Last Chance Weight Pull 2013

HuskyMom09

Dakota and Denali went to their second weight pull this weekend, Dakota placed 2nd both days and Denali 3rd.  I could not be more pleased with the boys, Dakota earned two more legs toward his Working Dog title and should place silver in the Region, Denali though he didn't get close enough to get any legs of his WD title could still place bronze in the Region :)  Dakota pulled 640lbs on day 1 and 780lbs on day 2.  Denali pulled 200lbs day 1 and 400lbs day 2.

559086_10151499469571590_87404423_n.jpg484891_10151499470006590_4126217_n.jpg485901_10151499470101590_948815980_n.jpg483322_10151499470571590_935005337_n.jpg581455_10151499470756590_1185444846_n.jp531557_10151499471086590_1053515545_n.jp485925_10151499471611590_424145070_n.jpg527621_10151499471891590_1547997956_n.jp578271_10151499471996590_1605406479_n.jp184927_10151499472311590_1760893486_n.jp527778_10151499470286590_658758982_n.jpg581569_10151499472276590_768421281_n.jpg7364_10151499474081590_101433965_n.jpg527705_10151499474296590_389282296_n.jpg

Great job Dakota and Denali! Way to make mom proud! :D  Out of curiosity what do your pups weigh? Not sure if that factors into how much weight they pull in an event like this.  

Both of the boys weighed in at 48lbs.  They do factor that in when calculating percentage pulled, which is important when figuring if they qualify for their Working Dog Titles.  With any luck Dakota will get his the beginning of next pull season starting in Aug or Sept of this year.

Great job with the boys! So great that they're doing so well!

Just curious is this typically an AKC event, and do the dogs have to be intact? I'm also curious to as how one achieves the Working Dog Title, not sure if thats specific to confirmation or not? And also, do you typically only have your males do these events or will the girls participate when they're older? I'm researching ahead of time a few AKC events that Yuki can do when shes older, so far I've got agility but would love to do some pulling type events.

Great job with the boys! So great that they're doing so well!

Just curious is this typically an AKC event, and do the dogs have to be intact? I'm also curious to as how one achieves the Working Dog Title, not sure if thats specific to confirmation or not? And also, do you typically only have your males do these events or will the girls participate when they're older? I'm researching ahead of time a few AKC events that Yuki can do when shes older, so far I've got agility but would love to do some pulling type events.

This is an IWPA (International Weight Pull Association) event, the title is an IWPA title and is recognized by the AKC, so eventually if we are able to achieve this last leg Dakota will have a WD after his reg'd name.  :) They do not have to be intact, as Dakota is neutered, and it has no baring on Conformation.  Females are allowed to participate but cannot participate while in season or post season without being bathed.  Nothing to distract the competition is allowed.  To get their WD title they have to pull at least 12x their weight at 4 separate pulls (wheels) or 5x their weight at 4 separate pulls (snow).  Excellent and Outstanding titles of course the weight is more in % to the dog's weight at 3 pulls each, I believe Excellent is 18x's and Outstanding is 23x's (wheels) or 10x's and 15x's (snow)

This is an IWPA (International Weight Pull Association) event, the title is an IWPA title and is recognized by the AKC, so eventually if we are able to achieve this last leg Dakota will have a WD after his reg'd name.  :) They do not have to be intact, as Dakota is neutered, and it has no baring on Conformation.  Females are allowed to participate but cannot participate while in season or post season without being bathed.  Nothing to distract the competition is allowed.  To get their WD title they have to pull at least 12x their weight at 4 separate pulls (wheels) or 5x their weight at 4 separate pulls (snow).  Excellent and Outstanding titles of course the weight is more in % to the dog's weight at 3 pulls each, I believe Excellent is 18x's and Outstanding is 23x's (wheels) or 10x's and 15x's (snow)

Cool! Yuki is AKC registered but shes spayed, so this really seems like something that would be awesome for her to participate in. Thankies ^-^

Only thing I'm concerned about - even when you participate in events like these with (obviously) adult and healthy dogs...I wonder if there is a long lasting effect on their joints? I know mine would be pretty f-ed up if I had to pull all that weight, but again, I'm not a husky... 

Only thing I'm concerned about - even when you participate in events like these with (obviously) adult and healthy dogs...I wonder if there is a long lasting effect on their joints? I know mine would be pretty f-ed up if I had to pull all that weight, but again, I'm not a husky... 

Recently had this exact conversation with someone else, and the reality is if work has a negative effect on a working breed dog there is something wrong with the dog.  The dogs know when to stop and no one can force them to do anything they aren't able to do.   Anyone that thinks that the dogs are forced has never worked a dog and experienced the 'fuzzy finger' when they are done.

Cool! Yuki is AKC registered but shes spayed, so this really seems like something that would be awesome for her to participate in. Thankies ^-^

It can be such a cool experience, for both us and the dogs.  I wish I would have known about and had been participating in this sport when Dakota was younger!  He's 9 this year and just starting, he's such a natural it's been amazing!  Glad he's getting to get into it now, better late than never I suppose.

Recently had this exact conversation with someone else, and the reality is if work has a negative effect on a working breed dog there is something wrong with the dog.  The dogs know when to stop and no one can force them to do anything they aren't able to do.   Anyone that thinks that the dogs are forced has never worked a dog and experienced the 'fuzzy finger' when they are done.

Huh - that makes sense. Oh, and just to clear things up I don't think they're forced to pull...its obvious they love it! :)

Oh man, this makes me want to work Suka. Too bad his joints suck. :(

Huh - that makes sense. Oh, and just to clear things up I don't think they're forced to pull...its obvious they love it! :)

Oh man, this makes me want to work Suka. Too bad his joints suck. :(

No, I didn't think you were saying they were forced to pull, just wanted to clear it up in case :)  Though it may not be the best for Suka's joints there are so many other things Suka could do, depending on how bad his joints are that is.

No, I didn't think you were saying they were forced to pull, just wanted to clear it up in case :)  Though it may not be the best for Suka's joints there are so many other things Suka could do, depending on how bad his joints are that is.

Okay, good. :)

Unfortunately I don't think he can do anything now; he was diagnosed with arthritis at 4 years old. He's now almost 8 years old. I know its getting worse because the flareups are more frequent and more severe. The only thing that seems to help are joint supplements, but those just better his quality of life...and even then if he's exercised anymore than 1 hour - 1:30 a day, he's really sore and he needs pain meds. :/

I really wanted to work him, but alas...I guess fate handed me a bad card in that respect. (He was adopted, so nobody knew of his prior medical history...and he was probably from a BYB..)