Ha ha ha ha.. Karen you crack me up. Remember to leave room for four more lol

Of course Hunni!!

Invitation still stands!!

There's plenty of room in 1400 acres for 4 more lol

You just need to drive 3 hours or so!!!

We'll be waiting!!!

Karen.xx

:)

hmmm - quite an emotive subject this, and it will crop up often as new husky owners join & ask the question. The majority of us replying here now have seen this topic time & again, so I suggest you either treat it like the first time you have seen the article & reply politely, informatively & non-judgementally OR move on to the next topic & be helpful there instead.

It's one thing to advise people of your experiences, it's another to force your opinion or dismiss another's point of view because you don't agree. Members can then absorb information instead of reading gripes.

Personally, with 7 yrs husky-ownership experience, we thought we knew better with our girl as a pup, till she developed selective hearing at around 18 months of age and even then that was only on the fields at the back of our village. Now the only one allowed off lead is Big D, that is after 10-15 mins of onlead walking with the rest of us and it is either on a beach or woodland type of walk where he stays on the paths with us. If I thought for a minute he was not going to stay with us, he too would be permanently on lead. He does come when called, but bear in mind he's no runner either. But I am fully aware Diesel is the exception to my rule (no-one else's, just mine that huskies are not an offlead dog)

To reiterate - this is my personal opinion

I met a lady with a beautiful white husky off the lead down my local canal tow-path while I took mine bikeyawing in the opposite direction. They had a great play, in and out of the water etc. I got onto the subject of off-lead. Oh yes she said, no problem. "Doesn't she ever run off?". "No, she's sometimes gone for 10 minutes in the local fields and woods, but she ALWAYS comes back".

Lovely dog, and nice owner, but in my opinion, totally irresponsible. There are sheep in the surrounding fields for one thing. A lose dog that pretty is in danger of being picked up by a dog warden, theif or concerned member of the public for another. I was totally unimpressed.

I've never seen her or her dog since.

I would never let mine off lead. Luka could careless about recall, I'm chopped liver compared to the great big world.

Helping out with our local rescue really puts things in perspective when 1. You see how many huskies wind up in shelters every day. 2. How many emails you get of people that have lost their dog by having him offlead.

In my opinion why take the risk? I plan on having Luka in my life as long as possible and letting him sprint around in an unenclosed area offlead could possibly damage that. Recall is an important tool for any dog but all it takes is that ONE time and they're gone. I refuse to be that person. Bottom line if you trust your dog, that's fine but imagine one time him not coming back and being lost forever. Could you handle that? I know I couldn't...

I only let my Echo of lead..He was worked with EVERYDAY since a pup on being off lead and we worked with him not only at home but at the lake, park, other peoples houses,etc so he would learn that no matter where we are or what he is doing he is to come back to us..He is almost three and still does GREAT with it we have never had a problem..But huskies cant be trusted they could take of at any moment..Cherokee we dont even bother with because she is so stubborn and would take off..and the pups are only let off lead at our house on our property or at a family members and it is only when we are right there with them so if they go to wander of we can walk after them and call them back..Good luck

I respect the law and other people thats why i have spoken with ALL my neighbors about if my dogs EVER got out where i live my phone number and there names and i ask them if they would be mad if they were found on their property..I have written statements from all but one who threatened to shot them if seen. that it was fine and they would return them if gotten lose...BUT on my property, there is a fenced in backyard in which they do go in...the only time they are off lead on my property is when training, sprayed there pin with pesticide, or just want to give them more area to run..BUT technically i wouldnt say they were off lead because my land is completly fenced in to mark our land..lol so would that technically be off lead?? anyways if i took them anywhere else they are defintly onlead except for at the lake which doesnt have a law to be on lead and then echo is the ONLY one off lead :)  and if there are other dogs i keep him on lead to be respectful to other people walking their dogs..I get where you are coming from because i was at a state park which is a law that dogs must be on lead and this ladies doberman tried to attack my girl and she laughed saying she was only playing..NO SHE WAS NOT and she should have been onlead..great post by the way no one normally thinks about this!

I hope those of you who let your dogs off lead are respectful both of the law and of people around you. I cannot stand to see people with their dogs off lead in areas where it very clearly states dogs MUST be on lead at all times. Your dog may be an exception, but you are not. Your dog having reliable recall doesn't give you the right to disregard the rules or other people's feelings of safety.

