Stopping My Husky Pooing Where She Sleeeps

Fangtastic

Hello.

I'm a new husky owner. I got my little girl 3 weeks ago aged 10 weeks. She's beautiful.

I didnt realise that for the first ten weeks she had lived out and not been handled. That does not bother me as I bond more deeply with her every day.

She is great with other dogs which is great news for me as I'm a dog walker. I also take in cases from behaviourists and vets.

She was allowed to go out on Monday for her walks and is off lead already and recalling to the whistle, with a reward of chicken. I know I'm a proud parent.

I understand that husky's can be hard to house train, although she does poo in the garden quite a bit and then bless her she will come in and pee on the paper.

The thing is when I go out, I put her in a cage for maybe 3 to 3 1/2 hrs, when I come in, she wld have pee'd and maybe poo'd in her cage but will lay in it and sleep.

I don't want to do that thing if rubbing her nose in it, I don't agree with that technique and also want her happy and feeling safe in her cage.

Any ideas please xx

You're right about not letting her lay in her own poo/pee. It'll just teach her that that behavior is ok.

Can you set a routine for her? Feed her, take her out, crate her at the same exact time to the minute every day? You might be able to realize when she poops and pees and take her out accordingly this way...also 10 weeks is young to be holding in for that long :c I've heard that the rule of thumb is for every month, hats how many hours they can hold it; so 2 months 2 hours, 3 months 3 hours...not sure how true this rule is but I went by it...

Good luck!

My storm used to do it. All the time.

We rode it out and stopped. We did have to bath him everyday for two weeks lol.

On the offlead, touchy subject here. You will be pushed to find people who agree with huskies offlead on here.

I personally wouldnt have a pup offlead, she needs to train properly on a lead. If you get it right now she will walk perfectly onlead when shes older.

Huskies recalls cannot be trusted, the horror stories ive heard. She may be fine till shes around 9 months ish and then one day not come back.

Training recall is important but use a 100ft lead for security.

Thank you fornall your help..

When I say she is off lead, she has a 20ft line attached to her so she is not going anywhere fast. She will have it on her till I feel she can be trusted.

I do want my husky to run free, I have met others that run free.

Being a new husky owner, a silly question, I understand about prey drive and perfect hunting skills, but if I put the work in now why do you think at 9 months she will run off.

Thank you xx

It is a proven thing that, while you may be lucky with one, the vast majority of huskies will not come back when let off the lead. I know someone who spent hours training their dog to come back, they had their dog on a training lead to start then took of the training lead and tried in an enclosed area. This went on for months, absolutely perfect. They then ventured even further as they felt the trust was there and it was still fine then one day the dog ran and didn't come back. The dog was never found and there was a heartbroken owner. Please be careful. Huskies are devious and they will gain your trust then shatter your dreams. Good luck.

Gary.

Thank you fornall your help..

When I say she is off lead, she has a 20ft line attached to her so she is not going anywhere fast. She will have it on her till I feel she can be trusted.

I do want my husky to run free, I have met others that run free.

Being a new husky owner, a silly question, I understand about prey drive and perfect hunting skills, but if I put the work in now why do you think at 9 months she will run off.

Thank you xx

Because when they hit adolescence they have been known to suddenly rebel against you.

Like I said, you will be hard pushed to find someone on here who will agree with letting a husky offlead unless in a secure enclosure.

Not worth the risk. They dont need to run free, theres loads of other things you can do with them to exercise them.

So many people believe they have the exception, that they have that one "special" dog. Untill it runs off, then its too late.

My husky has just reached the 9 month stage and although she would always come back as a pup, she will now no longer come back to me on recall until she is ready, and then when she does come to me we often have a food game until she is close enough for me to grab her collar to re-attach her lead (i hasten to add this is always within the perimeter of a fenced off area, such as a tennis court) There is NO way I could ever risk her off lead in the open, she is extremely alert and will see a dog or cat much sooner than I ever do, and on these occasions I may well not exist as her prey drive kicks in and she is totally focused on what she has seen, and I'm certain she would be long gone before I had time to do anything!

Adding on to the others in regards to the off-lead...

We have members on here that thought their husky was the exception - and they've never seen their huskies again. 99% of the time, huskies cannot be trusted off lead. Personally, I don't think its worth the risk.

I've had a few close calls with Suka and cars when we first got him...back when I ignored the advice of other husky owners.