Phobia?

CARRINGTON

Thank you for that - so many people I know don't really understand what a phobia is...they just list things they don't like or are scared of. :rolleyes:

That is true people do confuse the two, but I have an honest phobia of the number 6. I do all I can to avoid it. When counting I will skip 6, when counting down to the number of days I have till something I will ignore if I have 36 or 26 days left and say I have 25 hours and 59 minutes or something like that. I will not watch a tv show if on channel 6 or of it ends in 6. If I purchase something and I has more then one 6 in it I will buy a pack of gum just so it doesn't end there. If today was April 6 I would not write the date on anything.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true people do confuse the two, but I have an honest phobia of the number 6. I do all I can to avoid it. When counting I will skip 6, when counting down to the number of days I have till something I will ignore if I have 36 or 26 days left and say I have 25 hours and 59 minutes or something like that. I will not watch a tv show if on channel 6 or of it ends in 6. If I purchase something and I has more then one 6 in it I will buy a pack of gum just so it doesn't end there. If today was April 6 I would not write the date on anything.

Haha - I know. That wasn't directed at anybody in this thread; should have clarified. 

But yeah, that one sounds horrible to live with... :(

Radio stations cannot have a 6 in it. On here if I am on # 26 post I immediately have to post again or I go nuts. Volume on anything cannot be 6 or end in 6. If I have 6 cents I will just leave a penny somewhere. If something ends in 6 and

No one changes it I fidget and slowly freak out

Radio stations cannot have a 6 in it. On here if I am on # 26 post I immediately have to post again or I go nuts. Volume on anything cannot be 6 or end in 6. If I have 6 cents I will just leave a penny somewhere. If something ends in 6 and

and things like that I just don't understand.  I recognize that that's how you feel and I'm okay with that - I just don't understand it.

Most of the things that have come up:

Spiders - where'd I put the RAID!  No big deal.

Height - as long as I feel like I've got something secure around me, I'm fine.

Snakes - and remember I have rattle snakes here - if they don't go away, I will, but no big deal.

and before someone says something - no, I don't find your fear funny, it's not amusing because I recognize that it's a real fear to you (( er, generic not specific "you" )).

I have never heard of this IT and I like Stephen king but never heard of this. What is it about?

It is a 1986 horror novel by American author Stephen King. The story follows the exploits of seven children as they are terrorized by an eponymous being, which exploits the fears and phobias of its victims in order to disguise itself while hunting its prey. "It" primarily appears in the form of a clown in order to attract its preferred prey of young children. The novel is told through narratives alternating between two time periods, and is largely told in the third-person omniscient mode. It deals with themes which would eventually become King staples: the power of memory, childhood trauma, and the ugliness lurking behind a façade of traditional small-town values. The novel won the British Fantasy Award in 1987, and received nominations for the Locus and World Fantasy Awards that same year

and things like that I just don't understand.  I recognize that that's how you feel and I'm okay with that - I just don't understand it.

Most of the things that have come up:

Spiders - where'd I put the RAID!  No big deal.

Height - as long as I feel like I've got something secure around me, I'm fine.

Snakes - and remember I have rattle snakes here - if they don't go away, I will, but no big deal.

and before someone says something - no, I don't find your fear funny, it's not amusing because I recognize that it's a real fear to you (( er, generic not specific "you" )).

Honestly Al I wish I could understand it myself. I have no idea why I hate 6 to the point that I do.

It is a 1986 horror novel by American author Stephen King. The story follows the exploits of seven children as they are terrorized by an eponymous being, which exploits the fears and phobias of its victims in order to disguise itself while hunting its prey. "It" primarily appears in the form of a clown in order to attract its preferred prey of young children. The novel is told through narratives alternating between two time periods, and is largely told in the third-person omniscient mode. It deals with themes which would eventually become King staples: the power of memory, childhood trauma, and the ugliness lurking behind a façade of traditional small-town values. The novel won the British Fantasy Award in 1987, and received nominations for the Locus and World Fantasy Awards that same year

EEK!!!! I do not think I want to watch nor read that

I don't read (or watch, for the ones adapted into movies) anything from Stephen King for that reason: They would give me nightmares for the rest of my life. 

none lol i used to be a lil scared of heights so i jumped out of a plain and not scared any more lol

Thats impressive!!

Have you been to Go Ape??

I don't like heights, but loved that, I think being strapped to a wire, even if it was in the tree tops helped, it was an awesome day out!!

But I don't think I would be brave enough to jump out of a plane!!

it is scary stuff, especially when you watch them as a child......Nightmare on Elmstreet also has a lot to answer for, I still don't like turning taps on!!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was scarred for life when I watched a movie as a child. I don't know the name of it, but all I remember is this scene:

A guy is in the bathroom, and he scratches an itch. There is blood on his fingernails. He scratches some more, harder, and chunks of his face fall off and into the sink. He continues to do this until you can see his cheek bones and some other bones. It was very bloody and it looked really real, atleast it did when I was a kid. 

