Sofia

Hi! My name is Sofia and I am the proud owner of Hudson, my two and a half month old husky :) I've never owned a dog before and any tips would be greatly appreciated! :) he's almost completely potty trained - any accidents are my fault for not paying attention and he understands sit, but I can't seem to get him to understand that I'm not a chew toy :P hoping that comes with time :)

Posting a pic of Hudson - don't mind the old wall paper and yellow curtains - just bought this place :)

Hi! My name is Sofia and I am the proud owner of Hudson, my two and a half month old husky :) I've never owned a dog before and any tips would be greatly appreciated! :) he's almost completely potty trained - any accidents are my fault for not paying attention and he understands sit, but I can't seem to get him to understand that I'm not a chew toy :P hoping that comes with time :)

Posting a pic of Hudson - don't mind the old wall paper and yellow curtains - just bought this place :)

Hi and welcome to the pack! :)

(Yes - another Canadian! A 'bit' far from me though - haha!)

Welcome to the pack!

Haha mines about the same age as your Hudson. Hm. tips on owning a Husky...

Don't ever let them off leash, even if you think they are so good and will stay by your side. They won't.

Buy a rake and slicker brush. Lol. There is going to be a lot of fur about twice a year.

They love love love to dig holes. My little Juneau is already helping in the garden and back yard.

Lol. They really are such a fun breed of dog !!

There are a lot of people here who can give awesome advice.

Welcome to the best Husky forum in the WORLD !! :)

If hudson is nipping and mouthing you just pull your hand away with a loud "Ouch"

He'll soon learn that it's not good to pinch.

If he mouths your hand gently without nipping praise him :up:

Anything else, ask away.

We have people like yourself first time owner,

to people who have had generations of huskies.

No shortage of experience. :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :) Hudson has been sleeping in a crate at night, and likes it :), for potty training (and kitty training - I have 2 cats) but he's never been left alone for more than a half an hour but tomorrow I'm going to be out for about 6 hours - is that too long? Should I try to have someone come and let him out a couple of times to pee, etc...?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :) Hudson has been sleeping in a crate at night, and likes it :), for potty training (and kitty training - I have 2 cats) but he's never been left alone for more than a half an hour but tomorrow I'm going to be out for about 6 hours - is that too long? Should I try to have someone come and let him out a couple of times to pee, etc...?

You're welcome. :)

Yes - that's too young. Puppies of that age can only hold their bladder/poo for 30 minutes MAX, and 6 hours that long from 20 minutes is likely to cause other problems...like separation anxiety. You're supposed to build up the amount of 'away time' slowly...

Ok thanks for the advice! I'll get my friend to come by a bunch and I'll come home during my breaks - I work close to home, normally I work evenings and weekends and my bf works weekdays so thankfully this won't be a common problem :D

You'll find that you've got one of the best breeds of dog around (( naw, THE BEST! )) but you'll also find, in time, that what you really have there is a person disguised as a dog!  There are times you'd swear they can think (( they can! and they do!! )) and there will be times that you'll wonder if he doesn't own you (( he does!! ))

I don't know what Elyse is going on about, you're both over on the east side of Canada, it can't be that far away!! (( laughing!! ))

and, yah, if you don't want a case of separation anxiety, work up on the amount of time he spends alone.  As he grows older, if you work it right there will be times where he can spend 6 - 8 hours on his own without causing a problem, if you don't work on it, everyone in the neighborhood will know he's not happy!

Welcome to the club ... we've got a great group of people here ...