Lesson For Everyone

Marc

So guys. This week I have learnt a lesson, and a hard lesson to swallow.

OK first to give you guys an idea of where I work. I work for a small software house. When I say small I mean very small, there are only a few developers there. As you would expect unlike a lot of places we all know everything about each other, including the company owner. I go round to my bosses house and occasionally sort his internet and we will go out on the beer at times just for the laugh.

Now you have an idea of the kinda workplace I am at I can get on with what I have to tell you. This was my week.

Monday - Monday morning we had an email from one of the companies we have developed software for. Something had gone wrong and they needed support for their software. Now the guy who usually deals with this is a 38 year old friendly fella who doesnt generally work out of the office, but instead works from his office at home. So as always I send him the usual "Its broke m8, you need to have a look at it" text as I couldnt get through to his phone. Anyways, I got no response so investigated and found the problem myself. No problem, we all do everything, just some who are more used to some companies than others software. 

Later on I got a text from him. "Sorry m8, I thought I had text you but must have dreamt it. Im in bed with flu". And the day goes on.

Tuesday - Tuesday morning my boss had a phonecall from this guys wife. "Sorry he is really struggling with it and wont be in for the rest of the week". A bit of an odd thing for this guy to do (getting his missus to call), but hey, we've had stranger things happen in our place. So I had a look through and picked up on some of the things he had been doing throughout the last week that needed to be done.

Wednesday - Really needed some info on some stuff so my boss had text him at home. Yeah he's ill but we just need a bit of info and he can get back to sleepin it off. No problem. However we got no reply. Will try him again later. 

Later that day there was a phonecall, again from his missus. She asked to speak to my boss however he was in a meeting with the owner of the company. I did tell her this but she insisted she either needed to speak to him or the company owner, so I went through to the office, appologised, and said she was on the phone. He said he would take the call and so I put her through and carried on with my work.

10 mins later I was called through to the bosses office. I was asked to bring with me everyone else. Very strange, Im guessin we are getting a bollocking. So we went through and this was the sentence we heard.

"I'm really sorry I have to tell you guys this and Im not sure how to say it. You know Martin has had flu this week. Unfortunatly he died in his sleep last night"

Martin was 38. He had flu. I have worked with martin for the past 6 years each and every day. This is someone I also spoke to outside the workplace. It got to me a fair bit, however that's not why I post this up. Martin for all his expertise, for how good a guy he was, for all the silly things he would say when he called, his waffling (sometimes too much lol) on the phone, he was unfortunatly not the fittest guy on earth. He was a fair bit overweight, and I cant say I can every remember him going to the docs for anything.

So the lessons? If you are overweight, do something about it. Get the flu jab every year. And do not underestimate flu, especially if you are unhealthy.

I would never have said anything to Martin about his weight because I knew it embarrased him how much he had put on and didnt wanna upset him. Now I kinda wish I was an arsehole.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about Martin.

Everyone talks about the flu as if it's 'a bit of a bad cold'

No the flu literally floors you. you don't even have the energy to

get out of bed to go to the toilet.

I've only had it once.

I hope never again.

Again, sorry for your loss. :(

ah shit Marc .... that's about all I can think of off the cuff and I know I get pretty off the cuff at times.  It's really hard when someone you know passes on, it's even rougher when it's someone you're reasonably close too - like work mates. But it's the pits - the absolute pits! - when it's someone as young as he was.

Sorry to hear this and all I can really say is "I'm sorry ..." take care of yourself, y'hear!

Everyone talks about the flu as if it's 'a bit of a bad cold'

No the flu literally floors you. you don't even have the energy to

get out of bed to go to the toilet.

Completely agree. I had it about 12 month ago and was not well in the slightest. As unwell as I was however I never once thought of it as being something that bad.

I am so glad that I get my flu show every year!!!! I never really think about it, but now that I heard this story I will take it more seriously (since I am usually forced to get it since I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since I was 2) and make sure that not only I keep getting vaccinated but that my OH does as well.

I am so glad that I get my flu show every year!!!! I never really think about it, but now that I heard this story I will take it more seriously (since I am usually forced to get it since I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since I was 2) and make sure that not only I keep getting vaccinated but that my OH does as well.

See I should as Im asthmatic, but I gotta admit I dont get it every year as I "cant be arsed". I havent had it for this last winter when I should have had. I certainly will be doing from now on.

See I should as Im asthmatic, but I gotta admit I dont get it every year as I "cant be arsed". I havent had it for this last winter when I should have had. I certainly will be doing from now on.

That is my problem, I have had the flu shot every year since I was 2 and I always hate being sort of forced to do it by doctors because I think it is pointless and doesn't actually help but after reading this I will be extremely grateful for getting them

That is my problem, I have had the flu shot every year since I was 2 and I always hate being sort of forced to do it by doctors because I think it is pointless and doesn't actually help but after reading this I will be extremely grateful for getting them

Scary thing is, I was to him at around this time last week as he had a problem with his graphics card and wanted my opinion. He was fine. Another collegue of mine spoke to him on the sunday and he was fine. This thing killed him in 2 days.

Scary thing is, I was to him at around this time last week as he had a problem with his graphics card and wanted my opinion. He was fine. Another collegue of mine spoke to him on the sunday and he was fine. This thing killed him in 2 days.

The flu is an extremely scary virus. There are so many things out in this world that we can get, and yet we never know how serious they are until it starts to take loved ones from us. The extra scary part is viruses and bacteria are beginning to build up immunity to our medicine.

Completely agree. I had it about 12 month ago and was not well in the slightest. As unwell as I was however I never once thought of it as being something that bad.

If he was as you said overweight then it could have overloaded his heart. 

I work for BMW and all employees can get free flu shots every year.

If he was as you said overweight then it could have overloaded his heart. 

More than likely. They are waiting for post mortem at the moment, but thats certainly what it sounds like it was.

More than likely. They are waiting for post mortem at the moment, but thats certainly what it sounds like it was.

I was only 22 when I had it and I was flat on my back for a week.

I could feel my heart thudding in my chest, 

I didn't have the energy to eat.

I will also say even if you are not overweight it's good to stay healthy I am really thin due to metabolism but I should still keep my heart healthy and the doctors were very pleased to hear how much walking I do :)

Sorry to hear about your colleague Marc

Oh my god - I'm really sorry to hear this. :cry1:

I agree with Andy...it probably overloaded his heart, especially because he was overweight he might have had other problems too (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) that made it worse...

I've had the flu a few times, and each time it knocked me on my ass (and I get my shot every year)...it certainly isn't anything to joke about. People die from the flu every year...the flu deaths are more common than you'd think.

Life is short...I'm trying to get active because my family has a history of heart problems. I saw a commercial from Health Canada that scared the crap out of me, I don't want to post it because its rather disturbing, but it shows you what the last 10 years of your life will look like if you don't exercise and you live a sedentary life.

Its sad to hear I know and being healthy is the way to go but am a big believer that when its your time there's noting you can do in life that will change it I feel :(

Look at the footballer that died last year 25 years old and the Bolton player that would of died had he not had a doctor right there :(

Sorry for the loss of you colleague Marc.