Keeping Dog Out Of A Room

Chula

Since Chula is essentially a little furry Hoover, we've decided she needs to stay out of the kitchen as too many things she shouldn't eat accidentally get dropped (onions, knives, beer bottle caps, etc). This is proving to be IMPOSSIBLE!

She gets SO mad when we kick her out. I've been working on positive training by having her sit right at the edge of the kitchen and telling her to stay, and if she stays for a bit, going back and giving her a treat. But once she gets her treat, she's back in the kitchen. If you try to make her leave she will bark and woo and holler and yelp and put her ears back and plop her butt down and nip at you if you try to guide her out. The only other place she displays this type of behavior is when she gets on the sofa and starts to climb on people, and you tell her to get down. She backs into the cushions and barks and throws a tantrum. She will ALWAYS get down for treats, but I can't just constantly give her treats or she will behave badly just to get them!

It absolutely feels like "dominant" behavior, and I'd like to bring and end to it.

I know we can baby gate it, but is there any way to train her to stay out of a room without one?

Put a door in the hole. :P

they are persistant. especially around food.

training is great but will never override thier need / want to eat.

You're in the FOOD room and so they must be too in case you drop something

and they can assist you with the cleaning up :)

Yeah you can do but it will take time :) 

Also i wouldn't say she is being dominant by throwing a tantrum she is just throwing a tantrum because she isn't getting her own way mine do it all the time i just ignore them lol

To me it doesn't sound much like dominant behaviour - she's just being a puppy. :P

When she throws a tantrum - ignore her. She knows that if she throws a tantrum, she'll eventually get what she wants (eventual treat (for staying in the other room), attention, or you'll give up and let her stay in the kitchen.) They're smart dogs - they know what they can get away with! 

If you don't want to try a baby gate...would it be possible to distract her with something while you're in the kitchen? Maybe a kong full of stuff. Suka takes around 45 minutes to finish a large kong full of kibble and wet dog food (frozen and packed down, though.)

I guess the dominant part is because on the couch she is trying to stand ON people. Though I guess she might just think we are fun to stand on because she's getting a response. And the refusing to move, and nipping if we attempt to make her move, makes it feel like she is telling us we are in HER space, not the other way around. 

I cant wait until we are in a house (in three weeks or so!) and not a townhouse and I can let her bark and scream and not worry that my neighbor will be bothered. I keep telling her that the days of her being allowed to get away with stuff just to stay quiet will soon be over!