Does This Fur Make Me Look Fat?

Applebear

I just had Ro weighed at vet and he came out at 72 pounds. He was 44 when I first brought him home, then 55 a couple months later and haven't weighed him since. He's a super lean boy so I was a bit surprised he is that much. 

So what's the average weight for everyones huskies here? Any surprises?

Yuki weighed 34 at the vets today. I was surprised, but it was a different scale than the one I've weighed her on before, and she was sitting down rather than standing and I don't think all her weight was on it properly. Surely she hasn't lost two pounds in the past month.. :P

Weighing them is such a pain, they don't want to get on the scale and then all they want to do is get off after you struggle to get them on. I don't think it matters if they sit or stand [Ro sat, nails dug into pad gripping for dear life], but if they are moving a lot...I'm guessing that would make it harder. Maybe she's one of those girls that watches their weight and put one foot off the scale. :D

Part of our problem is that he is a cross.

So we don't really know what half of his heritage is dominant.

He might be heavy for a Husky but light for the other half.

Sorry :(

Weighing them is such a pain, they don't want to get on the scale and then all they want to do is get off after you struggle to get them on. I don't think it matters if they sit or stand [Ro sat, nails dug into pad gripping for dear life], but if they are moving a lot...I'm guessing that would make it harder. Maybe she's one of those girls that watches their weight and put one foot off the scale. :D

The second time the staff weighed her and she was kinda halfway on the scale. When I weigh her at the vets I have her get on and stand still in a standing position, with slack on the leash. So that its a perfect weigh. Oh well we go in to my regular vets this friday and that'll be her 8 month weigh in :D

I weigh mine every month on the same day so I can see how much they grow. 

Nikko is holding steady at 54lbs (24.5kg), and Yukon is at 43lbs (19.5kg). 

Nikko has stayed the same weight since he was he was 9 months old, but before then he gained an average of 5-7lbs per month.  Yukon has gained at a slower weight between 2-4lbs per month. 

He doesn't look heavy, in fact he looks pretty trim.  Since he's half chow - which are typically a lot stockier than a Husky - it's not too surprising that he weighs in at a bit more.  Also remember that muscle weighs more - and he does look to be well muscled - a lot of the weight could be right there.  I'd be less concerned with how much he weighs and more concerned in how he carries it ( as fat or muscle ) and how he looks to you.

I don't think he's fat...the title is meant to be a joke. :) Do I think he is heavier than he looks, yes. Chows are topically around 50 pounds [i'm not fat, I'm fluffy!], but I wouldn't describe Ro's body type more chow than husky. Chow standard really isn't all that much different weight wise, but they are a shorter breed than the husky. However, standard wasn't kept in mind when breeding Ro...irresponsible breeding at it's finest. 

It is kind of sounding like I am upset by Ro's weight. I assure you I'm not :)...was just a bit surprised, as he doesn't look that heavy and I don't *think* he's that much bigger than a husky size wise...time lapse...I just measured him and he is around 25 inches at the withers. In the end, I think Ro is just a muscular dog, as Al stated. I didn't realize how light huskies were in reality, but I guess I really have nothing to go on. I've had Chows and little football [PUNT!] dogs most my life.  :lolman:

The second time the staff weighed her and she was kinda halfway on the scale. When I weigh her at the vets I have her get on and stand still in a standing position, with slack on the leash. So that its a perfect weigh. Oh well we go in to my regular vets this friday and that'll be her 8 month weigh in :D

Maybe you can try bribing with a treat? I tried with Ro, but he didn't pay much attention to it...too worried about what we were doing to him. lol

Maybe you can try bribing with a treat? I tried with Ro, but he didn't pay much attention to it...too worried about what we were doing to him. lol

I can weigh her fine. I was just saying that when the vets office at the spay center weighed her, it said 34, but I felt it was inaccurate due to the fact that they didnt have her standing and she was leaning against the wall / kinda of the scale. When I take her to the regular vet, I personally weigh her and she stands fine for it, so I'll know if shes actually lost 2 pounds in the past month or not.

I can weigh her fine. I was just saying that when the vets office at the spay center weighed her, it said 34, but I felt it was inaccurate due to the fact that they didnt have her standing and she was leaning against the wall / kinda of the scale. When I take her to the regular vet, I personally weigh her and she stands fine for it, so I'll know if shes actually lost 2 pounds in the past month or not.

Ah ok gotcha, yeah I could see where you would think it was inaccurate there...especially if she was leaning on wall. I would think that'd take a little weight off? 

Ah ok gotcha, yeah I could see where you would think it was inaccurate there...especially if she was leaning on wall. I would think that'd take a little weight off? 

Yeah I think they were just making sure she was between the 30-61 pound range, and were weighing her kind of quick. Can't wait to see the actual weigh this friday :)