Walking When Snowing?

Sarah

What do you do about walking your dogs when its snowing?

My three pull like crazy so when its snowy and slippy like today I darent take them out but feel bad because they love the snow

They have had a run around the patio and have opened the gate to the garden so extra treat there for them as normally they are separated from the so called grass lol

Do you manage to get out with your pack when its bad weather? What do you do that might help me?x

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are things you can buy for your shoes that will help you to walk the dogs when its icy/snowing out. I was looking at getting a pair, but I never got around to it...and seeing as winter is almost over it wouldn't make sense to get a pair now. 

The brand I was looking at was called YakTrax - they make a bunch of different models. I was looking at the women's pro. It has gotten a lot of great reviews from 'professional' hikers and such. And while it has a few limitations (you can't really walk in deep snow with them), IMO they are better than attaching cleats because you can walk on pavement and indoors with them on.

Here's their website, they have a video too: http://www.yaktrax.ca/en/order.htm

(I'm sure there are many other companies that offer those kind of attachments, but personally I was looking for a Canadian company. Gotta support your country's economy, ya know? :) )

But also, to help stop Suka's pulling, I put him on a very short leash. I use Indi-dog's police lead, and I walk him using the 'traffic handle'...it really helps with pulling and control. 

I do walk mine was quite hard actually with Skye pulling so hard the other day as it was so slippy!

I also do what Nix does and hold them closer but on grass patches they can run about more as I find I have more grip on those parts so I usually wonder over to the big park in the snow :) but on paths they are closer or if not I do walk alot slower. Got a dogmatic for Skye now which for some reason she instantly calms as soon as its put on :o yet to walk her on it though but hoping it calms her down.

They havnt been walked today though as I was working (and rob won't have taken them out) they seem happy enough and are loving running round the garden :) don't feel bad!

This is where all those conversations about walking belts vs loose lead training become real.

On a normal walk with my guys it doesn't matter what the weather is.. 

I walk all three, leads held in one had and They walk nicely without pulling.

If your pooches atr only used to pulling with you holding them in check with your weight on the walking belt then yes in snowy / icy weather

you will have difficulties.

This is where all those conversations about walking belts vs loose lead training become real.

On a normal walk with my guys it doesn't matter what the weather is.. 

I walk all three, leads held in one had and They walk nicely without pulling.

If your pooches atr only used to pulling with you holding them in check with your weight on the walking belt then yes in snowy / icy weather

you will have difficulties.

Uh huh - that's why I'm going to be selling my walking belt. It doesn't work for me - I'm not heavy enough to be an 'anchor'. Last year I had a really nasty fall (almost hit my head on a curb...) cause I was wearing the belt - if I was just holding Suka by the leash I wouldn't have been dragged a few feet (apparently, he REALLY wanted to pee on that pole!).

So Suka is mostly trained for loose-leash walking now - he has his moments sometimes - but 99% of the time he walks nicely. :)

Elyse you sound alot like me. I am tiny weigh hardly anything so huskies can literally drag me where ever they want to I find holding the lead actualy is easier to control them than on the belt. I do however like the belt incase I drop the lead for any reason.

Elyse you sound alot like me. I am tiny weigh hardly anything so huskies can literally drag me where ever they want to I find holding the lead actualy is easier to control them than on the belt. I do however like the belt incase I drop the lead for any reason.

The few times I've had to let go of the lead (ex: picking up some hard-to-pick-up poo) I usually find a fence pole or something to tie it too. If I drop it accidentally, usually I have enough time to step on it to stop him from going anywhere. 

The few times I've had to let go of the lead (ex: picking up some hard-to-pick-up poo) I usually find a fence pole or something to tie it too. If I drop it accidentally, usually I have enough time to step on it to stop him from going anywhere. 

I'm fortunate to have Echo my GSD.

For poo pick ups, I drop the leads and stand on them

I tell Echo to sit and she will stay there, she acts as an anchor for the other two

if they decide to get sniffy and try to wander while I'm performing doo doo duties,

Hmmm. Strap a cushion to your bum? Won't stop you falling but will soften the blow! :)

I tried walking individually and on a short leash beside me but I still fell over a few times and looked like a numpty! In law has these spiky grip things that help her walk on snow and ice. She likes them, I've never tried them as it's unlikely to stop me falling over, I'm just no good at standing upright, zero sense of balance and coordination. Lol.

I've taken Kodiak out 4 times today already!!! He loves the snow and our garden is still quite boggy so thats a no go area for him at the mo. He does walk really well when it's just the 2 of us and isn't too bad when there are other dogs around. It's very slippy though here now so I will be extra careful on our last walkies of the night later on :D

Just walk as normal, all mine walk loose lead on collars, like others I keep the leads short and use the traffic handles, i take the girls in one hand and Grey in the other (because he stops to pee)

I have walking boots which help, trainers would be a nightmare!

I also use my walking belt, but I only ever use it as backup unless somewhere like a rally where you'd expect them to pull. It was a godsend when I did fall over as it ment I could let go of the leads, roll over and lay on the floor for 5 minutes to recover! Also means I can drop leads to pick up poop. Im only 8 stone but can still 'anchor' all 3 dogs easily

Im very strict when it comes to their walking though, they MUST walk nicely, give them an inch and they'll take a mile so they know to behave ;)

I bought myself a pair of snow boots they are great for grip in the snow.

I do only have Mia to walk though, not sure if I would be able to handle 3 dogs at the same time!

If Belle comes on our walk she never pulls, but it makes it hard when Belle is off lead and Mia is on, she has had me over a few times when she jolts her flexi. Ive been trying to teach her to slow down before she reaches the end, this finally seems to be paying off!