Walking When Snowing?

Sarah

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use headcollars in the snow on the belt as find it easier then I hold the leads but can drop the leads when cleaning up after them its easier with gus, zena, nanuk and hollie then with jasper, ice and kobie as they pull so normally take just 2 of them together

Just walk as normal, all mine walk loose lead on collars, like others I keep the leads short and use the traffic handles, i take the girls in one hand and Grey in the other (because he stops to pee)

I have walking boots which help, trainers would be a nightmare!

I also use my walking belt, but I only ever use it as backup unless somewhere like a rally where you'd expect them to pull. It was a godsend when I did fall over as it ment I could let go of the leads, roll over and lay on the floor for 5 minutes to recover! Also means I can drop leads to pick up poop. Im only 8 stone but can still 'anchor' all 3 dogs easily

Im very strict when it comes to their walking though, they MUST walk nicely, give them an inch and they'll take a mile so they know to behave ;)

How much to your furkids weigh? Because my boy is 76 pounds, and he easily pulls my Dad over (210+ pounds) even when Dad's bracing himself. But Suka is also different in that respect - he doesn't pull constantly all the time. He'll walk loose leash, and then when he sees something he MUST get at (ie: a pole he wants to pee on), he'll just dig in with all paws and haul me (or anybody else holding the leash) over there. He does it when you're not expecting it, so you're less prepared and more likely to take a header.. :P

And yes, I can relate to the 'give an inch and they'll take a mile.' expression....if I give in even just a little bit (ie: let him pee on a spot he usually isn't allow to pee on), he'll want to pee on every single vertical thing for the rest of the walk, he'll be pulling again, etc. 

I have a pair of North Face Chillkats which are great in the snow and if it's really bad I have those grippers with the spikes on that go on the bottom of your shoe. They give you a good anchor. Although I won't walk them all together in the snow. I don't know about anyone else but my very well trained dogs go a little nuts when they see the white stuff!

Oh c'mon people, you have huskies, walking them in the snow is the best experience ever! I love it, and love how extra happy she is when it's snowing. Only bad thing is that it's hard to run with snow falling in your eyes, and I always forget to take my ski goggles, that would save the day, who cares if we'd look funny.

How much to your furkids weigh? Because my boy is 76 pounds, and he easily pulls my Dad over (210+ pounds) even when Dad's bracing himself. But Suka is also different in that respect - he doesn't pull constantly all the time. He'll walk loose leash, and then when he sees something he MUST get at (ie: a pole he wants to pee on), he'll just dig in with all paws and haul me (or anybody else holding the leash) over there. He does it when you're not expecting it, so you're less prepared and more likely to take a header.. :P

And yes, I can relate to the 'give an inch and they'll take a mile.' expression....if I give in even just a little bit (ie: let him pee on a spot he usually isn't allow to pee on), he'll want to pee on every single vertical thing for the rest of the walk, he'll be pulling again, etc. 

not sure in lbs but together (and i walk them together) they weigh about 70kg, im usually about 8st 7lbs, currently about 9st 10 with baby weight

not sure in lbs but together (and i walk them together) they weigh about 70kg, im usually about 8st 7lbs, currently about 9st 10 with baby weight

That's around 154 pounds total. Maybe I'm just weak then, haha, or maybe its because Suka doesn't pull constantly...so he surprises me and almost always catches me off balance - I think he times it. :rolleyes:

That's around 154 pounds total. Maybe I'm just weak then, haha, or maybe its because Suka doesn't pull constantly...so he surprises me and almost always catches me off balance - I think he times it. :rolleyes:

That's like my 2 they don't pull on walks so when they do its sudden n I don't have much of a choice but to go with them lol

If that happens (it has happened once, when they saw a running cat, and they haven't done it again since), i throw my weight in the opposite direction and if necessary drop into a sit on the pavement!  :rofl:

They're pretty good though, they've never ever pulled me over, the time they saw a cat they almost did but I can guarentee that had i been holding all 3 leads without the belt on I would have gone onto my face, because I wouldnt have been able to pull back against them the way I did! 

We took ours to a nature reserve that was previously a quarry the other day. We were going down hill. There was deep snow and muddy puddles along the track. They were all very excited to be in the deep snow and we had to go single file on the track. I was ahead with Togo an Safi, OH was following with Loki an Peppa ( the two major pullers) next thing I hear is a whoosh!! Followed by a splash! Turned round an the OH was on his side in a puddle. I managed not to laugh but couldn't resist mentioning it was a good thing he'd changed into his walking trousers before we left.. Although he'd not bothered with his walking boots. So he had wet backside, side, leg back arm and thoroughly wet feet lol

My point being, he's 18st an 6'5, Loki an Peppa weigh a combined 53kgs.. It's not just about weight, its a combination of weight, strength environment the element of surprise and how well your dog listens to you lol

Mine could be better overall but are generally better with me. Lol

We took ours to a nature reserve that was previously a quarry the other day. We were going down hill. There was deep snow and muddy puddles along the track. They were all very excited to be in the deep snow and we had to go single file on the track. I was ahead with Togo an Safi, OH was following with Loki an Peppa ( the two major pullers) next thing I hear is a whoosh!! Followed by a splash! Turned round an the OH was on his side in a puddle. I managed not to laugh but couldn't resist mentioning it was a good thing he'd changed into his walking trousers before we left.. Although he'd not bothered with his walking boots. So he had wet backside, side, leg back arm and thoroughly wet feet lol

My point being, he's 18st an 6'5, Loki an Peppa weigh a combined 53kgs.. It's not just about weight, its a combination of weight, strength environment the element of surprise and how well your dog listens to you lol

Mine could be better overall but are generally better with me. Lol

:lmao:

Storm has had hubby over coz im heavier lol. Of course i laughed :)