Help With Selecting A Husky From Rescue Places

mirage

Hi all. We have been searching online for a husky to rescue and was just wondering how you guys pick out which dog to rescue. There seem to be tons of dogs available but in many different shelters (some an hour+ away). I have read that when meeting the dog for the first time try to pet and touch them to see of they are anxious or anything but do you guys have any suggestions? We are looking for a dog 2 to 7 years old. Thanks a bunch! Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we rescued our Cherokee it was a matter of interaction..When we saw her it was love at first sight but when we met her and got to interact with how sweet she was we fell in love even more..We visited her at least three times before we actually chose her and one time they let us out in the arena with her alone to see how she is when out with people...Id definitly check into going and meeting them..and great choice on deciding to rescue :)

First off I'd research into huskies as much as possible (If not already done) as a good rescue is going to make sure that they place their animals with the right people and knowledge will help you with that.  Then I'd have a look at the local rescues and find out as much information as possible about the dogs you're interested in andarrange to go to see them.  Sometimes not much is known about an animals past but the carers should know a bit about them from their stay and assessments done.  Talking to the staff about what you're realistically looking for in a pet might help them to match you to a dog that they think would be a good fit for both you and the dog.  Good luck with your search! xx

I remember you have young children in your home? Try using Petfinder and tick the "young children" box on your search criteria :) that should narrow the search down ;) I'm sorry I can't help much.. but I'm sure you will find many great suggestions once the other members come around :D 

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! We have done a ton of research already (online and through a couple books we purchased) but at that time had been undecided about whether to rescue or get a puppy and didn't look into the whole rescue process as much. We don't have any kids atm so that is not really an issue now but we are staying away from dogs that have known issues with children as our situation may change within our new pet's lifetime. Again, thanks, this site has been really helpful during our research phase and answers like this are much appreciated.

oops, I confused you with another member  :unsure: sorry!

well personally I prefer rescuing. An older dog is always easier IMO. They don't need to be taught bite inhabitation, they've passed their teething stage, they don't need to be taken out every hour... but maybe that's just because I'm pretty much an impatient person  :P besides, with a rescue, you can always foster first to see how do your family and the dog get along. With a puppy, it's all a gamble. Still, owning a pup obviously would be an unforgettable experience :) other than that, their social behavior and health is almost always guaranteed. With some rescues you're gonna have to deal with shyness, various phobias, etc. My rescued boy needs an entire year (or maybe more! I've lost count LOL) to beat his fear of strangers and loud noises. And those weren't his only phobias! :( however, IMO, that is exactly why rescuing a dog is priceless. There is no better feeling other than seeing a dog once so skittish turned into a social butterfly  :wub: oh wait, I'm not helping at all aren't I .__.

anyways, be it a puppy or an older dog, never decide in a heartbeat. Make sure to visit your dog of choice several times before adopting. If it's a puppy, "interview" the breeder to make sure they're knowledgeable and responsible. You should also look into this breed's official standards so that you'd know if the pup's parents (I'm very sure a good breeder wouldn't mind showing you the pup's parents) are worth breeding or not. If it's a rescue, ask as many questions as you can to the shelter staff. What's his background story? Does he have resource guarding behavior? Does he have separation anxiety? Has he ever lived in a house with children? Etc etc etc. Oh and it's recommended to walk the dog :) they say it's better than just sitting with him in a small room :) that'd also help you to determine how much of a puller he is  :P good luck! 

Thanks Mydiamond! Ya we can't get a puppy as we both work 9-5 and work around 20 min from our house. We are hoping to get a rescue that is there because of people's changing lifestyles (i.e. moving, new jobs etc). Preferably the dog will be crate trained already (I COMPLETELY agree with you about being impatient and not wanting to deal with teething puppies and all :) ). Like I said, we have seen a few that looked promising but they are all over so I guess we really need to just head over and see them as a next step. :) thanks again, that was very informative. 

• 4 weeks later...

Back! We filled out our app in the beginning of April and heard nothing so we finally called last night. My girlfriend was contacted by the rescue woman today and she is coming to check out our house this weekend! She has a pair of 8 year old dogs and a 5 year old dog up for adoption that she thinks may be perfect. Idk how I feel about getting two dogs (as I personally have never owned even one) but I guess once we meet the dogs we can see. I kinda like the idea of rescuing an older dog as they are probably a little more calm (this is our first husky). Gotta keep up my running as this seems like it will actually happen! 

Edit: She also wants to come and see our fence (it is only a 36" chain link). We told her this in our app but would something like that be okay if had the husky on a leash? Thanks!

Thanks for adopting a dog (and an older one at that!). :)

Most older dogs are calm and laidback (in comparison to how they would be like if they were younger).

I would recommend just adopting one dog for now...due to a few reasons. Be prepared to spring for any medical costs, and if you are getting insurance, be careful of pre-existing conditions...my boy's arthritis isn't covered because it was pre-existing to the insurance plan. :(

If, later on, you feel like you are ready (financially, you have the time, etc), then by all means...adopt a 2nd one! :)

Mine is kept on a 30ft tie out (rated for 150lbs), because my neighbours' fences are sketchy. Never had any problems...you just have to replace the tie out (not the stake) every 1-1.5 years...as its exposed to the elements (so it'll rust, etc).

I adopted an 'older' dog (it had said 6 years on the form, but we found out later he was 4 years old) because I wanted a calmer dog - he is my first dog, and I wanted a 'smooth' introduction to the dog world. 

Have you ever owned a dog before? And have you done research on the husky breed? Even though they may be older, they will still have a lot of the typical husky traits (stubbornness, desire to pull, etc)...although obviously they won't have the stamina as a younger dog. 

Hi, Thanks for response! Yeah we have done a lot of research over the last 6 months to make sure we wanted/were suitable for a husky. :D The pair I guess is 8 years old and the single dog is 5 years old. The lady just sent my girlfriend pics of the pair. I also was leaning towards one dog very strongly. I have never owned a dog but my girlfriend grew up owning a golden (very different I know :) ). Have to see, haha. So exciting though!

• 3 weeks later...

Well! Wanted to let everyone know that we got a dog last night from a local pound. He is one year old and already knows: sit, shake and lie down (knows these when he wants something....). He apparently bit the previous owner but it seems as if the previous owner was abusive and at least corrected harshly and violently with a chain collar (he has the grey fur around his neck and chest  that I have been told is a telltale sign of metal). He is fairly calm for a husky as after walks he just lies down at our feet and gets belly rubs. We are incredibly happy! Here he is, and me petting his belly. His name is Barley.

947337_10100972880012469_1201969262_n.jp

970834_10100972876170169_1611255090_n.jp

Congratulations on the new addition!  I am sure you will have lots of questions, as did all of us when we first got our huskies!  And beware, they are highly addicitive!  I went from no huskies to 3 in just over 1 year :o

Congrats on your new boy! He is a stunner. I would like to give you a word of advise though. BE PATIENT! One of the big reasons that people give up huskies is that they cannot handle the breed. As he is fairly new to your home it may be a moment before any bad habits shine through. As you are not the first owner, I am sure that you are aware of the baggage that a rescue can carry. (Please do not think I am deterrent of rescuing, both of my pets are rescues) I only tell you this as the first dog I ever rescued had a whole slough of bad habits and almost pulled me down a set of stairs when I was pregnant. I did not do research and had to give up the dog as I couldn't handle the bad habits.

Just always remember that you are the new role model, and the dog may still act on what he was taught in the past.

That being said, congrats again on your new family member. I am absolutely sure you are going to have a great time in your new addiction, and you will be well prepared for kids as these dogs are like having 5 toddlers wrapped up into a medium sized dog :P

Congratulations on the new addition!  I am sure you will have lots of questions, as did all of us when we first got our huskies!  And beware, they are highly addicitive!  I went from no huskies to 3 in just over 1 year :o

How did you get them to sit still for that pic in your signature? I struggle to get ONE to sit still lol

Hahaha yea. He flops over when i sit down. He LOVES belly rubs. You're not kidding aboit bad habits. Be is soooo laid back when we are here so we left him in a bedroom today for 3 hours during work and he destroyed the blinds. His hearing is also very selective but we are starting training on monday so hope to learn some strats on how to get him to listen/stop pulling. Thanks for the advice on patience!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I def. wish you the best of luck. I got really lucky with my husky, whom I took in when she was 3 1/2 years old. She is calm, laid back, doesn't run, doesn't dig, doesn't eat cats....doesn't do anything a husky does,........USUALLY. Imagine my surprise when I trusted her a bit too much and I chased her for two miles. Or when I came home to cat food all over the living room. She came from a great family and was well trained, but they will surprise you. I am sure you will be fine.

Hahaha yea. He flops over when i sit down. He LOVES belly rubs. You're not kidding aboit bad habits. Be is soooo laid back when we are here so we left him in a bedroom today for 3 hours during work and he destroyed the blinds. His hearing is also very selective but we are starting training on monday so hope to learn some strats on how to get him to listen/stop pulling. Thanks for the advice on patience!Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Stop pulling and listen???.......you did say you did your research? Good luck with that! Lol

My 2 both love their belly rubs, but hate being left alone, Teo is my rescue and he has SA :-( often destructive and SA go hand in hand, using a dog crate might prevent him destroying things and help him settle when left alone.

I hope it all goes well and he settles quickly

I would recommend crate training while you are away.  I know some don't like to do that, but I do just to make sure they stay out of trouble and don't eat anything that could be dangerous..and it saves me money LOL.  Some won't take to the crate well at first, but with work they will get to at least like their crate.  I had 2 of mine since puppies so I was able to start early and now when it is time for me to leave they will get in their crate on their own.  Kodi was a rescue and it's been more of a challenge, as he has broken out of his crate a couple times, so I had to get some zip ties!

Good luck though!

Hahaha yea. He flops over when i sit down. He LOVES belly rubs. You're not kidding aboit bad habits. Be is soooo laid back when we are here so we left him in a bedroom today for 3 hours during work and he destroyed the blinds. His hearing is also very selective but we are starting training on monday so hope to learn some strats on how to get him to listen/stop pulling. Thanks for the advice on patience!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2