Tonsillectomy As An Adult?

aronoiiel

Has anyone had their tonsils out as an adult? I know most have them out as kids but my roomie just got his done two days ago and he is 27. I think he is habing complications so I made him go to the ER but was wondering if anyone had experience with it?

I had them out when I was 19, and most will tell you it's a lot harder as an adult...kids tend to pop back a lot faster. You're not really specifying what sort of complications they are having, so I can't really tell you if it's normal or not. I just know it sucked. :)

There was a guy on this years American Idol who had his tonsils out as an adult and it took 3 times longer than it should and left him with a speech impediment. :eek:

<p>I had them out when I was 19, and most will tell you it's a lot harder as an adult...kids tend to pop back a lot faster. You're not really specifying what sort of complications they are having, so I can't really tell you if it's normal or not. I just know it sucked. :)</p>

I didnt want to specify to much if no one had experience cause its gross to some heh. Its been two days into his recovery. Warning to anyone reading will be talking about blood and grossness past this point.

The first day he was home he slept all day (they sent him home the day of the surgery). The next day (Saturday) he spit up about a cup full of blood was a mix of bright red amd coagulated. I called the hospital theu said it was normal. Tonight he spend 10 minutes in the bathroom and covered the whole bottom of the tub in coagulated blood :( At this point I asked him twice if he wanted an ambulence cauze I was freaked. They came and took him to the hospital he had the surgery at. Its been a crazy night. Everything I have googled sayz bleedinv isnt normal so I dont know why that nurse said ig was.

I didnt want to specify to much if no one had experience cause its gross to some heh. Its been two days into his recovery. Warning to anyone reading will be talking about blood and grossness past this point.

The first day he was home he slept all day (they sent him home the day of the surgery). The next day (Saturday) he spit up about a cup full of blood was a mix of bright red amd coagulated. I called the hospital theu said it was normal. Tonight he spend 10 minutes in the bathroom and covered the whole bottom of the tub in coagulated blood :( At this point I asked him twice if he wanted an ambulence cauze I was freaked. They came and took him to the hospital he had the surgery at. Its been a crazy night. Everything I have googled sayz bleedinv isnt normal so I dont know why that nurse said ig was.

Yeah that doesn't sound normal at all...I can't swear it's not, but I didn't have any sort of bleeding like that, not even close. I had a lot of pain, I stopped eating and drinking [slept a lot as well, went home day off too]. Was a real challenge to get me to take my pills. Took quite awhile to heal. I would think bright red blood is a sign that it's still bleeding [ie not healing]. Glad you followed your instincts and took him to ER regardless...it's better to be safe than sorry.    

My husband needs this to get done and he refuses the operation. He suffers from sore throats nearly all the time and I feel really sorry to watch him going through this. I was trying to convince him to have his tonsils removed but now you scared me guys.. BTW he is 35

You can apparently still get tonsillitus even after having your tonsils out!

Anyway i knew a girl same age of me had her tonsils out as an adult and she just got sent home and her recovery went great no blood etc like you are describing :o

My husband needs this to get done and he refuses the operation. He suffers from sore throats nearly all the time and I feel really sorry to watch him going through this. I was trying to convince him to have his tonsils removed but now you scared me guys.. BTW he is 35

There are risks to every surgery, but regardless of the horrible pain I went through...I would do it all over again in a heart beat. In my case, I was sleeping ALL the time. The only time I was up was to eat, shower and go potty...and guess what, I fell asleep during those short period of time too. Imagine standing in the shower and then waking up to bonking your head on the side because you fell asleep. Soon as the tonsils came out and I recovered, things went back to normal. I wouldn't let it scare you, things have changed a lot since I had my surgery too. I just had a couple surgeries this past year and they put you under different, wake you up different and oh la la give you pain management different. lol 

I agree dont let it put you offf throw it in tbe back of your head as a just in case scenario so you know if it happens that it isnt normal. From what i have read vs what he told me his doc gave him pretty rotten post op advice OR my roomie chose.not to follow them so it is possible he did this to himself. From what understand he had crackers yesterday and the doc said thag was ok but only a day after surgery I would think you wouldnt be allowed solid food. Anyway regardless thanks to all Im glad I waznt just freaking for nothing and it is nice to know it isnt normal if I ever need mine out in the fufure. Im not sure what they did at the hospital but he will be discharved today so here is to hoping his recovery goes better O_o

Yikes!  doesn't sound good.  My friend had his out when he was 30 and it took him longer to recover.  He didn't experience anything like that though, he was just sore for about a week. 

I still have mine though, and don't plan on getting 'em out!

Ok so he is finally getting discharged and it sounds like they knicked the artery during surgery so he had to go back in and they had to carterize(im sure I butchered that) it. So for future reference if you have this happen or someone you know has the procedure and this happens go straight to the hospital >_< thanks so much to everyone who responded I have known my roomie since we were 11yrs old so I was totally freaked lol.

Although some blood is normal from just about every surgery (because lets face it you either just had something fixed or something removed) blood is going to come out. However, the blood you are describing is not normal at all and if he was throwing up especially making the hurling sounds that makes it worse. First if he is throwing up acid with it (which I do not know if he is since I cannot actually see the blood) then that will irritate the throat severely causing infection from the bile seeping in the wounds. If not blood but making the hurling sounds it could cause the sutures to come out or split apart which is also not good and can cause serious infections and the healing time to take a lot longer. I hope your roommate gets better soon.