I really didn't say it to be rude, but I am a person who is afraid of most grown up dogs that I don't know, so I sympathize with other people and try very hard to be respectful of their feelings and their space. If an area has a leash law, or if someone appears to be terrified, it is only respectful to leash the dog. 

Especially living in a townhouse community, I see people open their front doors, and let their dogs out unleashed to do their business. Our community has a VERY SPECIFIC AND CLEAR leash law. It is not hard to get a retractable or long lead and clip it on them and stand in the door and wait three minutes. Drives me crazy. Can't wait to be out of that place.

Oh noooooo noooo nooo you were not rude!! Very informative for new husky owners to know! You did a great job!

I really didn't say it to be rude, but I am a person who is afraid of most grown up dogs that I don't know, so I sympathize with other people and try very hard to be respectful of their feelings and their space. If an area has a leash law, or if someone appears to be terrified, it is only respectful to leash the dog. 

Especially living in a townhouse community, I see people open their front doors, and let their dogs out unleashed to do their business. Our community has a VERY SPECIFIC AND CLEAR leash law. It is not hard to get a retractable or long lead and clip it on them and stand in the door and wait three minutes. Drives me crazy. Can't wait to be out of that place.

I do not think Balto will ever be allowed off lead unless in a very secure area. When we first got him, we never let him off lead but in very secure areas he had great recall and always came running back, now however his recall maybe 60% or less of the time. He hears me call his name as he will look at me or move his ear in my direction but will just brush it off and keep going.

The same is here around the duplex area where we live. People will open their doors and let their dogs run outside with out a leash or any supervision and some days when I am walking Balto their dog will come and try to attack Balto. (The dogs tail it pointed up, they are growling and snarling and running dead bolt at him). Their owners don't do a thing!!! It drives me insane. Balto is always put on a leash and if someone is walking their dog then we respect them and shorten Balto's leash so he cannot jump, pull,etc until they pass. If there are people out with no dogs we do the same thing unless they approach and ask, but Balto has to sit and be good or it doesn't happen.

Personally, I would never let Suka off lead (unless it is a secured fenced-in area)

In fact, I haven't been taking him to the (enclosed) dog park as much because of his very poor recall: because quite frankly its embarrassing. I plan to retrain it in a month when I get out of school using a 50ft lead.

I did not expect such a high come back on this post as I posted this subject honest and personal my sib is 6 and a half months old she has her prey instinked already and I have a very good bond with nala and never leaves my side , I can say I lead my sib off the lead at least once a day how can you keep such a beautiful and powerful dog on the lead she loves playing with all other dogs off the lead ok people say you shouldn't but if you trust each other and a great friendship which I have with nala them why not , I have no dough that people will just go on and on and what I do is wrong but I would not do anything to harm her in anyway shape or form.

I did not expect such a high come back on this post as I posted this subject honest and personal my sib is 6 and a half months old she has her prey instinked already and I have a very good bond with nala and never leaves my side , I can say I lead my sib off the lead at least once a day how can you keep such a beautiful and powerful dog on the lead she loves playing with all other dogs off the lead ok people say you shouldn't but if you trust each other and a great friendship which I have with nala them why not , I have no dough that people will just go on and on and what I do is wrong but I would not do anything to harm her in anyway shape or form.

Sighs heavily, and walks away shaking his head.  :headbang:

Is this your first Sib? Having a puppy is not the same as having experience in the breed. Puppies will stay close to home but there may suddenly be a time when all the trust and friendship in the world won't bring her back. Which is why a couple of people have posted articles saying as much, that were written by people who have dedicated their entire lives to this breed.

Shaun, we do not mean to be blunt or appear to be irritable on this issue, but please understand we have seen many situations like yours - the owners of young huskies come on here explaining how good their husky is off lead, then soon afterwards they end up posting that their husky ran away, or was hit by a car, etc. And its hard for us to refrain from telling these people 'we told you so', because we see it so often here. It's a real shame when people don't take the advice of more experienced husky owners, and the dog is the one that pays the price. 

It has nothing to do with how well you and your husky have bonded. Many people on here have thought their husky was the exception and ended up losing theirs forever. It's just in the nature of their breed, and to refuse to acknowledge that and take the advice of many other husky owners, IMO, is irresponsible and does not portray that person as a good husky owner. 

