Moving With A Puppy

Chula

I think we have found our new home. We will be moving around mid-April, and Chula will be just under five months at the time. 

Do you think she will need to be re house trained? We currently are all hardwood and there is some carpet in this place. During potty training she LOVED to pee on our rugs/towels/anything soft that ended up on the floor. Little worried about that. 

Any other tips/issues you've encountered during a move with a dog, especially a young one?

The good news is, this will be her backyard. There's one spot on the fence that needs fixing, and if she's not being watched for any length of time she'll probably have to be on a tie out so she doesn't go digging under, but she will be so happy to have a place to run free (and I'll be so happy to have a place to send her out to pee without being on a leash).

fK578Mol.jpg

Skye was 5 months when we moved to this house :) They did get a little bit stressed but its to be expected when you are moving we went and visited the house before we moved and walked them around the area and also in the house so if you are able to do this take up the opportunity :) 

On the day we took the dogs over and kept them crated whilst moving things into the house at first (both mine are crate trained though so were fine.. then let them out in the garden for a bit whilst putting their proper crates up into the kitchen and then crated them again but with a tasty bone! I also got them new toys for the new house etc

I had no issues with toilet training as the first thing Skye did was go to the toilet in the garden etc i did not let them into the house first i let them in the garden first before bring them in. 

TBH they settled in really quickly and fell into routine quickly as this was the house we decided to crate them downstairs at night and they are not allowed upstairs anymore where as they were in the last house so id say start at you mean to go on :)

The house has both upstairs and downstairs bedrooms but I think we are going to make our bedroom on the main floor and have upstairs be totally off limits to her.

She currently has her bedtime crate upstairs by our bed (and she sleeps wonderfully in there), and her daytime crate downstairs in the dining room - and often we find her napping in there. So she's great with crates, except doesn't like to be in there while we're up and moving around unless she has a treat ball. We'll need to decide if we stick to a one crate system or still have a bedtime crate and a daytime crate. My OH loves having her in the bedroom as long as she isn't eating socks.

Good idea bringing her over there before we move in. It's about four blocks from one of my best friends and she has a big old labrador that Chula has "played" with before, so we could take her over for visits and walk around the neighborhood. The good news is that it's so close to my office that I can easily go check on her when needed during the day the first few weeks we are there. 

Thats great! :) I just got fed up of having to hoover EVERYWHERE lol now i only have to hoover once a week upstairs rather than every day like i do downstairs! Plus my bed is now never furry :D 

Yeah mine aren't impressed if i crate them and i am still here but they winge for a few minutes then are quiet lol if they have a frozen kong etc they are fine though so perhaps do something like that that will take some time to get through whilst you move your stuff in :) 

Yeah definitely walk around the area helps them to get to know the new smells etc to :)

Thanks for the tips. I'm really hoping they will be agreeable to pulling up at least the living room carpet. The tenants who are leaving next week have about 8,000 animals, so the carpet is in rough shape. If they get under there and there is wood (and there is in the rest of the first floor, so i'm guessing there is) I've asked if they'd consider leaving the floor bare. That way there'd only be carpet upstairs and I'd worry less about the potty training issue.

I'm so happy for my puppy to have an enclosed yard. Now we just need to meet some neighbors with doggies for her to play with. I did notice when we were seeing the house that a couple of the neighbors have dogs. 

I moved from an apartment to a house when Luka was around that age. Honestly, he has never had an accident in the house from day one. This was also when he was having accidents in the apartment all the time! Maybe Luka is just weird but it was such a relief and the fenced in backyard has helped loads.

Looks like a nice place.

Hope you're all happy there.

Good luck with the move :)

I cannot possibly tell you how happy am I to be able to let her out to pee or run around when she is going nuts! In the small patio/yard we have now, she can fit under the fence so she has to be taken out to wee! It will be such a stress relief for me.

I moved from an apartment to a house when Luka was around that age. Honestly, he has never had an accident in the house from day one. This was also when he was having accidents in the apartment all the time! Maybe Luka is just weird but it was such a relief and the fenced in backyard has helped loads.