Poo Eating Puppy

Keeonah

My daughter is having problems with one of her pups. The little devil keeps going out in the garden and eating poo. This is not just his own he will eat any that's around and then comes in the house and regurgitates it all over the kitchen floor. He is also peeing and pooing in the house and will not go outside. The other pup is no problem and goes as and when he should but this one, strangely enough his name is Keiko, will not learn. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to cure him. Any help appreciated. I'm frankly stumped now as we have tried everything that I had stored away and she is just about at her wits end.

Gary.

there is a condition that pups can develop which results in them eating their own poo, its a long time since I looked it up, but if I remember right it has something to do with them not getting enough goodness out of their food, so they eat their poo to try and get the goodness that way!? But poo is posionous so this habit needs to be stopped, I think she is going to have to be really vigiliant in picking up after her dogs for the time being to break the habit.

Hopefully someone else will be able to add some practical advice soon x

I had this issue with Yukon. There are a few things I tried that may work. First, the obvious is to pick up the poo before he has a chance to eat it. This is kinda what I had to do. Also if you sprinkle meat tenderizer on their food it makes it less appetizing to them. You can also get pills or something else to sprinkle on their food from the vet. Unfortunately I can't say what exactly worked for Yukon because I tried everything at once lol. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add some pineapple to the food. They like the taste of pineapple, but it makes their poo unsavory. Won't help for other's poo unfortunately.

Hmmmmm.............Pineapple. Never heard of that one but thanks guys I will tell her to give it a try and let you all know how it goes ;). Debs, I did have a suspicion about the condition which you've confirmed and I have tried to look it up myself and I couldn't find it but I have now. I think it's called Coprophagia for which you can get tablets. I'll get her to try the pineapple first and see how that goes.

Gary.