Do You Remember When.....

Povodny

It literally took an act of god to close your school? This is mainly aimed at uk people of a certain age who like me will remember when no matter what, your school would open. Recently it seems they close at the drop of a hat !

Or am I just showing my age? Lol

:rofl:  I'm going to show my age Nicola even if your not. The winter of '63 my old man had to dig us out of our little cottage the snow was that bad and I still had to go to school. 200yds and it took us nearly half an hour to get there but it was open. These days it's health and safety gone mad.

Gary.

:rofl:  I'm going to show my age Nicola even if your not. The winter of '63 my old man had to dig us out of our little cottage the snow was that bad and I still had to go to school. 200yds and it took us nearly half an hour to get there but it was open. These days it's health and safety gone mad.

Gary.

Exactly!!! The winter of 63 was horrendous .. I was born in 64 an missed it... But in the last couple of years its gone mad how often schools close. My ex dad in law was born here an grew up in Edmonton Alberta. He remembers as a child in the 30's listening to the radio for news of school closures due to snow, but even he will say it didn't happen often. An look at the snow Alberta gets!! An it was the 30's!!

Yep, No heating coz the pipes had frozen over.

everyone in coats hats n gloves. :eek:

But then in those days almost nobody had cars and all the kids lived close enough to walk to school.

Nowadays the kids STILL live close enough to walk but the parents drive them. :facepalm:

Yep, No heating coz the pipes had frozen over.

everyone in coats hats n gloves. :eek:

But then in those days almost nobody had cars and all the kids lived close enough to walk to school.

Nowadays the kids STILL live close enough to walk but the parents drive them. :facepalm:

You reminded me of the oil strike!! Our school had oil fired heating.. As in NO heating due to strike (79/80) and we STILL went to school. As you say, just kept coats on

School never closed when i was there :(

Around this way though the schools are still open i think yorkshire people are a bit tougher than down south lol

Being a lanky person there'd be some debate as to who be the toughest.. Yorkshire or Lancashire lol

School never close here  :huh: Even when the entire public transport has been completely paralysed by the weather (which happens a lot actually) and only a fraction of the class can make it, school will stay open.

I've always drooled at the thoughts of schools closing with bad weather. That way we can actually enjoy it for once instead of working against it.

when i was at school it never closed because of snow.

my kids school is a 2 mile walk away and there's didnt shut when we had snow all the other schools did but not theres xx

Look out here comes a southener!  Who you calling soft?!  lol  :P

As I wasn't born until '79 I haven't a clue about the snow in the 60s, but I can remember always having to go to school in the early/mid eighties.  It wouldn't shut if it snowed, we just put on our moon boots, snoods, and ear muffs and braved the weather.  The senior schools here shut at the drop of a hat, mainly as the pupils are travelling in alone and their safety could be compromised, my son's junior school usually remains open though. 

Being a lanky person there'd be some debate as to who be the toughest.. Yorkshire or Lancashire lol

Ha ha!

No doubt in my mind whatsoever Nic!!

Gotta be you right??!! :)

Anyone who can live in a house through the Winter, and hardly ever put the heating on, has got to be a toughie!!

Makes me shiver just thinking about it !!

Although I suppose you do have a bit more meat on your bones than me lol

( yes that dress I bought size 6 fits perfectly!!!

Just keep up the fitness swimming thing you've just started and you'll be fine!!)

Oopsy

Have I gone off topic???... Sorry Hun!!! :)

Lots of love

Karen xx

Edited by basketcase687

I had to walk 2 miles every day to school & iirc it only ever closed once & not because of snow (in the 80s)

Kids these days are molly-coddled, driven to school, picked up, can't go out in rain/snow, close the school etc. 

I remember going to junior school in the snow & sitting with my coat on (oil fired heating but the pipes had frozen)

I think alot of the schools close because the the teachers live so far away they are unable to get in, rather than it being the parents who are not sending their children.......because if mine could have gone today they would have been there!!

Years ago teachers used to work in schools which were in the same villiage, this no longer seems to be the case :(

Ha ha!

No doubt in my mind whatsoever Nic!!

Gotta be you right??!! :)

Anyone who can live in a house through the Winter, and hardly ever put the heating on, has got to be a toughie!!

Makes me shiver just thinking about it !!

Although I suppose you do have a bit more meat on your bones than me lol

( yes that dress I bought size 6 fits perfectly!!!

Just keep up the fitness swimming thing you've just started and you'll be fine!!)

Oopsy

Have I gone off topic???... Sorry Hun!!! :)

Lots of love

Karen xx

I wouldn't get my left boob in that frock :|

I had to walk 2 miles every day to school & iirc it only ever closed once & not because of snow (in the 80s)

Kids these days are molly-coddled, driven to school, picked up, can't go out in rain/snow, close the school etc. 

In primary school we moved area but my mother still wanted us to go to the same school, so we went from walking to school, to hitching a lift in with the headmaster in his car lol. He had to come through our village to get to the school. The down side was we had to hang about for ages after end of school before we could go home.

I remember going to junior school in the snow & sitting with my coat on (oil fired heating but the pipes had frozen)

when i was at school it never closed because of snow.

my kids school is a 2 mile walk away and there's didnt shut when we had snow all the other schools did but not theres xx

My children's school was 2 miles away from our house. I didn't drive then so had no option but to walk in all weathers. I had a huge coach built silver cross pram with one child in, one on the top an one holding the handle lol it wasn't to bad until I was doing the school run twice a day plus nursery in the middle.. That was 12 miles a day and add to that I was also pregnant with the fourth at some point lol