Trying To Find A Home To Rent With A Husky...

Chula

Wow. I never anticipated it would be so difficult! I have called so many places and they all have huskies on the restricted breed list. :( I am super bummed!

So far I have found one place that hasn't asked, but I get the feeling it's kind of a shady rental...but at this point, I almost don't care!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found a duplex that accepts huskies. An apartment that will if you have bottom floor, and a town home.. It is sooooo hard to look. I use this website the Army offers call AHRN and craigslist. The only one that questioned me was the duplex. He only wanted dogs under 10 pounds and I laughed because I've seen cats bigger! And once we talked about it and payed a high pet deposit he let us rent. I know what that's like. Good luck.

Apparently the issue is insurance won't cover damage or dog bites for certain breeds.  :angry:  We have to move out of the townhome we are in, but could move to another one in the community - except I don't want to!  

Apparently the issue is insurance won't cover damage or dog bites for certain breeds.  :angry:  We have to move out of the townhome we are in, but could move to another one in the community - except I don't want to!  

What about rat terriers, labs, and those ankle biters? I've never been bitten by a husky. I was bitten by a black lab once though. But I don't hear about those on the news or the internet. Gr.

Yeah, they read the list to me:

- Pittbulls

- Rotties

- Strafordshire terriers

- Presa Canario

- Akita

- Wolf hybrids

- Huskies

Maybe I can lie and say she's a malamute since that wasn't on his list!

Lol. You could? Would anyone know the difference? Wheres Chow Chows? Those are pretty nasty.

I'm sure the guy was just reading from his insurance policy, but still! Frustrating! I'm going to end up in some nasty ghetto place where they don't care about the property just so I can keep my dog. Oh well, OH is pretty good with construction he can fix it up on the cheap.

yeah there is definitely more breeds on the list. luckily, state farm doesn't have any breed discrimination in their policies. that's who i will do my home insurance through. apartments and town homes are picky about pets, private rental homes are not. most places as long as you pay a deposit they don't care what breed IF they allow large dogs except of course pitbulls.

I know the feeling!  I bought my townhome last year, and found that our HOA has Huskies on the banned list, but same as you, Malamute wasn't on the list.  If the property manager ever says anything I plan on telling her that they are Malamutes.  But they don't really inspect the property, they only seem to enforce most of the rules if there is a problem.  If no one complains and my dogs are not a nuisance then I doubt it will ever come up.

So why do you have to move?  Is it because of your insurance company?  can't you switch companies?

And I looked at apartments and I found the same thing, that many places do ban them, but around here it seems most of the bans have to do with weight, not breeds.  There are several here that have a 20-40lb limit, but I did find several that I could live at with Huskies. 

I find that complexes that are managed by a large company are far more restrictive.  Where are you at in VA?

I had my homeowner's insurance before I got my dogs, and I never told them.  Whoops!  I am sure my insurance would go up, but I never really thought about it.

yeah there is definitely more breeds on the list. luckily, state farm doesn't have any breed discrimination in their policies. that's who i will do my home insurance through. apartments and town homes are picky about pets, private rental homes are not. most places as long as you pay a deposit they don't care what breed IF they allow large dogs except of course pitbulls.

Guys if you don't mind me asking. I have been living in Poand for over 20 years, then a bit in Italy, for nearly 10 years I have been living in the UK and I have never experienced this problem here in Europe. If there is any problem whilst renting in the UK it os rather "pets allowed" or "pets not allowed". 

I am a happy house owner at the mo but we are seriously thinking about moving to the US in a few years time as I may chose to do my Ph.D there. Now, if we do, we shall probably rent. Is there really such a problem with Siberians?? And why? What about Rotties or Staffies? isn't it an awful discrimination?

It really depends on what area.  In my area it's mostly based on weight size, with the exception of Pit Bulls.  Some areas are very restrictive with breeds. 

if your moving to the us, a good website to look for apartments is www.apartments.com  You can contact the complex and find out what their restrictions are first

A while ago I was looking at apartment complexes and had found none that would allow my poor Jake... He was either over the 50 pound limit or on the not allowed list :(  A few places told us we'd only be able to have a ground floor apartment if they accepted him.

So now I've said screw the apartment complexes and am now just looking at rental homes, which are about the same price (here at least). I'll take a private yard, more space, and more options over an apartment any day! Most that I've looked at so far either say yes or no to pets and have not listed "exceptions" if they allow them. I've been using har.com to look.

It does suck that some places flat out do not allow them but when you consider how much damage pets are able to cause it kind of makes sense :\ I'm pretty sure I'm going to tell our current landlord to just keep our deposit so she can use it to fix up her backyard >< lol

Real surprised Chows weren't on that list, but not surprised on the others including the Husky. And if you guys are honest with yourselves, you could see why. Just as I can see why Chows [my beloved breed] are [usually] on there. It all comes down to irresponsible ownership by people who have no business with the breed. Could you picture a Husky in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to work with them properly? Many get a husky because they have pretty blue eyes and look wolfish...very few actually know what they are getting into. I've seen plenty of stories, even here, where huskies have gotten out of hand and will bulldoze a owner if allowed...I can see them being a disaster with many.

But saying that, I will never rent again. Last time I rented was over 8 years ago and it was plain and simple hell. Not because of the breed I had, but just having a pet in general. Again, thanks to those who let their pets destroy property because it's not theirs, ruin it for those who are responsible owners. Took us over 6 months to find ONE place that allowed them, and that came with a hefty pet deposit and was basically a slum lord property...did very little to keep up on the dump and paid way too much rent. 

