What Do You Use When Walking Your Husky / Huskies?

Val (Zebedee)

I have read various comments about walking on a lead, on a walking belt, which is best etc etc and wondered what you find best for you & your furries?

I use a walking belt and usually walk 2 on it, Grumpy walks the other/s but on retractable leads as he feels he has more control that way. I've had physio on a pulled shoulder through using hand-held leads so much prefer the walking belt, even with my bad back and dodgy knees!! lol

I have also had a "spinning splitter" made for when walking 2 on a belt; I don't know if it has a "proper" name as I got in touch with a company who make dog walking stuff, described what I wanted & they made it! I was tired of the 2 leads getting tangled during walks and trying to spin the dogs in the opposite direction to untangle just never happened, so I love my "spinning splitter"!!

I had to ask for the D-ring at the top so I could attach it to the carabiner on the belt then 2 hooks on the splitter to hook the leads in to - Voila! No more twisted leads! lol

post-143-0-86281800-1364298451_thumb.jpg

I have used lots of different things. When walking them on my own i will now be using two dogmatics (though shadow does walk really well its more for when he see's other dogs/prey etc) and the walking belt but that is purely incase i drop the leads i normally hold onto them unless not near a road its quite nice to be hands free.

My main reasoning for the dogmatics is because i only weigh just under 7 stone and it is dangerous if i do not have full control of them both.

When i walk them with Rob we have one each depending on where we go they will wear a WYDWL harness and usually the retractable leads so they have more freedome as i can control one dog no problems like this i just cant two lol.

It totally depends on what kind of walk we're going on. 

If it's street walking then I use Dogmatic head collars and police lead. 

If it's a field walk I'll use a short long line or flexi attached to walking belt and harness.

If it's a long countryside/wood walk then I'll use police lead attached to walking belt and harness.

I've been considering getting a coupler but the one with the spinning bit sounds good. Though it's a really little piece of metal to have two strong dogs attached to so I'd be a little worried. I guess it doesn't come in brass either? 

:)

Seeing as I've only got one dog I guess its simpler then for those of you with multiple doggies
But I use harness and short lead in the street, or head collar and short lead when theres loads of people, in the country side she'll have her long leash (10 metres) and harness on :)
On the bike, short lead and harness :)

Ours walk nicely on leads and collars.

I hold all 3 leads i one hand connected together with climbing carabiners.

see pics :)

post-1354-0-26065700-1364306776_thumb.jp

post-1354-0-25920200-1364306790_thumb.jp

post-1354-0-56606800-1364306806_thumb.jp

and this is me in 2010 when we were in the process of loose lead training but using Halti's 

for extra control in the snow.

You can see how they are connected.

post-1354-0-75768900-1364307319_thumb.jp

I use one of Indi-Dog's police leads. I walk him with the traffic handle, because that's the best (and really only) way I can control him. I've tried using a walking belt, and it didn't work out so well (I'm not heavy enough to be an anchor).

His pulling isn't constant anyways - he only pulls when he wants to get at something, other than that he walks loose leash, but when/where/how hard he pulls is pretty unpredictible. So, with the walking belt I would fall (have done that a few times...), but with the leash I find it much easier to control him. I can let go of it (the leash) when I feel my balance is really off. And I know I can always step on it afterwards - usually he pulls to get at a tree/pole/blade of grass he wants to mark, so he's stationary for a few seconds. :rolleyes:

Depends on weather and who I take and how many lol. I use a walking belt if I walk 3 of more sometimes 2 I use police leads on my belt with haltis or canny collars. Sometimes I use double bungee leads with there harnesses if I'm in the field or there longlead or retractable leads. Kobie wears a wydwl harness as he can get out of the halti and canny collar. Gus and zena normally wear haltis if we are going to a meet.