Doggie Drugs

Chula

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird, mine don't take pills if I just give it to them but if I hide it in a piece of boiled chicken or a soft treat they usually take it without realizing it's in there.  Or if I crused it on their food they would eat it.  I don't have any other suggestions :(

Well this conversation is moot because now no matter what I do to hide the taste of the pill she won't take it. Tried crushing it in peanut butter, tried hiding it in cheese, tried forcing her to take it. Not working. Gah!

Tried the chicken thing. Tried blending chicken and rice into puree and adding it. No luck. The closest I got was crushing it in peanut butter and sticking it on her lips/teeth. She probably only got 1/3 of her dose but its something I guess.

So far she seems totally uninterested in her wound. She was following me around for an hour then finally decided to take a nap in her crate. I gave the vet a ring and waiting for a call back. We'll see if she has any suggestions.

If mine have to take pills I just open their mouth and put the pill at the back of their tongue, then blow into their nose or rub their throat. Mine are all reasonably cooperative though.

We tried this a couple times. She regurgitated it.

Have you tried the greenies pill pouches?  They are very strong smelling and very yummy tasting.  I have 1 that is just as difficult to give medication to and that is the only thing that will work for him.  Good luck hun.  It is very frustrating when they won't take their meds. 

I just sent my mom to get some of those pouches from petco. It's my last ditch effort. Otherwise she will just be getting whatever small amount I can get her to lick by smearing crushed pill/peanut butter on her upper lips.

Woohoo the greenies pouches worked she gobbled the pills right up. Thanks for the suggestion.

That is the only way Rusty will take his meds.  He would smell them through anything else and refuse, vomit, gag, and all the other drama effects.  He is leery of all treats because of it.  We can not trick him he is way to smart...or he thinks :ph34r:

Glad you got her to take her meds! :)

How big are those Greenie pouches? Cause I used to be able to stick Suka's deramaxx (for arthritic flareups) in cheese whiz, and he'd eat it right up, but now he just licks the cheese off. :P

The deramaxx tablets are pretty big, which is why I'm asking...

They have two sizes one for tablets and a larger size for capsules. I cut the smaller one in half to give Chula her meds so I'd guess the bigger ones are pretty big. They're kind of mushy so you can shape them to fit around different sized objects.