What we do for our pet family...indeed. Good luck on your search, don't give up...or better yet, go buy a house! haha :)

I may have found two options.

One is much farther from work than I wanted to live, but has a lot of land and already comes with a small fenced in dog run. It's totally renovated, three beds, two baths and a nice big fenced backyard with several mature trees, but the big part of the yard only has a 4 foot chain link fence. Backs up to a middle school so there is a huge amount of green space for walking the dog. It's about three minutes from one of my OH's best pals. It's a little pricey for the area, but I assume that's because it's all new. $1095 a month.

The second is only about 7 minutes from my work, a little more run down, but has a huge, brand new 6 foot fence in the medium sized back yard. It's cheaper, but definitely not as nice inside. 4 beds, 1.5 bath. It's in the city, so dog walking is bit more of a challenge, but it's across from an elementary school that has grass for walking her, and a 3 minute drive to a huge city park. And is within walking distance of one of my best friends. $945 a month.

They have both said they are ok with my dog. Not sure what to do!

The reason we have to move (besides wanting to move to somewhere with a real yard) is that there are numerous structural problems under my townhome and the two townhomes to the left of me that have caused flooding, warping of the floor and subfloors, and plumping problems. The only way for them to fix it is to rip the places down to the bones...which means we obviously can't live there while that is happening!

Wow, that’s crazy that they were built like that!  Sounds like you have a couple good options, the cost of living seems pretty reasonable in your area, I wish I could get something like that for around $1,000 a month!  My last apartment was 2 bed/2 bath and just under 1,100 square feet and we paid almost $1,200 per month.  I bought my townhome and my monthly payments with taxes and insurance is around $860 a month, so much cheaper than renting!

I may have found two options.

One is much farther from work than I wanted to live, but has a lot of land and already comes with a small fenced in dog run. It's totally renovated, three beds, two baths and a nice big fenced backyard with several mature trees, but the big part of the yard only has a 4 foot chain link fence. Backs up to a middle school so there is a huge amount of green space for walking the dog. It's about three minutes from one of my OH's best pals. It's a little pricey for the area, but I assume that's because it's all new. $1095 a month.

The second is only about 7 minutes from my work, a little more run down, but has a huge, brand new 6 foot fence in the medium sized back yard. It's cheaper, but definitely not as nice inside. 4 beds, 1.5 bath. It's in the city, so dog walking is bit more of a challenge, but it's across from an elementary school that has grass for walking her, and a 3 minute drive to a huge city park. And is within walking distance of one of my best friends. $945 a month.

They have both said they are ok with my dog. Not sure what to do!

The reason we have to move (besides wanting to move to somewhere with a real yard) is that there are numerous structural problems under my townhome and the two townhomes to the left of me that have caused flooding, warping of the floor and subfloors, and plumping problems. The only way for them to fix it is to rip the places down to the bones...which means we obviously can't live there while that is happening!

Cost of living is pretty reasonable. The reason we don't buy is 1. not sure we could get approved for a loan right now and 2. there's a chance that work could dry up for him and we need to be able to move if it does. 

Plus, we have TERRIBLE luck with everything we buy, and undoubtedly the minute we buy a house, it will need $20,000 in work to replace a foundation or roof or something!

Actually, I didn’t think it would work either.  Some loans only require a 3.5% down payment, and with anything you buy you would get an inspection done, and they would look for anything that would need to be replaced, especially big stuff like that. 

But it does come with drawbacks, like you said stuff breaks.  In an apartment or renting, if your oven stops working, you call the landlord.  Furnace broke?  Call the landlord.  Since I bought this place I have had to replace the stove, have the furnace fixed, replaced the dishwasher, and my central a/c will need to be replaced in a few years. 

But since your OH’s work is volatile I can understand not wanting to buy.  It’s a buyer’s market so if you have to sell it is a nightmare!  There are some townhomes here that have been for sale for the past 15 months!

Cost of living is pretty reasonable. The reason we don't buy is 1. not sure we could get approved for a loan right now and 2. there's a chance that work could dry up for him and we need to be able to move if it does. 

Plus, we have TERRIBLE luck with everything we buy, and undoubtedly the minute we buy a house, it will need $20,000 in work to replace a foundation or roof or something!

Actually, I didn’t think it would work either.  Some loans only require a 3.5% down payment, and with anything you buy you would get an inspection done, and they would look for anything that would need to be replaced, especially big stuff like that. 

But it does come with drawbacks, like you said stuff breaks.  In an apartment or renting, if your oven stops working, you call the landlord.  Furnace broke?  Call the landlord.  Since I bought this place I have had to replace the stove, have the furnace fixed, replaced the dishwasher, and my central a/c will need to be replaced in a few years. 

But since your OH’s work is volatile I can understand not wanting to buy.  It’s a buyer’s market so if you have to sell it is a nightmare!  There are some townhomes here that have been for sale for the past 15 months!

i'm more than ready to buy! we're just saving money so we can make a larger downpayment. :D

Seriously! We bought a 4 year old SUV with 65,000 miles, and within a year we had to rebuild part of the engine, rebuild the transmission and replace some other pretty expensive parts. I think we spent over $4,000 on repairs in the first 24 months.

We got a puppy, and she needed $2500 surgery within the first 6 weeks!

Even the places we rent always seem to end up with major problems. We've had flooding, warping, water main breaks, sump pump failures...we are just bad luck!