So Huskys And Cats??

emmaj87

how many people have huskys and cats that are fine together? can u have cats and huskys in a home together?? and what signs do huskys show for likeing the cat? abd what are bad signs that the husky will attack?? i have 3 cats and lunas been wineing and tryin to be with them, she doesnt attack them she just chases to be with them then sits down infront of cat!! is this a good sign or not? as i dnt want the cats gettin hurt

Usually if the Husky grows from new puppy to adulthood with cats then there is a good chance that they

will be fine together.

However other neighbours cats are still fair game.

In truth it's about how high a prey drive your dog has,

the chasing games might be fun at first and all innocent however once the

prey drive really kicks in then the fun chasing may just go over the border into full on chasing and hunting.

You have to remember you are talking about a primal built in instinct.

Hey there Emma. Stormy's links are gold. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and copy paste my answer from one of them.

"We currently have nine cats and three huskies. (Two are puppies though so I'm just going to focus on Niko.) Niko started in a house with six cats. He's lived in a house with other cats he hadn't met, had three new cats added (Two of them are four month kittens currently), and even met A LOT of strays on the street. So far, Niko has shown no desire to kill them. There's even been three separate occasions where he's seen a stray running and went to chase but as soon as I yelled "Niko leave it!" he's left the cats alone every time. There was also another time that the run and chase happened so fast I didn't catch it and Niko could have EASILY had that cat if he so desired, luckily, he was just wanting to play and only nosed it. Then there's been a few days that we've come home and Niko's broken out of his kennel and he's never hurt any of the cats in that time period either. (Kennel is fixed now and 'escape proof'.) I know this could change in a heartbeat though, and we are always watching Niko for signs of change. As it is, he's almost always in the room with cats, he has learned since he was a pup that he wasn't allowed to chase, and he doesn't. This of course, is just Niko's individual experience though, and I'm sure it varies from person to person.
As for getting older and chasing back.... Simon is 17 and a half years and is to say the least, top shit around our house. He's swatted Niko plentiful of times. There's only been a few times when Simon has been growling after a swat that Niko's lowly growled back and I usually make a noise at him to distract him and then chase Simon off myself and there's never been a problem behind that.
In short, it's certainly possible to keep a Husky-Cat household if you keep on top of it. We let the Huskies and the cats mingle and when the dogs ignore the cats, or the dog sees one of the cats run by and doesn't chase, we usually give them a treat. This obviously proved useful with Niko, but again, I can not guarantee results. XD
None of our cats are declawed by the way, and we make sure they have safe spots to run to just in case. Cat tree, counter, table, baby gates like mentioned above, etc. Niko is crate trained though, like I said. He might someday graduate and be allowed to roam the house free with them, but he's got a lot more proving to do before that day."

We've two cats plus the dogs. One was already here when we introduced the dogs. The other came in after the third dog. I was more concerned at doing it that way. However they're fine. They tend to chase the outside cat to the back door in the garden but he won't leave the fence until someone is there to warn the dogs off him. Inside they never bother him byes happy to lay on the floor an sleep near them. The inside cat is wicked with them. She gives them a crafty swipe at every opportunity she rubs up to them and will both stand their ground for treats.

The only thing the dogs attempted when they were younger was trying to pick the cats up by their heads. It wasn't rough, it was quite gentle but immediately discouraged lol. They'd just open mouth an try to get hold somehow. They all bombard the outside cat after he comes in as he's a hunter an they sniff his mouth. He doesn't like it so gives them a swipe an they leave him alone.

Just be calm an confident. Discourage unwanted behaviour and if the cat doesn't like it's personal space invaded you'll know when you hear a yelp