Hello To All From Emma And Luna X

emmaj87

i found this site through google lastnite as i have been looking for a good forum to join as i couldnt find any i liked,but this one is fab :-) i am still figureing out how to do things but i am sure ill figure it out! i got my beautiful luna just over a week ago but picked her out at 4week :-) shes 9week now and shes responded well to house training and is doin well with her crate training :-) i have 2 young hildren and 3cats and the only problems i am havin is luna is a little ruff with the kids and coz they are young its hard for them to understand to say no, does anyone have any adcice on biteing?? and also i darent leave her with my cats as she is intreaged and chases them but doesnt attack, anyone know hows best to get her and cats used to each other? and also how do i upload some photos x

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Emma

Welcome to the pack :D

How old are you Children?  Huskies go through a nipping stage where they use their mouth more than their brain (sounds like some adults i know lol) it's something she will learn not to do so don't worry.  I used to give a yelp, say NO and walk away when my boys did it 

Cats - good luck, as you probably know they have a high prey drive, i had a cat before i got my 3 and they can't be trusted around her especially Koda sheesh - make sure your cat has a safe place to go and if Luna starts looking a bit tooooo interested divert her attention x

Pics - have a look here this should help x

Hi, welcome.......I only joined over the weekend, and have already found excellent info on this forum, and very helpful, friendly members....my own husky is 9 weeks, have had him for 2, now, having the same "puppy" issues" as you...so keep in contact as our pups are exactly the same age...I also have two children and he is nippy with them. I do not however have any cats....I do have a rabbit, but he is safely out of harms reach!!...good luck :)

welcome to the pack :D how old are your children? If they're old enough to be taught how to train Luna, then tell them to say "no" in a firm, loud voice whenever she nipped. Oh and of course, don't forget the chew toys :) you can teach her that even though your children's hands aren't supposed to be chewed on, she does have something she can chew if she wants. I have never had a puppy so this is just what I heard from other people, but have those chew toys ready in your hand all the time. Whenever you caught her chewing on something she shouldn't (like shoes etc) take the object away and give her the toy in exchange. She'll master it real soon :) good luck and congratulations!

my children are 4 and 6, but the 6yr old is very hyperactive and keeps flinching and jumping around luna, which gets luna very excited and she just plays and jumps like my daughter does, and although my daughter says no shes not saying it firm enough and just repeats herself so i guess its just something the kids and luna will eventually get used to, but ill keep distracting her with chew toys and telling her "NO" when she nips the kids. also what treats do you all use as luna doesnt like the ones if bought (wagg training treats and some chicken puppy treats) x

:hello: and :welcomepack: . I have used a seperate room for punishment as well so that if telling her has no effect put her into a seperate room on her own for a while. Time out, but never use her crate as punishment.  For treats mine get a carrot or half an apple each around lunchtime. I can't help you with the cats but you have already been told about the high prey drive that these dogs have so you will need to be careful. Nothing is safe around them as they are devious little devils when it comes to getting in and out of somewhere. One of the biggest problems that I have found is that people do their homework on these dogs but a lot don't seem to believe some of the stories they read about them. Then you get one and find out that all the stories were true :)

Gary.

aww she is beautiful, Freya had a tendency to nip when we got her though she still gets a bit over excited it does stop with time, we found the yelp method to help and also used rawhide chewsticks to distract her. Btw we found telling her "no mouth" instead of "Don't bite" helped people to relax  around her it sounds a lot less threatening to strangers

my children are 4 and 6, but the 6yr old is very hyperactive and keeps flinching and jumping around luna, which gets luna very excited and she just plays and jumps like my daughter does, and although my daughter says no shes not saying it firm enough and just repeats herself so i guess its just something the kids and luna will eventually get used to, but ill keep distracting her with chew toys and telling her "NO" when she nips the kids. also what treats do you all use as luna doesnt like the ones if bought (wagg training treats and some chicken puppy treats) x

pets at home training treats:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/dog-treats-for-small-dogs-by-pets-at-home100g-80851

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/training-treats-by-pets-at-home-670g-80861