Dog Fight!! :-(

HuskyGuerl

OMG!! Im so worried this has NEVER happened before!! Bear and Echo get along great but for some reason today Bear has been grouchy so we have kept him separated from the rest of them..On the way to let them outside to potty Echo ACCIDENTALY bumped into Bear and Bear lashed out at him!!! There was a huge fight in my hallway with me in the middle and my hubby couldnt get them to stop!! They finally stopped with Echo coming out as dominate (which doesnt matter!!) and my hubby put Bear outside and the rest kept in the house..he noticed Echo was bleeding but it didnt seem to bother him and Bear was limping and whining and my hubby went to make sure he was ok while i cleaned up Echo and he was running around the yard fine and when he reached down to touch Bears leg to see if it was ok...he didnt even touch it and Bear lashed out at my hubby!!!! so he grabbed him by his collar and put him in his cage and the whole time he was lashing out!! my hubby has bite and scratch marks from him!! Why is he acting like this??? He has been so fine intill today!! I dont understand any ideas or tips...And no my hubby DID NOT hit either of them even when Bear was biteing him he would never..he just grabbed him by his collar because he was trying to full on attack him for no reason and thats the only way he could stop him from attacking him or trying to run away and get out

grabbing collars when dogs are in "attack" mode is never a good thing to do.

get a slip lead and.slip it over the dogs head to remove it safely.

if this is out of character he may need a vet trip. sometimes out of character behaviour can mean somethings wrong, or he feels poorly etc. worth getting checked out x

I have no advice. I went through this too. With my husbands dog and Asha and my moms dog and Asha fighting. Unfortunately Asha is at a guys house my husband works with. Don't know if she is staying, but she is doing better there than here. But that is right never grab a collar! I did that and my moms dog got my arm. I just sprayed them with water when they got to fighting. And that would stop it most of the time. I hope this was just a one time thing. Maybe he is sick?

I'll echo the others - maybe he's acting out of character because something is wrong with him?

But I also want to add something. In the future, when dogs are fighting, you do NOT want to grab them by the collar - that will just get you bit. You, at the SAME time as the other person, grab the back legs of the dogs and pull them away from each other. That way, they cannot turn around to bite you. I forget where I got that information from...maybe in a dog behaviour magazine?

Also, a hurt animal is a dangerous animal...you should never even try to touch, or even reach for, an injured part of an animal unless their body language tells otherwise. If they show the SLIGHTEST sign they don't want you to approach, back off. Even then, you should wait a bit until they get out of 'fight mode' and calm down.

Bear was simply acting out of defense, and because he couldn't escape (he was being grabbed by the collar), he did the only other thing he felt he had to do to protect himself: bite (and scratch/flail to try to get away at the same time.)

I know Suka acts very out of character when he's in pain and his arthritis is bothering him - he acts grouchy and is kinda growly at every little thing. Whenever I've treated any wounds, I always watch him very closely to make sure he'll let me approach and touch it. He's never bitten me because I respect his space when he's hurt and clearly wants to be left alone. When he's ready to be approached, his body language says so. I don't know how else to describe it, but it feels 'instinctual' to me when I can approach and when I can't.

Bear is the one we are fostering and I feel if we take him to the vet the people we are watching him for should pay and I told them and asked and she said no and laughed about it!! I thought maybe he's missing where he used to be?? Because I don't think he's sick..and he's fine now they are all around each other again..maybe it was a dominance?? Idk but all echo did was accident bumped his leg on way out...I couldn't really spray with water since was in my house...but ill take everything in too reference we just never had this happened before so Justin just reacted quickly before someone or one dog's got.hurt

I used a water bottle and squirted my moms dog on the head nose. And it stopped her. Even Asha stopped from the water sometimes. But we also have hard floors and same at my moms house. I hope it was dominance. And that's really rude that woman just laughed at you!

it sounds like Bear was in a bit of pain, maybe hip or leg problems if that's what sparked it. He really should get checked out, especially if he shows any more signs of being grizzly with other dogs or humans. And you're right, his owner should pay but the priority is a well dog - in the meantime, keep an eye on him & how he interacts & responds to Echo and the rest of the pack. Keep a water spray handy or an old plastic bottle filled with pebbles to rattle, just to jolt him out of his "attack"

Hope they are both ok & war wounds healed after this incident & it never happens again, xx

They are both ok..wounds are healing and Echo and Bear are the bestest friends now!! Well father and son lol..they wont go anywhere without each other..we bought 4 spray bottles and have them sitting throughout the house in case anything happens

i would really wonder what signs your dogs send before they got into fight, cause dogs dont burst like thant out of nowhere, they usually have dog signs that signal that something is wrong and us human dont pick on them all the time, not our fault, we are human not dogs... but try ti pay attention if they are different with each other, the tail, the ears, body language and lear from it, and yes water bottle are great ahahhah