Dogs Monthly Rubbish

Keanu

The last issue (April) of Dogs Monthly is full of rubbish (and I only just started reading). Picture of a muzzled husky, with a convincing warning, that "dangerous breeds need muzzle whilst out", then information that dogs "destructive behaviour" means barking, and also bunch of rubbish about BARF diet.

I swear I will never spend money on this magazine again.

The last issue (April) of Dogs Monthly is full of rubbish (and I only just started reading). Picture of a muzzled husky, with a convincing warning, that "dangerous breeds need muzzle whilst out", then information that dogs "destructive behaviour" means barking, and also bunch of rubbish about BARF diet.

Write them a stern letter, explain you are a Husky owner, point out all the errors in the article. and suggest if they are going to

publish info about a breed at least talk to the people who know the breed first i.e. the owners.

I view such positively, the more people think they are dangerous the less people will get them and the less unhappy huskies in pounds. There're not viewed here as dangerous instead as the materialised beauty... And hence every other day I see ads where people are selling their dogs because they don't have time or "personal reasons".

Write them a stern letter, explain you are a Husky owner, point out all the errors in the article. and suggest if they are going to

publish info about a breed at least talk to the people who know the breed first i.e. the owners.

Andy I certainly would if I had a bit of time, I am currently end of term time, hardly find time to sleep, dug up in essays etc just had a look at this issue and they don't even write particularly about huskies but about dogs' behavioural problems and illustrate the text with Husky in a muzzle lol

I took a look online but they don't have that particular picture / article on their on-line sample.  If that's how they view a breed, then I wouldn't put a lot of faith in what they have to say. 

Looked in their forum and the only reference to Huskies are the pictures of Bing, Blaze and Skyla ..... not much of a Husky crowd there, it seems.

Ooh we should all write and complain!

I agree with Nix. If we inundated the magazine they'd probably have to rewrite the article with pictures of the muzzled owners of sibes lol

But seriously I think a combined effort by forum members wouldn't be a bad idea.

I am not home now, but later tonight `I may try to take a pic of it and post. As I said, they do not mention sibes in the text itself, they write about behavioural issues in dogs (the text itself is not very good anyway) and they illustrate it by the pic of a husky in a muzzle with wording "dangerous breeds should wear muzzle whilst out in public places" or something like that. Personally I think this is rather their ignorance and lack of professional research than particular dislike of sibes.

ok having realised i did actually buy this magazine unusually at crufts I read it.

theres just a picture of a husky possibly mally wearing a muzzle. thats it. no indication that its implying huskies/mallies are dangerous.

I agree the barf article seems to be a little out of whack, claiming dogs died while eating cooked ham bones from pet shops well DOH barf is not cooked bones so im unsure what that has to do with it.

ok having realised i did actually buy this magazine unusually at crufts I read it.

theres just a picture of a husky possibly mally wearing a muzzle. thats it. no indication that its implying huskies/mallies are dangerous.

I agree the barf article seems to be a little out of whack, claiming dogs died while eating cooked ham bones from pet shops well DOH barf is not cooked bones so im unsure what that has to do with it.

The pic of husky/mal in muzzle is not out of context, but within the article of "dangerous" dogs and their behavioural issues.

I did not write anything otherwise.

I do not panic, they just made me angry. 

The pic of husky/mal in muzzle is not out of context, but within the article of "dangerous" dogs and their behavioural issues.

I did not write anything otherwise.

I do not panic, they just made me angry. 

to be fair whatever breed they used they probably would have had complaints.

I guess they just happened to pick a husky

post-2224-0-20990300-1364053490_thumb.jp

post-2224-0-36490200-1364053500_thumb.jp

I think that dangerous dogs need muzzling whilst out, but there's no such thing as dangerous breeds!

Edit: Just seen the picture posted above. It says that 'dogs with aggressive tendencies should wear a muzzle in public'. That's a sensible suggestion... do you have a problem with that OP?  You suggested that it said dangerous breeds should be muzzled. :S 

I think that dangerous dogs need muzzling whilst out, but there's no such thing as dangerous breeds!

Edit: Just seen the picture posted above. It says that 'dogs with aggressive tendencies should wear a muzzle in public'. That's a sensible suggestion... do you have a problem with that OP?  You suggested that it said dangerous breeds should be muzzled. :S

No, No problem at all, forget:)

I said clearly I did not have a magazine with me, and that "or something like that".

Please read carefully!

XX

I'm just confused what you were angry at. :P

I suppose this is one of these cases, where one thing may suggest various interpretations. Husky owners, drawn by the picture, will read the wording and understand what it says. Some other people, not particularly interested in this article, will just see the pic of husky in a muzzle, together with the awareness of the title, and this is what will remain in their memory.

Nevertheless, this should not be my problem, should it....:/

Magdalena, I quite agree with you last comment.  I read as much of the article as I could and didn't find anything offensive in it - in what I read she didn't identify any breed by name.  It really appears to be a recapitulation of a survey that she <??> had done.

That they chose to use a Husky as their "poster dog" bothers me, but then as was said it really doesn't matter what breed they used, someone would have been offended.

However, I have to disagree with the suggestion in the question you raise:

Nevertheless, this should not be my problem, should it....:/

I think it's every responsible dog owners problem. How others see our dogs - regardless of breed - is our problem.  We've already seen where people who own "northern dogs" are having difficulty finding a place to live because of restrictions.  Insurance rates increase because of the perception of our breed ( and others ).  While my dogs are gentle and loving and wouldn't hurt a flea (when they're asleep :) ) the fact that they're perceived as a "big dog" (not really), "viscous" (definitely not) and loud (okay, two out of three ...) does affect how other people relate to them and me.  Our "problem" (challenge, really) is to help others see that, in general, this is a misperception ... not the norm.