Lesson For Everyone

Marc

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear about your colleague, 38 is so young.  :(

Not exactly the same thing here but when my youngest was a baby my OH used to get a lift home from a colleague who lived locally.  I can remember watching them pull up outside on christmas eve and waving to them from the window and them smiling back up at me (probably thought I was a loon, lol).  Fast forward to the new year,  and I actually do have the flu or something similar.  I literally couldn't stand up, my legs just buckled and went so my dad popped over to look after the baby while I lay in bed.  All day I'm hearing about the latest developments of the Tsunami that had happened whilst my hubby was back at work.  Now the OH worked at a boiler manufacturer that somehow was affiliated with Charlie Dimmock's mother. They'd all met her as she  had dropped by occasionally and So as you can imagine, the office was a vey somber affair.  Sometime that day the phone rang and it was the wife of my OH's colleague calling to say that over the festive period her husband had suffered a massive heart attack and died.  He was a lot older, in his mid 60s but there was no warning, only a couple weeks before they were talking about his retirement plans and now, gone.  A couple days after that the schools went back so I took my eldest son back to learn that an entire family who had left the school a few months before to live in Thailand were missing and presumed dead (tsunami again).  3 children all primary school age and their parents wiped out.   

That was a pretty rubbish time to be honest, but my OH was fantastic.  Anytime his colleague's wife had any heating problems, he would pop in with the children for a cup of tea and a chat.  And at some point fix the boiler too, lol.  He continued to do that until she too passed away, a few years later. 

So yeah, I too learnt my own lessons: life is short and you can never take anything for granted because you just don't know what's coming.  However, you can't live your life in fear either.  You have to enjoy what you have and live life to the fullest you can.  Be greatful for what you do have instead of always moaning for more.