Wainwrights Puppy Food Help!

griff-uk

Hi everyone,

I have decided to stick with Wainwrights complete puppy food for Sapphire. My question is exactly how much should i give her in a 24 hour day? I have worked it out to be around 500g as she weighs 16.9kg. She is 7 months old and i was also wondering what can i also give her other that the wainwrights complete dry food? Can i mix it with anything. I have read a few of the stickies on here but still i want to make sure i get things right. Could anyone help me by telling me what they feed over a 7 day period etc Obviously i want to give her something more appetising during the weeks than giving her just the dry food. 

Thankyou in advance

Regards

Mark

I feed mine on Wagg working dog (Chicken flavour). There is a product available called Nature Diet, which comes in a variety of flavours and raw. In the morning they get 200gm of Wagg and Nature Diet mixed and in the evening they get 200gm of raw chicken mince and Wagg mixed. At midday they all get a raw carrot.  All mine seem to be thriving on it especially Sasha. After she had her pups she wouldn't gain any weight at all. She really did look sickly but since I started to feed this diet she has put on weight and now looks really healthy.

Gary.

That's a lot you're feeding in my opinion but my general rule when Ghost was still a pup was that the right amount was when he had solid stool. He eats one cup a day now.

As for treats and such, let your fantasy go wild, just check dog safe foods (e.g. onion...). And just don't give too much of the good stuff as some dogs then refuse to eat their regular kibble.

Ghost has a pretty wide palette of fruit snd vegetables, from fruit his favourites are any exotic we have at home - mango, (the middle part of) pineapple. From vegetables peas, sweet potatoes, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes (I give him small ones and cherry tomatoes asche plays with them), and really there are many choices. Also plain green salad. You can either give vegetables raw or cooked through day or just cook and mix in the kibble.

He likes cheese but I only give it in few occassions.

Herbs and seeds are also good, or just Ghost likes them, like pumpkin seeds.

There was one more thing I wanted to write but I forgot it just now.

That's a lot you're feeding in my opinion but my general rule when Ghost was still a pup was that the right amount was when he had solid stool. He eats one cup a day now.

As for treats and such, let your fantasy go wild, just check dog safe foods (e.g. onion...). And just don't give too much of the good stuff as some dogs then refuse to eat their regular kibble.

Ghost has a pretty wide palette of fruit snd vegetables, from fruit his favourites are any exotic we have at home - mango, (the middle part of) pineapple. From vegetables peas, sweet potatoes, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes (I give him small ones and cherry tomatoes asche plays with them), and really there are many choices. Also plain green salad. You can either give vegetables raw or cooked through day or just cook and mix in the kibble.

He likes cheese but I only give it in few occassions.

Herbs and seeds are also good, or just Ghost likes them, like pumpkin seeds.

There was one more thing I wanted to write but I forgot it just now.

That is what is recomended on the guidance on the back of the packaging :-/ Just the info i needed so thankyou for that :-)

I feed mine on Wagg working dog (Chicken flavour). There is a product available called Nature Diet, which comes in a variety of flavours and raw. In the morning they get 200gm of Wagg and Nature Diet mixed and in the evening they get 200gm of raw chicken mince and Wagg mixed. At midday they all get a raw carrot.  All mine seem to be thriving on it especially Sasha. After she had her pups she wouldn't gain any weight at all. She really did look sickly but since I started to feed this diet she has put on weight and now looks really healthy.

Gary.

Thanks for your reply Gary. How much is the raw chicken mince etc on average???

I feed mine on Wagg working dog (Chicken flavour). There is a product available called Nature Diet, which comes in a variety of flavours and raw. In the morning they get 200gm of Wagg and Nature Diet mixed and in the evening they get 200gm of raw chicken mince and Wagg mixed. At midday they all get a raw carrot. All mine seem to be thriving on it especially Sasha. After she had her pups she wouldn't gain any weight at all. She really did look sickly but since I started to feed this diet she has put on weight and now looks really healthy.

Gary.

gary, you arent meant to feed raw and kibble.at the same time as they digest at different rates.

can they eat banana peel lol?????

not sure i wouldnt theres no nutritional value in it.

In dinners aurora just gets kibble occasionally she gets a bit of sardines or mackerel with it if the elder ones have it.

Or i get fish and fry it.

I have just been to my local butchers and asked about organs, scraps etc and he just gave me a box full. Check out the pics, i really dont know what to do with it all?? How do i implement any of this into his diet?

2013-03-21094237.jpg

2013-03-21094212.jpg

2013-03-21094221.jpg

I got loads from him and all for free. Also ive got these rib cages (pic below) which i cant fit into the freezer any ideas on what i can do with them or im going to have to throw them out now as they have been defrosting

2013-03-21100728.jpg

Please help me out with your info as i dont want to just give sapphire raw meat and upset her stomach ect.

OK With the wainrights if you want to add a little bulk, you can give them cold boiled rice.

Not much nutritional value but makes them feel full up.

As you've just bought all that from the butchers be careful on the amount of offal you give, such as liver has to be given in tiny amounts.

In this forum section

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/forum/48-food-diet/

scroll down to the RAW feeding pinned topics they are awesome.

Hey :) What is all the different meats do you know??

I have worked out at your pups weight she needs 507 grams per day currently to gain weight etc which you want for a growing pup!! But if you do it this weigh you will need to keep getting her weighed and figure out the amount as she gets bigger which is 3 percent of her body weight :)

The other way you can do it is percent of average adult weight and feed that :)

Also.... i would personally let alot of that defrost slightly so that you can seperate into portions and re freeze :) (it will be fine!) 

Only thing i would advise it dont feed it at the same time as your kibble and also if you are going to feed both perhaps do kibble in the morning and raw in the evening? (obv still all of it needs to come to the daily allowance!)

Those ribs i would defrost slightly and chop up and feed as a nice tasty bone treat :D Be careful not to feed to much bone in a week though the advice with raw is 80 percent meat 20 percent bone and 10 percent offal etc :) (you can do this however you want as long as the whole week is that amount) you can vary it... good way to tell is by poo (lovely i know lol) to much bone the poo goes chalky white and crumbly (to hard), to little it goes softer and runny :) you want them to be hard poos but not to white :)

Thank you storm that's very helpfull. I've just given her some raw pork I beleive it to be lol she is loving it! I think most of what I was given was pork there are also some off cuts of chicken which I have separated and put into separate bags etc. I also have a few large bits of liver which I know I have to be carefull how much I give her each week. Sapphire refused her kibble this morning as I have put her on the wainwrights large breed puppy 2-18 months food and she was recently eating winalot casseroles tins. But I'm not feeding her that rubbish any more. I can't beleive how helpfull everyone has been on this forum, again thank you to you all :-)

Thanks for your reply Gary. How much is the raw chicken mince etc on average???

About £4.29 for 2 kg. Pets at Home. If you shop around you may be able to get it cheaper. I suppose it depends on what area of the country you're in. Sorry just noticed that you say you have changed her food. I hope you have done this over a period of time. You normally need 7 - 10 days to change from one food to another and this should be done by gradual introduction of the new food until it has been changed. If you just change it you can run the chance of stomach problems.

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

gary, you arent meant to feed raw and kibble.at the same time as they digest at different rates.

I have heard this before Louise but I have no idea why!! Mine have only been right since I started feeding this way. Their  poo is right, they have not been sick, apart from when they pick up sticks which have blown off the Birch tree, and they are putting on weight. Sasha hasn't looked so good since she had her pups. Does it cause long term problems with them or is there another reason?

Gary.

About £4.29 for 2 kg. Pets at Home. If you shop around you may be able to get it cheaper. I suppose it depends on what area of the country you're in. Sorry just noticed that you say you have changed her food. I hope you have done this over a period of time. You normally need 7 - 10 days to change from one food to another and this should be done by gradual introduction of the new food until it has been changed. If you just change it you can run the chance of stomach problems.

Gary.

Thanks Gary, so how long would the 2kg last roughly? I'll be honest I don't have any of the purines tins to slowly transfer her over to the wainwrights. I knw I've made a schoolboy error here.

not sure i wouldnt theres no nutritional value in it.

In dinners aurora just gets kibble occasionally she gets a bit of sardines or mackerel with it if the elder ones have it.

Or i get fish and fry it.

Thank you, I forgot fish. :D

That's a lot of meat and bones you got there, I got just one bone from my butchers, but I'm not complaining. You may want to freeze it for 24 hours though before you give it to your pup, to get rid of any bacteria.

Thank you, I forgot fish. :D

That's a lot of meat and bones you got there, I got just one bone from my butchers, but I'm not complaining. You may want to freeze it for 24 hours though before you give it to your pup, to get rid of any bacteria.

It was all already frozen :-)

Fish I would actually freeze for 2 weeks to make it completely safe.

Your welcome :) liver I only give around 25 grams per week. I freeze in 50 gram portions (2 dogs) have to hide shadows though he does not like it!

Not much to add but wainwrights have free measuring cups that come in handy located on the shelves. The reason you don't feed kibble and raw together is because they're digested at different rates, or so I've heard. I've also heard that large breed food can encourage medium sized dogs to grow too rapidly, so watch out for signs of that but don't take it as gospel.