Huskys Off The Lead

Mrfresh13

I did not expect such a high come back on this post as I posted this subject honest and personal my sib is 6 and a half months old she has her prey instinked already and I have a very good bond with nala and never leaves my side , I can say I lead my sib off the lead at least once a day how can you keep such a beautiful and powerful dog on the lead she loves playing with all other dogs off the lead ok people say you shouldn't but if you trust each other and a great friendship which I have with nala them why not , I have no dough that people will just go on and on and what I do is wrong but I would not do anything to harm her in anyway shape or form.

i let mine have the 'freedom of offlead' by using 100ft leads maybe you could look into that? that way she can still run around and play without her being able to actually run away ? even if u dont hold the lead n its just there to step on if you think shes getting abit too far away from you ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hesitant to chime in here, but I would never let my huskies off lead unless they are in an enclosed area. True it is up to the owners on how to raise their dogs but also to keep them safe. Just as I wouldn't want to be judged on what I do, I would not judge anyone else. I do however believe that it is bred into huskies to run but what we don't know is what their property is like. If you live in the country with acres and acres and little or no traffic then maybe. I live right on a major road with a lot of traffic so i would never think about it no matter how goos their recall is. Not to mention the leash laws. If you are in an area with neighbors and your dogs go on other people's property I think it's disrespectful.

It's a controversial subject within husky owners and I think every new owner should know the risks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always let 2 of my huskies of their leads at the park or the beach and they always come back when i call them as i have taught them to do so from puppy hood. One of our sibs just does not listen so she never gets let of the lead. Ever!!! It just depends on if they listen to you as sibs can be very stubborn

I always let 2 of my huskies of their leads at the park or the beach and they always come back when i call them as i have taught them to do so from puppy hood. One of our sibs just does not listen so she never gets let of the lead. Ever!!! It just depends on if they listen to you as sibs can be very stubborn

All of my older huskies have superb recall. Having said that, I know that they can't be trusted 100% so I never ever let them offlead in unenclosed areas. 

QUilla.gif - "QUILLA"

Almost 20 years ago now, we bred our first litter of Siberian Huskies. One of the pups went to a friend of ours who already owned a husky/collie cross with whom she did high-level competition agility and obedience. She had her puppy "Quilla" from 8 weeks and trained her exhaustively in obedience. I've never seen a better dog at recall, let alone another Siberian! For the next five years or so, "Quilla" competed in Obedience and Agility competitions with a great deal of success. During the course of her life, she must have recalled perfectly thousands upon thousands of times - often while running free in the forest with all the distractions of rabbits, squirrels, deer and other dogs. Then one day with no warning, "Quilla" jumped a neighbour's fence (which she had never done before in 5 years) and, despite the owner's recall command which she ignored for the first time in her life, she ran through the neighbour's open gate and straight under a car - killed instantly!

Huskies only have to ignore you ONCE and that once could be (like Quilla) the first and last time! If you truly love your huskies, make the effort to exercise them safely, don't put them at risk!

What's everyone's problem.... I just don't get why people can't talk about having a dog off lead without it turning into people saying.... Well you have a husky, therefore you can't have it off lead. It's stupid

Does my head in

Game over. You've all had your says and yet again the conversation has just got ridiculous.

Topic closed

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2