Has Your Husky Done This Before?

Bambi92

Some may remember a topic about Sasha falling over.

Well we just come back from a walk and she done it again and I notice something that didnt click before it happens when another dog she doesn't know is running towards her barking. I seen the little white fluff ball before she(i say she because her owner was there and called her roxy lol) spotted Sasha and started to cross the road I was almost on the other side when the dog started running towards barking and Sasha turned looked at the dog and her back legs come out for under her and she fell to the ground this time her whole body fell to the ground but she didnt seem there for a few seconds because she was on the road still I had to get her off the road I said to her "Sasha get up baby off the road" (she knows what i mean when i say off the road) she sort of stumbled to the grass then when the owner took the dog out of sight she was fine and wanted to keep walking.

Sasha has only started doing this recently before when dogs went towards her barking she would get defensive towards most of them and lunge forward now she does this.

I've never seen a dog do it what could it be? I'm so damn confused as to what's going on with my baby girl it's scarring me because I don't know! :(

Has anyone else's dog done this?

It wouldn't be a submissive thing would it? She isn't normally submissive though.

Could she go into some sort of panic and that's how she responds to it? Sort of like a panic attack like we have? I'm just throwing things out there because I don't know what it is :(

Huh...no idea. What does her other body language look like? Ears flat at the back of her head? Tail in between her legs? 

If she 'doesn't seem quite there' and this only happens when she is surprised by another dog...might be a neurological thing. Have you taken her to the vet?

Ill have to pay more attention to what the rest does I was more worried about her being on the road today her tail is normally under her when she falls not sure whether she had to between her legs in the first place or if it goes between them as she falls it happens so quick.

She did this once 2years ago but didnt do it again till recently. I've taken her to the vet I tried to explain it to them and they said it could be the start of a seizure but they can't do anything about it because she doesn't do it much and now its becoming more frequent its really scarring me.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can find someone Sasha doesn't know with a dog she doesn't know and trying to video it maybe that way instead of my bad explaining I can upload it and you'd be able to see it and the vet can see what I'm talking about so I don't seem crazy (the first vet I seem about it kind of looked at me funny when I tried to explain it) only problem is finding someone that will do it the only dog I can think of is my OHs best friends brothers dog Sandy and maybe his brother if he has the time only thing is Sandy knows us I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not.

That's what I meant Al - that it might be the start of a seizure brought on by surprise. I guess posting when I'm tired isn't a good idea - couldn't find the right words!

Keep us updated on her, I think its a good idea to video tape it to show to the vet....had to do that once with Suka when my vet didn't know what I was talking about (she looked at me funny too). When I showed her the video she was all, "Oooooh! Now I understand. Okay so this is..."

From your description - the collapse and "she didn't seem there for a few seconds" it almost sounds like a petit mal seizure brought on by shock / surprise.  Solitary Howl's comment that it might be neurological in nature seems to say the same thing.

Take a look at this web site and see if it fits what you're seeing.

Thank you for that info it really does seem more like that I'm going to try and get the video of it this weekend some time if there not busy as I said above its happening more frequently now which if it is that isn't good :(

That's what I meant Al - that it might be the start of a seizure brought on by surprise. I guess posting when I'm tired isn't a good idea - couldn't find the right words!

Keep us updated on her, I think its a good idea to video tape it to show to the vet....had to do that once with Suka when my vet didn't know what I was talking about (she looked at me funny too). When I showed her the video she was all, "Oooooh! Now I understand. Okay so this is..."

I knew what you ment by it lol and ill keep everyone updated :)

Thank you for that info it really does seem more like that I'm going to try and get the video of it this weekend some time if there not busy as I said above its happening more frequently now which if it is that isn't good :(

I knew what you ment by it lol and ill keep everyone updated :)

I think we knew what Solitary Howl meant, but sometimes having someone phrase it differently help, too.  It's not my fault that (like me) she can't type in the morning! :)

Keep us posted.  Rusty use to do something similar when people would walk up to him that he did not know.  He would drop to the ground flat and has even urinated on himself.  He would not get up until that person left.  However if it could be a seizure then I would certainly get a video and show the vet.  Prayers sent your way!

We are going to try getting the video on Monday hopefully she doesn't work it out and completely ignore Sandy whenever there's a camera around she doesn't do what I want to get on camera it's like she knows lol

She is doesnt do it when people scare her she just jumps and turns her head to them with her mouth open really quick and it scares them and they jump away.

An example of that would be today we took her to meet the rspca groomer to see if she would like her (sasha wasn't really interested in her lol) we were sitting outside and a group of people come past and one of the guys stupidly went to touch her face without asking to touch her or letting sasha know what he was going to do and sasha did her normal thing and move her head with mouth open towards his hand never seen someone jump back so quick lol. But on there way back passed one of the girls kept saying that husky is so beautiful and asked a few questions about her and the other guy asked if she bites I said she might (because if I don't and she goes to bite them then I'm i get in trouble for it) all sasha did was stare at them as if to say "go away I don't want to talk to you" haha the girl kept saying I've never seen a husky with eyes like her there so beautiful. Then the guy killed it and said but aren't they viscous (sorry if I spelt that wrong mind blank lol) some hes met have been and he assumed sasha would be to but the girl was quick to say she doesn't look like she would hurt a fly lol

Thankfully sasha didn't fall over today she was calm and just wanted to be out and about :)

I'm not sure if its related or what but Sasha has been very different in the last two weeks I didn't think of it till the other day.

If I sit on the floor she comes up puts her head in my chest and won't move until she has cuddles kisses and a 5-10min scratch (she hasn't done this before) she also puts her head on my leg when I go to pat her she goes into crazy play mode but its different to how she normally plays and I don't know if its on the lines of aggression she bites my hands, shows her teeth, talks, woos, jumps around like a spastic and then all of a sudden she just lays down next to me (pretty much on top of me like she can't get close enough) puts either her head or her front paws on my legs and goes straight to sleep. If we are sitting on the lounge she sits near our feet (like normal) but she puts her head up and just starts talking to us like she's having a conversation with us (its really cute when she does it lol). Then we get to food she use to let me take her bowl if she's eating and I could touch her face/muzzle which I wanted her like because she was around kids (they use to go near her while eating and touch her and she would look at them then go back to eating) now (this has been since I moved in with my OH) she was ok for the first two months then when Missy started taking food from her bowl or going near her when she had a denta stick Sasha has start snapping at Missy like a warning to get away and she is also growling at me if I go near her or touch her while she's eating she's snapped at me a few times I tell her no and to calm down and she won't snap again till the next day. Need to get her out of that before the baby is born I'm trying to get Missy to stay away from her food but she doesn't listen to me and trying to tell my OH to teach her not to is an endless battle all he says is sasha eats her food. My reply is yeah but missy isn't going to bite sashas head off for it sasha is! It's frustrating!

Yesterday sasha sort of yelped when I touch her front paw but when I checked her over she didnt do it again. It was cold this morning she went out to the toilet came back in jumped on our bed and yelped again and tonight when I went to give her the denta stick I asked for her paw like normal she gave it to me and yelped again when I touched near her Jew claw (if I spelt that right) I check her paw nothing seemed to be wrong and she didnt yelp. She isn't limping or anything she still jumps around and plays zoomies with Dozer so I don't know why she is doing it.

Do they normally just change like this or should I be worried and look into it further?

And how do I get her to stop with the food? What I did last time isn't working now.

Sorry for it being long I just thought of it all lol