Shadow's First Bike Ride

huskylynz

Thought i could do with another way to help Shadow burn off some energy (and me some calories! ;) ) So yesterday we went out on the bike, i was just walking with bike and Shadow at first and he kept staring at it, after a while when we got to the track we usualy walk down i got on and set off, he was bit scared i think, suddenly took off so i had to jump off but after a couple of attempts he started not to worry about the bike running him over and enjoyed running next to it. He was great! Just ran along side me not pulling at all :D...new way to burn off some steam! Going to keep taking him out for bike rides, that should keep him happy :wub:

How did you have him attached ??

I had him on the lead and wrapped around my wrist. He has a very good recall but I thought it would be better that if i came off i still had hold of him! He was great though, once we got going he didn't try to pull at all, just ran at whatever speed I was going, which was pretty slow really to start him off.

Not wanting to jump down your throat. . .

However that's incredibly dangerous.

if he takes off all of a sudden at a tangent

either away from you or around the front or back wheels

you could be yanked and the bike would twist underneath you.

the resulting crash could injure you very badly possibly also the pooch,

or he could get away from you in the process and be off.

Please, please, please, if you want to ride with the dog get a Walkydog / Springer atacchment

or bikejoring attachment and harness.

they make it Safe.

Not wanting to jump down your throat. . .

However that's incredibly dangerous.

if he takes off all of a sudden at a tangent

either away from you or around the front or back wheels

you could be yanked and the bike would twist underneath you.

the resulting crash could injure you very badly possibly also the pooch,

or he could get away from you in the process and be off.

Please, please, please, if you want to ride with the dog get a Walkydog / Springer atacchment

or bikejoring attachment and harness.

they make it Safe.

Thanks for advice, i will do that. I was going at a very slow speed yesterday so that if he was to run infront of bike, i would just be able to put my foot down and stop. But you are right and il get something safer to attach him :)

Thanks for advice, i will do that. I was going at a very slow speed yesterday so that if he was to run infront of bike, i would just be able to put my foot down and stop. But you are right and il get something safer to attach him :)

Thank you.

With the prey drive or even simple curiosity then can and do suddenly decide to sod off in silly directions.

with the WalkyDog or springer You are in control at all times.

Thank you.

With the prey drive or even simple curiosity then can and do suddenly decide to sod off in silly directions.

with the WalkyDog or springer You are in control at all times.

Are they really that good Andy?? Skye is a nightmare for deciding to wonder off here there and everywhere and her prey drive is ridiculous!

Are they really that good Andy?? Skye is a nightmare for deciding to wonder off here there and everywhere and her prey drive is ridiculous!

Yes, Yes and yes.

Darwin has had me safely up to 25mph !!!

Can they not just pull you sidewards with a springer? We have a scooter so they go up front but we're also thinking of getting a bike. A bit useless if they'd be able to pull off to the side though!

Ive had a look, it says they have an emergency release in case of sudden tugs...although i dont want him getting free then running off either?

I have a walkydog and they are absolutely brilliant.  I would never dream of taking mine out without it.  I also double up with another lead around the seat post that is slack just in case for any reason the cord inside the walkydog breaks, but then I am very cautious.