Post Op Personality Change

Chula

Chula has become wicked aggressive - particularly with anything she has in her mouth. She bit OH yesterday when he tried to take a stick from her. She growls and nips at me too if I get too near her while she's eating. She was not like this before her surgery. Anyone else had this happen? Is it because she still feels wounded and is extra defensive? The difference in her personality is quite extreme.

You're probably quite right.

She is young and has had quite a trauma.

She's just trying to get a little control of things.

However you don't want her getting into bad habits.

How do you train for aggression? With food I've gone back to hand feeding. But with sticks and garbage she shouldn't have? I wonder if her e collar plays into it too. I hope this is temporary, she was always naughty but never mean.

Shadow used to get aggressive over bones etc things he didn't want you to have i taught him "trade" so if he gave me what he had he was rewarded with an extra tasty treat :) if i tried any other way of doing it i probably would not have any hands lol the food aggression regarding food in the bowl though i have never had that issue with either of mine i can take their bowls away and put my hand straight in there with no issues

It isn't a typical cone collar its a smaller inflatable one but hopefully I can take it off this weekend. The paper said 10 days which is Sunday. She has shown no interest in her incision.

oh im sorry my bad i thought by e collar you meant an electric collar! sorry

My pup is very food orientated and to prevent future food aggression my vet suggested offering something better like a piece of chicken in trade for her food. It may work with toys and is a more positive way of modifying unwanted behavior. 

oh im sorry my bad i thought by e collar you meant an electric collar! sorry

No! I cant imagine putting an electric collar on a puppy. I think they call them e collars for elizabethan collar. But it blocks her view from behind which I imagine could make a dog more wary. I might take it off for awhile today and see if her manners change.

Otherwise I guess I will have to try to teach her to trade, though I have to find something higher value than kibble which will be a challenge!

No! I cant imagine putting an electric collar on a puppy. I think they call them e collars for elizabethan collar. But it blocks her view from behind which I imagine could make a dog more wary. I might take it off for awhile today and see if her manners change.

Otherwise I guess I will have to try to teach her to trade, though I have to find something higher value than kibble which will be a challenge!

higher than kibble? easy ham? chicken?

i apologise again im sorry. in the uk we call electric collars e-collars.

We tested her yesterday by putting down various treats and her kibble. She always went for the kibble! Lord knows what kind of puppy crack they put in there!

lmao 

some dont need collars, we spent £10 on a comfy one for storm and he didnt need it, neither did angel.

Did they give her a steroid? Sometimes the antobiotics will do it, also the anaesthetic will do it. Takes a while to get all these nasty invasions out of the system.That will do it as well.

And NEVER take a any dog by the collar when they are in a sneery mood! Use a slip leash to get her attention, and never reward the behavior, or shout.Take the prescious item from her, and a time out.

Also, I think, that as Siberians are VERY clever, she is acting out because of her trauma. Taking it out  on those that she relied on to protect her, if you will.

She's just 16 weeks so we don't have a slip leash. It's hard to get things from her because we are afraid of hurting her or setting her off on her dramatic jumping and twisting because of her big incision.

I think the big collar makes it worse. I'm going to give trade a try here with her breakfast. She's currently sitting in the dining room with her head in her dish. Forgot to pick it up last night.

She's just 16 weeks so we don't have a slip leash. It's hard to get things from her because we are afraid of hurting her or setting her off on her dramatic jumping and twisting because of her big incision.

I think the big collar makes it worse. I'm going to give trade a try here with her breakfast. She's currently sitting in the dining room with her head in her dish. Forgot to pick it up last night.

The collar may be making it worse. With Balto he doesn't mind if we touch his food or get in his mouth since we started that from day one but if we come up from behind and surprise him he nips and barks. We had the cone of shame on after his fixing and he couldn't see behind him making him very on edge and nipping. If you watch a dog sleep they never put thier back to something they do not trust because that leaves them open and unprotected so they face away from things they trust so they can keep an eye out for intruders and since she cannot see behind her chula is more weary since that is her most vulnerable area

luka is only bone aggressive so i can't really help. i've worked with him where he knows i can take whatever of his that i want and he won't snap at me. just was consistent and also bribed him with treats. now he doesn't care. :)

i'm sure she will feel better after everything heals up!