I Am An Animal Rescuer

LittleLuka

Sadly I am also an animal rescuer and probably always will be. When I was little and there was a bug in the house like an ant that was hurt (not spider I hate those things) I would build i habitat for them to try to keep them alive until they healed. They usually died a few days later but I tried.

Very emotional but, in the long run, I fear, not very helpful. It just seems to underline the view of animal rescuers as some kind of "special" people, "angels" etc etc. They aren't - they are just ordinary people who are doing what they can for a cause they believe in. I don't think it is helpful to put animal rescuers on a pedestal, head and shoulders above "ordinary" mortals. If you do that, it will be no surprise if ordinary people feel that they are not "good enough" to be a rescuer. Everyone can do something for rescue, whether it is fostering, transport, fundraising, or simply talking to people about the importance of not buying pups from dodgy breeders. 

My wife and I have been rescuing and rehoming huskies for 15 years, but we are not "angels", not canine centred versions of Mother Teresa - far from it! We are just ordinary people who have some spare time and energy which we choose to put into animal rescue and we (and every other rescue) need lots more ordinary people (angels need not apply) to help out in whatever way they can, whenever they can.

Very emotional but, in the long run, I fear, not very helpful. It just seems to underline the view of animal rescuers as some kind of "special" people, "angels" etc etc. They aren't - they are just ordinary people who are doing what they can for a cause they believe in. I don't think it is helpful to put animal rescuers on a pedestal, head and shoulders above "ordinary" mortals. If you do that, it will be no surprise if ordinary people feel that they are not "good enough" to be a rescuer. Everyone can do something for rescue, whether it is fostering, transport, fundraising, or simply talking to people about the importance of not buying pups from dodgy breeders. 

My wife and I have been rescuing and rehoming huskies for 15 years, but we are not "angels", not canine centred versions of Mother Teresa - far from it! We are just ordinary people who have some spare time and energy which we choose to put into animal rescue and we (and every other rescue) need lots more ordinary people (angels need not apply) to help out in whatever way they can, whenever they can.

i didn't look at it that way. I'm not asking to be idolized, I just thought it was a nice video which an animal rescue posted to thank their fosters.

i don't think it makes anyone feel as they aren't good enough, in fact i see that it could possibly motivate people to get involved in rescue. You get a special feeling when a dog you fostered or even just donated to gets adopted into their forever home.

And also, i think some of the directors of the animal rescues over here who take dogs that everyone else has given up on and don't seem like they are going to make it are angels. i'm an ordinary person and i help how i can (whether that be me fostering or just donating) but the things they do are incredible. They don't ask to be promoted, but honestly, they should be.

just my thoughts.

I can understand this and have heard it time and time again. There is a shortage of people that are willing to foster or help out at all. A little while ago I offered my services to a Husky rescue, I thought it would be a good way to learn more about the breed and to also give some help to a deserving cause. I filled in the necessary forms and have never heard a word from them since. If this is happening to others there is no surprise that there is a shortage of helpers.  

Gary.