Phobia?

CARRINGTON

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Thanatophobia, or the fear of dying/death in general. I know the fear of death is normal, but mine is overwhelming and it ruins my day/week/month...

And I'm pretty sure this isn't as severe as a phobia, but I'm scared to hurt myself. Like I won't take risks that may result in me hurting myself - this can be as simple as running when its raining or walking the dog when its snowing/icy out. 

There are a lot of 'weird' phobias out there...some of them rather ironic, such as Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia = Fear of long words. (I can actually pronounce that, sadly...school taught me how to pronounce weird/latin words.) Though it makes me feel mean to say some phobias are 'weird' - having a phobia SUCKS and its very real to the person who has it. 

http://phobialist.com/

Spiders.  I can handle almost anything else, but I can't even look at a spider without freaking out!

Oh yeah I forgot about those. They scare the bananas out of me!!!!

Probably because when I was younger I was bit by a poisonous one and by the time I got to the hospital it was serious enough I had to have an IV in my head

I have Thanatophobia, or the fear of dying/death in general. I know the fear of death is normal, but mine is overwhelming and it ruins my day/week/month...

And I'm pretty sure this isn't as severe as a phobia, but I'm scared to hurt myself. Like I won't take risks that may result in me hurting myself - this can be as simple as running when its raining or walking the dog when its snowing/icy out. 

There are a lot of 'weird' phobias out there...some of them rather ironic, such as Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia = Fear of long words. (I can actually pronounce that, sadly...school taught me how to pronounce weird/latin words.) Though it makes me feel mean to say some phobias are 'mean' - having a phobia SUCKS and its very real to the person who has it. 

http://phobialist.com/

Phobias are not fun, if something ends in a 6 or is a 6 etc I cannot function. It bothers me greatly. I have talked to doctors who said people fear 13 or 666 but never just 6, so I was given anxiety stuff for days of the week in 6 etc.

I have a lot of irrational fears. My friends think I'm crazy.

- Birds. Terrified of birds. All kinds, but especially the swooping herds of starlings that fly all over the place and dive bomb trees in groups of 1000.

- Sidewalk vents. I will cross a street before walking on a vent.

- My car wheels falling off while driving.

- Trees falling on my house during a storm. Or my walls crashing in when it's windy.

- Falling down the stairs, breaking all my bones, and no one finding me until I have died.

- Bees. This comes from my childhood when my grandmother would spread jelly on the window screens so that the bees would swarm. She was my babysitter. Nice.

I'm scared of spiders... I can handle the microscopic ones, but when they are any bigger than that, they're out to kill me.

I am also scared of tanks, like propane tanks, the gas tanks my hubby uses for welding, peoples oxygen tanks, air compressors, fuel tanks, etc. I don't even cook on a propane grill.... scary tanks!!

And swamps... those are scary too.

I'm scared of spiders... I can handle the microscopic ones, but when they are any bigger than that, they're out to kill me.

I am also scared of tanks, like propane tanks, the gas tanks my hubby uses for welding, peoples oxygen tanks, air compressors, fuel tanks, etc. I don't even cook on a propane grill.... scary tanks!!

And swamps... those are scary too.

I have heard people being scared of tanks but never swamps. Is it because of crocodiles

I have a lot of irrational fears. My friends think I'm crazy.

- Birds. Terrified of birds. All kinds, but especially the swooping herds of starlings that fly all over the place and dive bomb trees in groups of 1000.

- Sidewalk vents. I will cross a street before walking on a vent.

- My car wheels falling off while driving.

- Trees falling on my house during a storm. Or my walls crashing in when it's windy.

- Falling down the stairs, breaking all my bones, and no one finding me until I have died.

- Bees. This comes from my childhood when my grandmother would spread jelly on the window screens so that the bees would swarm. She was my babysitter. Nice.