A working dog I know of was working in a field the other day fancied this rabbit ran across a main road and died was around 2 weeks ago. Not even a husky was always off lead very strong bond with owner suddenly went deaf over this rabbit.

No breed can ever be 100 percent safe off lead and it is highly recommend huskies are not both mine will always be on the lead unless in an enclosed area.

Shaun, my first Husky was a rescue out of Houston.  Loved that dog and wouldn't have done anything to hurt her for he world.  I moved out to west Texas where "she had all the world to run in".  She'd go out and hunt, but she'd come home most nights and if I wanted her all I had to do was yell.

Then one night she didn't - that was a year and a half ago.  You have no idea how many times I've kicked myself ...

If you *really* love that pup you'll keep her safe - which means on lead.  If you want to let her run because it's fun and enjoyable then do it someplace safe - behind a fence somewhere.  If you can't do that ..... then please consider what you mean to her - you're her life - please let her enjoy it.

If you really are that adamant that you want an offlead dog.

Then take your puppy to the shelter and swap it for a Labrador or German shepherd both breeds that can be trained for reliable recall.

I'm walking into the lions den here. But would you say the same to Karen about her four dogs which she walks off lead every day and has done for the last 5 yrs, would you tell her to give her sibes up to a shelter and get a different breed?

As far as I was aware Marc has already added his calming opinion in this matter and stated essentially regardless of people's opinions its down to the individuals choice in what they choose to do with their dog

I'm walking into the lions den here. But would you say the same to Karen about her four dogs which she walks off lead every day and has done for the last 5 yrs, would you tell her to give her sibes up to a shelter and get a different breed?

As far as I was aware Marc has already added his calming opinion in this matter and stated essentially regardless of people's opinions its down to the individuals choice in what they choose to do with their dog

There are always exceptions to the rule.

And Al Jones firmly believed his dog was one such until after many happy off lead years. . . Gone.

I want his (MrFresh13) (and all Huskies) to be safe.

To put your pup at risk simply to try to prove that this individual pup is the exception against the overwhelming evidence of many generations

of Husky owners, that this breed cannot be trusted in the open off lead, is to put it mildly. Foolhardy.

I used to let Frankie off lead, he was great, always came back. This was of course when he was a younger pup. Now our bond is stronger than ever, his training is better than ever but I now ALWAYS walk him on his lead! I decided to when he started paying a lot more attention to the other things around us. Like many have said, I don't think it's worth the risk. They aren't missing out on anything if you get a long lead so they can roam around and feel free, at least you'll have a piece of mind and a Husky to always take back home. Surely it's better to be safe than sorry? Frankie is just as happy on our walks now than when I used to let him off lead, maybe happier because I'm not constantly calling him back in fear of losing him!

Glala used to have a great recall. When she was a bit younger she always came when called, regardless of environment, off lead (but in enclosed environments) or on lead and distractions. As she grew older she kept having this perfect recall and was always focussed on Ruth. She had agility training and loved it. However, on a seemingly random day, she suddenly stopped, looked around, weighted her options and ran off (much like the agility show video posted some time ago). Thank god it was there and not somewhere on a walk close to a road. Ever since then she'll just run off when loose. She has undergone lots of training and she finally comes when called but only when she realizes she's in a enclosed area. But when she's totally free to run, she's gone in a matter of a few seconds. So why did it happened? I have no clue, and so do lots of other husky owners that got their huskies lost after thinking their dog had a perfect recall. Yes, they had... until then.

I've been on this forum for nearly 2.5 years now and I've seen a lot of threads go by. At some point I started keeping track of posts where people experienced what they thought would never happen: Their husky ran off. Either they were already off lead, or they got loose by accidentally. After I got 40 or 50 items I stopped doing it as it started to really depress me. The majority got their huskies back (with or without injuries) eventually, some are still lost to this day. Not so long ago a husky pup was found dead next to the road quite close to me. 

I love my huskies and I do everything to keep them both safe and happy, and one way to do that is by reading other's experiences on here so I don't have to make the same mistake that may or may not be fatal to my dogs. If I can do anything to prevent my dogs to not end their life like that husky pup next to the road, I'll take it. It's as simple as that for me. I'm not gambling with the the lives of my animals that are my responsibility.