Heartworm Meds

Chula

I gave Chula her heartworm pill, and as per usual it makes her sick. So I did some reading.

Anyone choose to give heartworm meds seasonally as opposed to every month? I've read that the larvae can only survive when the temp is consistently over 57 degrees Fahrenheit. I'd rather not pump her full of insecticides when its not actually doing anything, but was wondering if anyone had thoughts either way.

It takes about seven months, once a dog is bitten by an infected mosquito, for the larvae to mature into adult heartworms. They then lodge in the heart, lungs, and surrounding blood vessels and begin reproducing. Adult worms can grow up to 12 inches in length, can live 5-7 years, and a dog can have as many as 250 worms in its system.

It's not a good idea ..... but there are several different types of heartworm medicine, you might want to check with your vet and see if they have samples (mine do) so you can see how she reacts to them.

Even living where I do - where mosquitoes are rare, mine stay on heartworm meds year round.

The websites that suggest seasonal treatment argue that if you test twice a year and give the pills during the months when temperatures are sufficient that you'd kill the larvae before they become adults.

So, for instance if you gave a pill in May and one in September you'd kill off all the larva before they could mature.

I'm on the fence. I know the benefits of modern medicine but I also know that the pharmaceutical companies make a killing off of stuff like this and its in their interest to scare people into constant medication. I guess as a puppy I should keep up with the poison as her immune system isn't fully developed. But I hate putting all those chemicals in her.

I wouldn't take the risk - if your dog develops heartworm...even the larvae can result in irreversible damage to the heart. Suka's heartworm meds are only $40 for 8 months (so $5 a month). It's not going to break the bank, and IMO, its worth it. 

If it weren't for the 'chemicals' we keep on pumping into our dogs, they wouldn't live as long. I'm sorry for the slight sarcasm, but dogs have been living longer now than in the past...

I guess I see it sort of the way some people see kibble. They don't want processed food in their dog so they feed raw. I know there are benefits but there are risks too. The meds are hard on dogs organs. I just like to be informed as to what the range of impact may be either way.

And it definitely wouldn't be about the money. Maybe I'll take Als advice and try and see if there is one that doesn't make her so sick.

What brand is she on now? Mine is taking HeartGard (or HartGuard...one of the two spellings), and he hasn't had any problems with it. When I first took him to my vet, she assured me none of her patients have had any side effects from it.

It's heartgard. It screws with her stomach. Last time she pooped all over herself in her crate. This time I wisely decided to give it to her on a weekend when I could be with her. She did have diarrhea all over my friends yard yesterday which was kinda embarrassing.

We give our dogs Trifexis. I think that's what it's called. It also kills and prevents fleas and intestinal parasites. I like it. And it hasn't upset any of the dogs yet. Our other dog has tummy troubles too. He is allergic and sick by so many things. You can try that maybe.

Mine use Iverheart but its in a pill form so if her tummy is super sensitive that might not work. What does your vet say? I'd think they could give her something to ease the stomach when she has to take them Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have used Iverhart with success. But our vet no longer carries it. We tried Trifexis and in about 1 to 2 hours up comes their dinner. It also smells like insecticide. So we currently give Heartland Plus. No issues. Have you tried giving it with food?

Hi guys, can you tell me all the types of meds and vaccines I should be giving my dog yearly or at any other intervals? Maybe I have neglected his meds and now at 9 years of age he's starting to get some type of disorientation on longer walks? I cant believe what's happening to him, this isn't normal.