Under Weight

Sheriff&&Kava

Sheriff, My 2 year old sibe has been losing a lit of weight.. We made the mistake of giving him scraps and that's all he started to eat. So we quit giving him scraps and gave him a petter diet ( Put him on Iams and Cooked chicken) He gets chicken twice a week with his meals. Sheriff is so bad that he will push away his dog food and only eat the chicken. . We are to the point where we're ready to take him to the vet. Not sure if there is anything else to do. Any advice would be awesome! Only you guys know how stubborn this breed can be.. Its time to reach out because I love my Sheriff more then anything. . Never want to see anything bad happen to him.

Recently Ghost has been neglecting his food which would have never happened 2 months ago. He likes to have his food in form of play/training. So what he would normally not it, he would eat when I gave him any command, like sit.

It's possible he's just not feeling like eating, some huskies can go starving for a couple of days and then they would be happy to start eating again. He may be bored of the same kibble type everyday, did you try changing it? (Just with a small sample pack, as in not to waste money.)

I would just wait till he gets hungry, leave the chicken out.

Another option is to cook some vegetables, mix it and pour it over some kibble, my dog loves this.

Lastly, I know a dog who refuses to eat inside, his owner has to take his food portions outside and feed him there, lol. Good luck :)

I find mine will eat more if there is less in front of him.

Give him a big bowl, he will eat two mouthfuls.

A small bowl and he eats the lot.

Perhaps it's just fussy-ness which will wear off, if he thinks he's not going to get extra's he may eat more.

Though if it's been happening for a while I would take him to the vet.

I've been through similar with my older Sibe, somedays she just wouldn't eat what I put down. I have a cuboard full of half empty dog food bags as she got bored so quickly.

May be a bit extreme, but what seems to have made her eat her food straight away first time, was getting a new puppy :P

Now she won't leave a scrap for the younger dog, and of course the puppy demolishes it's food.

Before the puppy came along however, I was having some great success with raw food, just minced stuff from the butchers. Seemed really good for her too, her coat was lovely and she had so much energy.

Mine had a very similar problem - he would not eat unless I put 'toppings' on (wet dog food, gravy, etc.). I thought he was just being a picky husky, but it turned out he just didn't like the taste of the kibble! Once I switched to another brand (Iams/Merrick to Taste of the Wild), he ate it all up! Never had a problem since, and its been 3 years.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I will say that since my Chula has been on a bland diet after surgery, despite LOVING the cooked chicken, if I put 3-4 pieces of her Blue Buffalo Wilderness in there with it, she will pick those out and eat them first. So maybe try a tastier dog food with a higher protein level?

I second a lot of people's opinions and say try switching food. Balto used to be on science diet and he ate it but it wasn't something he would go mad for and now we give him TOTW and not only does he devour it but that is the only thing he will really work for (forget treats, etc. he wants that). We also do not feed him table scraps no matter how cute he tries to be just so he doesn't jump on us or the table or try to steal our food as well as guests food.