I don't think you are insane but now you have chula so she can

Scare all the birds away

My phobia is the number 6. I HATE the number 6!!! Or any number that begins in 6 or end in 6. It is the worst number ever!!!! What are other people's phobias

6 is my favourite number......send them all my way :D

But my phobia is clowns!!!!! How scary are clowns?? my kids are not allowed them, on one occassion we stayed over in a caravan that had lots of clown ornaments i had to put them inside a cupboard so I could sleep, but then I laid awake all night thinking they would be mad at me for putting them in the cupbaord!! Scary stuff!!

6 is my favourite number......send them all my way :D

But my phobia is clowns!!!!! How scary are clowns?? my kids are not allowed them, on one occassion we stayed over in a caravan that had lots of clown ornaments i had to put them inside a cupboard so I could sleep, but then I laid awake all night thinking they would be mad at me for putting them in the cupbaord!! Scary stuff!!

You can have all my 6's. I once punched a clown at a circus when I was little. I was allowed to go by myself to get cotton candy at the circus I was about 8 or 9 and a clown came up in my face asking if I wanted a balloon I was so scared I punched him in the face and ran screaming and crying.

You can have all my 6's. I once punched a clown at a circus when I was little. I was allowed to go by myself to get cotton candy at the circus I was about 8 or 9 and a clown came up in my face asking if I wanted a balloon I was so scared I punched him in the face and ran screaming and crying.

Your like a real life hero punching a clown.....heres the deal, I will take your 6's and you can have my clowns :D :D :D

Your like a real life hero punching a clown.....heres the deal, I will take your 6's and you can have my clowns :D :D :D

Deal. Maybe I can teach Balto to hate clowns but that doesn't seem likely since he thinks everyone likes him and wants to pet him and just be in his presence

SPIDERS!! I use to not be afraid of them at all. But after being bitten by a Brown Recluse I am terrified and make my hubby kill them and if he isn't there I use big ridiculous things to make sure they are dead. Lol.

I don't like crowds. I get uncomfortable in them.

When my husband and I wrestle and he gets on top of me in like a mount or anything like that that would have me pinned I freak out on the point of tears sometimes. I don't know why but it scares the hell out of me.

There are more stupid ones. Lol. I can be a mess sometimes.

I have a few things in life that I really don't like, like spiders, heights but I can understand them, a phobia is a "persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it."

My phobia, and I am terrified of them, is balloons ... I don't understand why, they can't hurt me, but I have such a phobia of them

Nope, Nothing. Sorry :(

I'm with you Andy.  The UNreasonable fear associated with a phobia just isn't in me.

I used to ride roller coasters ( spent the better part of a day riding the coaster at POP when I was a teenager! ) but haven't been to a par in years. I'm not impressed with crowds ... I just don't like "people" all that much but it's not a fear as such, I'd generally rather be at home with my dogs than out in a crowd!

When I was working at an electricity plant, I had a bad habit of sitting on the security rails on the top level - something like 750 feet up - till the boss jumped my tail real good!  Hey, the view was great!!!!

I have a few things in life that I really don't like, like spiders, heights but I can understand them, a phobia is a "persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it."

My phobia, and I am terrified of them, is balloons ... I don't understand why, they can't hurt me, but I have such a phobia of them

Thank you for that - so many people I know don't really understand what a phobia is...they just list things they don't like or are scared of. :rolleyes:

I'm with you Andy.  The UNreasonable fear associated with a phobia just isn't in me.

I used to ride roller coasters ( spent the better part of a day riding the coaster at POP when I was a teenager! ) but haven't been to a par in years. I'm not impressed with crowds ... I just don't like "people" all that much but it's not a fear as such, I'd generally rather be at home with my dogs than out in a crowd!

When I was working at an electricity plant, I had a bad habit of sitting on the security rails on the top level - something like 750 feet up - till the boss jumped my tail real good!  Hey, the view was great!!!!

Eep - I could never do that, I'd be scared of falling to my death!