Morning!

Jamie2013

Hello, I'm Jamie aged 20 from Essex.

Live with my girlfriend and our 6 month daughter.

Have a few questions regarding Siberian Huskies as its been a dream for most my life to own one.

1) We live in a 2 bedroom flat quite a good size but with no garden, How does this sound?

My girlfriend is a stay at home mum while i work full time Mon-Fri so the dog would have great company everday, We are lucky to have lots of parks and forrests walking distance so we can give the dog lots of exercise everyday.

Like i said i have a young daughter so would this type of dog be ok?

Ive read a few places that these dogs dont eat as much as people think, Is this true?

Thanks very much :)

Hello, I'm Jamie aged 20 from Essex.

Live with my girlfriend and our 6 month daughter.

Have a few questions regarding Siberian Huskies as its been a dream for most my life to own one.

1) We live in a 2 bedroom flat quite a good size but with no garden, How does this sound?

My girlfriend is a stay at home mum while i work full time Mon-Fri so the dog would have great company everday, We are lucky to have lots of parks and forrests walking distance so we can give the dog lots of exercise everyday.

Like i said i have a young daughter so would this type of dog be ok?

Ive read a few places that these dogs dont eat as much as people think, Is this true?

Thanks very much :)

Hi and welcome to our forum.

ok. question 1) some people do live in flats/apartments with huskies without any problems. The only issue would be that the dog will need to be taken outside on a lead everytime it needs the toilet.  If its a puppy youre talking about every 30 mins or less. If its an adult maybe every 2 hours or so or when it asks to. It will need longer walks and more often I guess also since it will have no garden to run about in. Its not ideal but its doable. Is it doable with a 6 month old baby? I dont know that depends on your girlfriends commitment to it I guess.  I mean you say its been your dream. Does she share the same dream? Does she know anything about huskies?

That you cant let them off the lead?

That they pull?

That they can be disobedient and not always listen?

The other concern Id have is that as the baby learns to walk and crawl the dog wont like it crawling all over it.

It is perfectly possible to have babies/children with huskies I have two kids.

My youngest was 3 when I got my first.

2- no they dont need as much as people think. They are made to run and run on very little steam lol.

My advice would be research research research. You have done the right thing in coming here. Get stuck in, go to husky meets, meet people with them, talk to them ask questions.

You and your girlfriend need to BOTH be 10000% comitted to it because if you arent, 6 months down the line it could be a rehoming ad entitled "my girlfriend cant cope with the dog while im at work". Yes I have seen hundreds of articles like this.

Please dont think im being harsh lol, Im not, loads of people know me on here and I generally speak my mind, sometimes not wording things quite the way I should :D

Thanks so much for replying and all the advice and tips, So does sound positive we could get one.. We wont be looking to get until after June anyway as we have a holiday booked.

I think we might try find one just over 1 years old, So its already been house trained and its maybe grown up in a family with kids, That is my only worry daughter and a dog last thing i obviously want is an aggresive dogs towards my daughter!

Thanks so much for replying and all the advice and tips, So does sound positive we could get one.. We wont be looking to get until after June anyway as we have a holiday booked.

I think we might try find one just over 1 years old, So its already been house trained and its maybe grown up in a family with kids, That is my only worry daughter and a dog last thing i obviously want is an aggresive dogs towards my daughter!

when youre ready I can point you in the direction of some rescues.

most rescues will homecheck. You will find some will not pass you if you live in a flat. Some may pass you.

If you are comitted then yes you can. Your girlfriend needs to be sure she can walk a husky as well as push a pushchair, especially with the pulling.

Huskies are great with kids, but should never be left alone for even a second with kids the same as any breed of dog. x

I was just about to suggest perhaps rehoming an older one :) As i think your girlfriend will struggle with a pup and a baby :o i wouldn't want both at the same time!

On another note huskies are generally great with kids and have so much patience but you will need to train the dog AND the child :) I would suggest crating at meal times etc and when you eat to avoid any issues there. (that is just my opinion though others probably have different ones)

The flat isn't an issue just as louise said you will need to take the dog out on lead to go to the toilet etc, the other thing i assume your GF will be walking the dog with a pushchair also so i would advise you make sure you put the time in to train to walk nicely as they can pull very hard and even invest in a head collar to prevent any sudden pull moments going wrong :)

I finish work at 3:30pm now days so i get home 4pm, I will be doing the main walking everyday but she reckons she will be ok with dog and buggy for short walks before i then get home for the longer runs etc

We would never think about leaving baby with dog on there own ever!

