Help With Selecting A Husky From Rescue Places

mirage

What is this stop pulling business? And listening? Huskies do that?

As you said you've dropped real lucky with Hurley not having many typical husky traits :D

They are a pulling breed and typically telling them not to pull goes aginst their breeding....Mia to be fair isn't too bad and after her initial excitement will calm and walk pretty well......but Teo was a sled dog so he is pull, pull, pull!! It's great for the bingo wings, lol

And as for listening, they will when the want to.....a bit like my children!!

I wouldn't swap them for the world though, love all my pack, human and dog alike :-)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yea I did my research and read all about selective hearing and pulling but you can't fault us for trying! I think we are going to try crate training this weekend. We also got a suggestion of building a fenced in area under our elevated sunroom. Maybe do a bit of both as he loves being outside.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Haha yea I did my research and read all about selective hearing and pulling but you can't fault us for trying! I think we are going to try crate training this weekend. We also got a suggestion of building a fenced in area under our elevated sunroom. Maybe do a bit of both as he loves being outside.Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I've found head collars are great to help with the pulling, as i have a scooter for my 2 I don't really want to stop them pulling as it will conflict with the scooter training....so i try to use the head collar for lead walks and harness for training or long walks when I send them ahead of me on a long lead to walk.

As for crate training I think your sensible trying it out, try putting him in it to start with after a walk/play when you think He'll be tired and gradually build up the length of time hes in there. I have an outdoor run for my 2 to go in when im at work, I feel happier leaving them in therefor longer periods of time so it would be great if you could use your sunroom for longer periods....just be careful with wood, they can quickly chew their way out of places! :)

Thanks for the suggestions! We will have to size him for a crate. He is supposedly 80 lbs but haven't taken him to the vet yet so not sure. I love how he just lies there when we aren't playing or walking!

Thanks for the suggestions! We will have to size him for a crate. He is supposedly 80 lbs but haven't taken him to the vet yet so not sure. I love how he just lies there when we aren't playing or walking! Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

They really are an amazing breed :) do keep us updated with how he is settling in

Haha yea I did my research and read all about selective hearing and pulling but you can't fault us for trying! I think we are going to try crate training this weekend. We also got a suggestion of building a fenced in area under our elevated sunroom. Maybe do a bit of both as he loves being outside.

Might I suggest a 6 foot wooden fence? Chances are, if your boy wants to escape (which they have been known to do, hence the phrase "Houdini of the K-9 world) he would more than likely climb a chainlink fence.

He's a handsome guy, isn't he? Congrats! :)

When I had a crate for mine, he fit in a large/extra large. He was sorta in between sizes...he was 68 pounds when we adopted him, now he's 75 and is at his healthy weight. :)

Thanks a lot guys! He is great except seems to have some degree of sa as he destroys something when we are hone for more than an hour and seems anxious when we return (runs around a lot and gets up real closr and leans on us). We ordered a crate and are waiting for it to arrive but gonna try the crate training which seems like it would help with the sa as well. :( poor barley.

Abram, remember please that rate training isn't going to be a weekend affair.  There are plenty of threads here on how to introduce Barley to a crate, but all of them are going to take time.  You want him to think of the crate as his den not a place of punishment. 

Pretty much the same thing on minor SA - if he's fine for a few minutes, then gradually stretch the time you spend away ... he's not "home" yet, all my rescues take time to realize that this is their final home and it is home!

Thanks al. Yeah we know that so we are going to gradually get him used to the crate. We are kinda at a loss for what to do during the day though. I can omly take so many days off from work. :(

Actually, if you can do that so that he can't dig out or otherwise escape that might be a good solution to

We are kinda at a loss for what to do during the day though. I can omly take so many days off from work. :(