Introducing A New Siberian

mattyscott

hi i already have a 10 month old male siberian husky and i think he is getting a bit lonely on his own and needs some company so we are gettin another little fluff ball, i didnt know wether to go to the rescue pounds so ii can have trial runs with diffrent dogs to see if they get on together or i have been offerd a 4 month old male siberian and didnt know wether it was a silly idea in case they didnt get on ,, but with the husky i have already only being 10 months i didnt know if he would start showing that he is the boss straight away ,, any ideas or any one who has done this before any info would be great thanks alot

Have a meet and greet with the two dogs, at a neutral location.  See how they react to one another.  Take them for a brief walk together.  Do this two or three days in a row, so they get acquainted.  Then, if that goes fine, you can bring the little guy home, but don't bring inside just yet.  Reintroduce the two outside, and take them for a walk together.  Then bring them both inside at the same time.  Just remember, nothing is guaranteed 100%.  You may still have some issues, and some spats to deal with, but hopefully they will only be minor.  Letting them get to know one another on neutral ground is a key element.

There's no real way of knowing.

When we rescued Darwin we had 3 months of fun and friendship before Echo

Started to 'have a go' at Darwin.

We then had 12 months of fights and trouble before they settled down.

You simply have to take the chance 

Great idea to get a buddy :D i have four and one is nursing pups right now so a house load lol..rescuing is very good but if someone is offering their 4 month old pup away that would be reasonable to because they dont want it and it could just end up in the pound later on :wacko: you wont really know how your ten month old would act so if i was you i would allow them to meet first maybe a couple times before you decide

Mazz gave you the walk through on how to let them get to know each other, the important thing is letting them greet each other on their terms.  If you can make it a "spontaneous" meeting, so the pups have a chance to sniff and play without dragging them into a confrontation you'll find it works better.

It's like playing matchmaker, the harder you try to get them to play, the less inclined they will be. Just relax and let them get to know each other ....

Good luck and congratulations on getting another one!  They are addicting!

I was kind of in your shoes last August.  I actually started thinking of getting a second one when Nikko was around 6 months old, and took him on a few meets with other huskies that didn’t go all that well.  I gave up, and a couple months later decided on getting a puppy from a breeder. 

I picked up Yukon when he was just about 8 weeks old, and the first meeting I had was outside on neutral ground.  Nikko was 9 months old at the time.  He did pretty well, and seemed to get along great with the pup.  I was really worried about them getting along because I got the new pup without them meeting before, so if it didn’t work out I would have been screwed! 

Nikko did seem to play rough at first, he has about a 45lb advantage, but  Yukon would not just roll over!  He was a little scrappy thing, pushing back at Nikko every chance he got! 

I think it was the best thing to get a second one though!  Nikko was going through a pretty naughty phase, being destructive and requiring a lot of attention.  Since getting Yukon they play a lot and keep each other busy, although Nikko still manages to get into trouble sometimes, but it has really been better.

Good luck and congratulations on getting another one! They are addicting!

I was kind of in your shoes last August. I actually started thinking of getting a second one when Nikko was around 6 months old, and took him on a few meets with other huskies that didn’t go all that well. I gave up, and a couple months later decided on getting a puppy from a breeder.

I picked up Yukon when he was just about 8 weeks old, and the first meeting I had was outside on neutral ground. Nikko was 9 months old at the time. He did pretty well, and seemed to get along great with the pup. I was really worried about them getting along because I got the new pup without them meeting before, so if it didn’t work out I would have been screwed!

Nikko did seem to play rough at first, he has about a 45lb advantage, but Yukon would not just roll over! He was a little scrappy thing, pushing back at Nikko every chance he got!

I think it was the best thing to get a second one though! Nikko was going through a pretty naughty phase, being destructive and requiring a lot of attention. Since getting Yukon they play a lot and keep each other busy, although Nikko still manages to get into trouble sometimes, but it has really been better.

Ye i think its a good idea having 2 ive been saying this for about 3 month but know one agreed ,apart from me :) , the vets hav said consider having my current dog neutred so there would be less aggresion ?? Thanks for your reply

yes they say altering the dog does reduce chances of fights but you still need to be ready in case small or even big fights occur IMO... I don't know for sure since I only have one dog, but I have seen and heard a lot of dogs that don't get along even if they're already neutered/spayed. I mean, if (just if) your dog has same sex aggression, resource guarding behavior or anything like that then neutering alone won't help much :) 

good luck! :D