Vet Tech Suggested Awful Food

love4Luna

Luna had her first checkup yesterday. While we were waiting on the vet, the vet tech was checking Luna out. She asked me was food she is on, and I told her she came home on Iams puppy but we are gradually transitioning her to TOTW. The lady gave me an odd look and then tried to push another product on me. 1st 3 ingredients: corn, wheat flour, chicken by-product. I told her no way. Dogs are not herbivores, you don't see dogs in the wild out attacking people's corn or wheat fields. They are meat eaters, and I told her that. I only feed my pets food where the first ingredients were actual real meats, not grains or by-products (grain free preferred).

I assume I got my point across. When we were leaving, I happened to see the vet tech reading the ingredient lists of the foods they carry.

(BTW, I was very nice and polite about it. I didn't snap or yell at the poor girl. My guess is some of the food they carry there is pushed by reps, just like certain medications at Dr offices are pushed by pharmaceutical reps. They get compensated for pushing that particular med.) Just my opinion.

My vet never suggested a particular kind of food, but when I got Yukon the breeder had him on puppy chow.  I told my vet I was switching him to TOTW and she said that puppy chow isn't a bad food.  WHAT???  As someone else said it is like eating white castle every day, and it is awful food! 

I wasn't happy when I found out the breeder was feeding them puppy chow either, if I ever get another puppy I will be doing some more investigation first!

While most vet's are great at their job, I would disagree that they are on top of the hierarchy of animal knowledge.

It's a combination of vet's, breeder's, trainers, judges etc.. That carry good knowledge.

My local vet carries quality dog food which has human grade meat as the first ingredient, though there are some area's which I can see they lack knowledge in outside of veterinary practices. 

EDIT: It is obvious they are doing their best to get people to buy their food at our vet as well.

Our vet carries a line of pet food from that company we all know about; first word starts with an "S", second word starts with a "D".  However, he does not push it.  It's there, if you ask him about it, he'll tell you what he knows or his opinion, and he'll tell you if it's his opinion.  We've had conversations several times about commercial dog food and how it varies, not only from manufacturer to manufacturer, but from lot to lot within the same product line.  I guess one of the reasons we like our vet so much, is he's not a salesperson, he's a vet and he truly cares about our furry family members.

It will never cease to amaze me, however, that some in the vet care field remain one-sided in the information they are aware of, buy into the hype from certain product suppliers, and fail to do some basic research on their own to develop there own basis for knowledge.  But when they take the high road and give little consideration to your point of view, (which would naturally be based on research, and interaction with others in the realm of Husky-Owners), it is at that point that I consider the source and move on.