Running Sapphire Whilst Riding A Bike

griff-uk

Hey everyone and i hope things are going well for you all. I have been thinking about ways to ensure Sapphire gets enough exercise and thought about me getting a mountain bike so she could run along side me. Can people help me with any products which make the job easier and safer etc. Also any pointers/tips ect would be great.

Thanks in advance

Mark 

If I ran mine depending on what dog if it was skyla I'd have her next to me as she's not much of a runner so we could go at an easy pace n I'd know I wouldn't ride into the back ov her but blaze would have to be up front or he would probably just pull me over lol

I would probably prefer sapphire beside me what gear would you recomend i buy??

I use the Springer attachment to run my dogs along side my bike-  Best investment ever-  Not something I would suggest for dogs under 1 year old, preferably for dogs over 15mos to ensure the growth plates have time to close and joints are more stable.

www.springeramerica.com

I use the Springer attachment to run my dogs along side my bike-  Best investment ever-  Not something I would suggest for dogs under 1 year old, preferably for dogs over 15mos to ensure the growth plates have time to close and joints are more stable.

www.springeramerica.com

That looks like a good product but Sapphire is only 7 months old and so id maybe need something different can anyone help. Also im in the UK so any UK stockist i.e ebay would be great :-)

To clarify, no pup no matter what product should do much running before 12-15mos solo training.  It is too harmful on the growth plates/joints.  Especially at 7 months old, nowhere near fully developed.

Ok now im glad you have told me this. I wouldnt be taking her out for long runs i would just use it for about 10-20 mins as im not sure she is getting enough excersise but i could be wrong in which case????

a walkydog is a uk supplier u MIGHT be able to find one on ebay , or a trixie springer attachment 

agree with huskymom tho she shouldnt run till atleast a year old minimum 

how much exercise is she getting? is it just lead walks? maybe invest in a long lead (you can get 50ft / 100ft leads on ebay) for her and take her to a local feild or somewhere to have a run around n tire herself out without putting much pressure on her

Your pup shouldn't be doing strenuous exercise before the age of 1 year old.

The joints, bones and ligaments are still growing.

Strenuous exercise puts stress on the joints, bones etc.

You won't notice and the pup is happy to let loose. . . . 

However. . . . 

In later years the dog is likely to suffer from hip displacia and joint problems many years before they would normally be expected to.

All because the owner couldn't wait 3 or 4 months to start running with the dog when a puppy. :(

Also what need to realise is that the dog will be pulling you, not just running beside you.

That will put even more stress on the developing pup.

Please just wait.

right now a 20 minute walk 3 or 4 times per day plus whatever running around your house and garden

will provide sufficient exercise. 

I have a walky dog for my guys

http://www.walky.co.uk/walky-dog-range.html

They love a good run.

Darwin has had me upto 25mph on it. :eek:

You'll find I'm as cheap as they come;  I've bought a 100 ft clothesline rope that I use for mine.  You can buy clips so you can attach the dog at most any hardware store (or whatever you call them on that side of the pond :) ) then just tie an overhand knot in the other end to give you something to hang onto.  Lots cheaper than buying a leash - I go though about one a year, wind, weather and chewing dogs.