That is the only problem with rehoming, Most are gonna turn us down because we live in a rented flat :(

Here's a pic of My girly Daughtry with my 4 month old granddaughter.

Both of my Huskies are sooooo gentle with her.

My GSD though is like a bull in a china shop.

post-1354-0-37441000-1364036797_thumb.jp

While I agree that rehoming an older dog is an excellent idea, you need to be aware that "they'll already been house trained" may not be the case.  Any disruption in a dogs "norm" may cause it to seem to lose all the training they've had.  Not saying that will be the case, it just happens all too often and then people are disappointed.  They'll relearn quickly what it is you want and how you do things but at first ( the first couple of weeks? ) it might be rough.

Your comment about "having grown up with kids" is true, you'll have some idea of the dogs disposition - but comment one applies. :)

I lived in a trailer - oh, what do you brits call those, ah, a caravan - without a problem, but they will demand a lot more of your attention than if they have a garden (back yard) to run in.

Is it doable? Of course it is if that's what you both want,  but your GF has to realize that she'll be the primary caregiver ( I know, you said you'd take the dog for walks when you got home but ... ) since she'll be spending a lot more time with it than you will be.  Since we often describe Husky's as people in fur, is she really ready to have two children underfoot all the time?

Thanks for checking in, and you've made the first best step to becoming a responsible Husky owner by doing your homework before you bring one home!

and .... Welcome to the best forum you'll ever find!!!

I know that I personally would not be able to take care of a baby in addition to my puppy. One would suffer, and it would obviously be the dog. Now if she were older, that might not be the case - but you'd have to be absolutely certain that your GF is willing to put in the time. I know that moms of young babies are already stretched to the max, and it actually might get harder as the baby gets older and is mobile because then the baby will require more monitoring too. Obviously people do it, but I know my own limitations and I wouldn't. I've heard/read that huskies don't really start to calm down until they are over 2 years old, so you may want to look for one who is even a bit older than one.

Let me also add that I wasn't supposed to be the primary caregiver, but as I am the one who spends more time with her, I have no choice but to be the disciplinarian, the trainer, the feeder, etc. I assume it's easier with an older dog, but each dog will have its challenges. Good luck what ever you decide!

I would recommend adopting one too - it would be easier on everybody involved. A lot of older dogs (ie: older than 4-6 years old) need homes, so if you were to get one in that age range it would be perfect. Be aware they'll be more set in their ways by that age (ie: it would be much harder (if not impossible, in the case of my boy) to crate train them if they aren't already), but they won't have any of the problems of a puppy and they're easier to deal with on a daily basis...especially with a baby around!

I got mine when he was 4 years old, never had any problems with him, and he's pretty calm and laidback (though that's probably just his personality).

By the way, welcome to the forums! :)

welcome to the pack :D

I think you'll struggle rehoming through a dedicated husky rescue, the couple that had Koda that i rehomed 18 months ago lived in a flat and they couldn't cope with having to take him out without fail, no matter what the weather / time of day / night it just became too much for them :(

As other's have said they are great with kids - but there are always exceptions to the rule, especially as your baby grows and wants to grab and touch things

Before you do anything check with your landlord to see if you can have a dog :) x

We rehomed Darwin from a couple who lived in a flat in london.

however he was alone most of the day with no toilet breaks.

They did the very best they could.

But Huskies are dogs that need to be walked approx 6 miles per day.

Not necessarily all at once but several walks per day.

They pull like crazy at first until you can get them loose lead trained

(and that can take months)

Things to consider.

will your partner be able to do multiple walks

with a baby in stroller and a dog that pulls everywhich way.

Howling, some huskies are quiet all the time, others like to talk a lot loudly

others howl (especially if they are left alone)

Will your neighbours complain. ??

We live in a flat. We have a small yard and 3 huskies. 2 of ours will go on the yard but our eldest will only pee / poop on the grass so we have to take her to the nearest patch of grass. Most of the time it's no problem as she's nearly 2 and a half so we don't have to do night time toilet trips, except if she's poorly then it would be a pyjama run to the grass so she can go lol. Living in a flat it is doable, we do it but its difficult. If the dogs need out they need out there and then because its a military operation to get them out ie: coats, boots, harness, leads walking belts. You need to ask if this would be possible for you or your GF with a baby, I don't have one of them but I'm given to understand that they need a lot more than dogs do on terms of getting them ready to go out etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk