beneficial than running/playing.  As well as a still standing shot.

The breed standard is the breed standard no matter what country you live in.  The standard is to ensure the breed maintains a certain characteristic identifiable look as well as retain the functional ability the breed was intended for.  This is how dogs are imported both in and out of where you may live and still be able to have successful show careers.

As for the video, gating on lead would be more beneficial than running/playing.  As well as a still standing shot.

Ah, it's just that, to me at least, US huskies do look different to UK huskies! The faces often have a visible difference. 

I'd recommend finding a ringcraft class near you. It's basically a class where you both get to learn and practise what to do! 

Here are some links you might want to read:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2984

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/6859/Showing.pdf

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/265

Regarding neutering:

So it seems that you can have them neutered and inform the KC, but not having balls will class as a fault.

I'm sure you'd be able to find a definitive answer on the internet or by speaking to a ringcraft club. :)

Thanks for this it is really informative ;)

Gary.

Ah, it's just that, to me at least, US huskies do look different to UK huskies! The faces often have a visible difference. 

I'd somewhat agree, but also disagree.  When I look at show lines from various places in the world there are some very distinct similarities and some differences as well.  But you can see that from kennel to kennel even within the same country.  I have friends that can take their Am CH dog and go show in the Philippines and get their dog titled there, then off to Europe.  This only happens if the dogs are comparable in some form.  Where the biggest difference I see, country to country or even kennel to kennel is in the pet lines and of course pet line vs show line.

Breed standard can differ by registry, but the dogs you see can also be different simply by what the registry judges choose. For example, the AKC standard is directed by the Siberian Husky Club of America, while the UKC standard is not directed by a club, but by the registry board themselves, and again with the FCI, the standard is determined by the country who "claims" the breed. 

As for what the judges choose, AKC shows can be very politically charged and they often choose a showier dog. UKC is more focused on working type dogs (which doesn't mean an AKC dog won't win in UKC!), so what you see there tends to have more leg and have a little rougher look to them. A lot of the FCI dogs I have seen win almost look like the North Wapati racing lines.