Never saw it since. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was scarred for life when I watched a movie as a child. I don't know the name of it, but all I remember is this scene:

A guy is in the bathroom, and he scratches an itch. There is blood on his fingernails. He scratches some more, harder, and chunks of his face fall off and into the sink. He continues to do this until you can see his cheek bones and some other bones. It was very bloody and it looked really real, atleast it did when I was a kid. 

Never saw it since. 

That sounds like FLY

Sure you just don't have an OCD? lol :)

I have a true phobia/irrational fear of RACCOONS. I go into absolute hysterics if I see one. And I can't really hide from them, they have HANDS. They can stack up on eachother, pick my lock, and get me. I can seriously have panic attacks over them.

Oh, and there was this freaking Wendy's commercial a few years back where the raccoons drove up the drive thru...

Omg, I have nightmares! Thank you Wendy's, now I know they can even DRIVE!

Ugh, getting goosebumps, and my heart is racing just talking about it!!

I have a true phobia/irrational fear of RACCOONS. I go into absolute hysterics if I see one. And I can't really hide from them, they have HANDS. They can stack up on eachother, pick my lock, and get me. I can seriously have panic attacks over them.

Sorry but that has made me chuckle....and reminded me of my 2 cats!!

A while ago one of my cats Mouse was at the window of the back door, the window is half way up the door and she would jump up and cling to the frame with her paws.......well I had a friend over who saw Mouse peering through the window at us. I told my friend that Mouse was stood on the back of our other cat, Kitty, and that Kitty let Mouse stand on her back so she could see through the door!!!! I couldn't stop laughing when she believed me!! Now I can see the Racoon's doing the same......sorry but that is funny!!

Well I literally have anxiety over the items that I posted. It isn't just things I think are icky or kind of scary. They can send me into a panic, bees especially. I refuse to eat outside during bee weather. I always carry my cell phone in my bra in case I fall down stairs or into a sidewalk vent and lose whatever is in my hands and can't get out. I choose where I am going to live by how many tall trees are within falling distance of my bedroom window.

I have serious anxiety issues though in general.

I'm with you Andy.  The UNreasonable fear associated with a phobia just isn't in me.

I used to ride roller coasters ( spent the better part of a day riding the coaster at POP when I was a teenager! ) but haven't been to a par in years. I'm not impressed with crowds ... I just don't like "people" all that much but it's not a fear as such, I'd generally rather be at home with my dogs than out in a crowd!

When I was working at an electricity plant, I had a bad habit of sitting on the security rails on the top level - something like 750 feet up - till the boss jumped my tail real good!  Hey, the view was great!!!!

I've stood on top of this one before. 275 meters / 900 feet high. In fact, see that dead tree on the left? That's all that I held on too. Scary when you see somebody else doing it, great when you're standing on top of it  :lol:

In fact, that's not even the highest I've stood on. Got some.. uhm.. crazy photos of my leaning over a edge but not sure if I should share that in this topic  :whistling:

I have an insane fear of clowns. Last year (I was 28) we were at a child's birthday party for one of the children in my son's class. I was talking to some of the other parents and I felt a tap on my back. I turned and there was a clown. Now turns out, the clown just wanted to know who the parents of the birthday boy were. I thought the clown had evil intentions and I screamed bloody murder and ran out of the room. I sat outside the party room in a corner crying.

I also have an irrational fear of Ferris Wheels. I don't like heights as it is, but I always worry that the ferris wheel is going to come loose and roll away will all the passengers in it.

Sure you just don't have an OCD? lol :)

I have OCD, anxiety, and this phobia. I never thought of it as a phobia until I had to explain it to a doctor and they said it wasn't OCD but a phobia as if someone hated the number 13, only they have only seen the number 13 as a phobia so I got a second and third opinion and got the same answer

I have OCD, anxiety, and this phobia. I never thought of it as a phobia until I had to explain it to a doctor and they said it wasn't OCD but a phobia as if someone hated the number 13, only they have only seen the number 13 as a phobia so I got a second and third opinion and got the same answer

I know someone who hates the number 44. She cringes when she sees it, and had the fear she was going to die because she went out of town and her flight was Flight #44

Spiders with a diameter of about 2-3 cm. Small or larger than that I am completely fine, but that sized spiders freak me out, also maybeetles, because they´re the same size.

Also I´m afraid of heights in that I am scared when I do not have solid ground under me. I do and have lived in appartment buildings in 7-9th floor and high up a hill at the same time but when I don´t have the ground... same with aircables that take you high up a mountain or swimming in deep water.

Lastly, injections. :D