Ice Cream Debate

CARRINGTON

Like I said I do give mine people food as a special treat and not all the time. Besides their kibble I give them boiled chicken and carrots regularly along with liver dog treats. Sometimes I will give them string cheese too but not a lot. I always take note of what they can and cannot handle and remember moderation. And of course avoid the toxic foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We finally have my dog trained to lay in her crate while everyone is eating. She is a sneak from hell that will stop at nothing to get our food!

That is Vader for sure.  He can not be out and about when food is out.  He is always crated during food times.  Rusty and Rori are pretty good.  I can set my plate down and walk out of the room and It is there every time.  Rusty may sniff but he won't try to taste unless I am watching...silly puppy.

Unless you're allowing your dog to feed on freshly killed animal carcass you are feeding people food. Most meat these days is treated at some point. So unless you feed your dog grass fed free range organic hormone free chicken cow goat, probably best to keep the criticism to a minimum.

Emily (Chula), please refrain from making sarcastic and condescending comments - they have no place on this forum. Thanks.

I believe when people say "people food", they mean food that has been prepared and/or cooked, or is otherwise not in its natural state.

For example, I see cooked steak (with seasonings/etc) as 'people food', but raw steak I would not see as 'people food'.

I apologize for the sarcasm. But I do think we all have our own line as far as what is natural and "good" for a dog. Obviously we are talking about domesticated animals and not wild dogs. We make a lot of adjustments that alter the way an animal lives in the wild - vaccines, baths, crates, brushing, nail clipping in order to make them pets and not wild. All things people also do for their human children. (Well, except for crates, that would be illegal). It all comes down to where each person is comfortable drawing the line. And as long as someone isn't abusing or neglecting their animal, and is trying to make their dog happy, in my opinion, there is no reason to put them down.

If you feel my posts are too sarcastic I won't be injured if they're deleted.

Oh no I didn't realise they couldn't have the seeds! I'll de-core them in the future!

If the dog swallows a few seeds, the body will detoxify itself. Actually, the dog must ingest large quantities of apple seeds to do major damage. Also, the cyanide is within the seed covering, and if the covering isn’t broken, it will pass through the dog’s system intact. Sort of a no harm, no foul situation. So don't worry yourself silly about it :) just do as you said and in future decode them before hand :)

Emily (Chula), please refrain from making sarcastic and condescending comments - they have no place on this forum. Thanks.

I believe when people say "people food", they mean food that has been prepared and/or cooked, or is otherwise not in its natural state.

For example, I see cooked steak (with seasonings/etc) as 'people food', but raw steak I would not see as 'people food'.

To be fair Elyse I see raw steak an think 'yum' .. It's still people food, just not in the ready to eat form

Hmmm,

So anyone else here supplement their dogs diet with a daily mouse,shrew ,mole or vole??!!

Swallowed whole,fur,feet and everything else still intact lol !!!

Live ,warm and wriggling!! But a totally fresh and natural treat too!!

Sadly,that's how it is for my lot,just try stopping them,it's impossible!!!

They have a bit of everything in their diets,including ice cream!!

And all 4 have cast iron stomachs too,so never a problem for me or them!!!

Karen.xx

:)

Hmmm,

So anyone else here supplement their dogs diet with a daily mouse,shrew ,mole or vole??!!

Swallowed whole,fur,feet and everything else still intact lol !!!

Live ,warm and wriggling!! But a totally fresh and natural treat too!!

Sadly,that's how it is for my lot,just try stopping them,it's impossible!!!

They have a bit of everything in their diets,including ice cream!!

And all 4 have cast iron stomachs too,so never a problem for me or them!!!

Karen.xx

:)

Live warm an wriggling, but totally fresh an natural treat ( fell of me chair laughing.. Oh is looking at me rather quizzically and dialling for the men in the white coats an van)

It's ok Nic,

I know you're always hungry!!

Thankfully you're always broke too,so no raw steak for you or the Huskateers!!

(Phew,that's a relief!!!)

Karen xx :)

This is true.. I can only stare woefully at the steak an dream of eating it lol

When Cherokee was in labor for a whole day the vet told me to give her vanilla ice cream to speed up the labor and within an hour she started having the pups but that was the first time i have ever fed ice cream

How do some of you feel about giving your dog an occasional ice cream cone? We asked our vet a while back about it and they said it was fine if given once in a great while. It is just like using cheese for treats or giving your dog yogurt. Balto usually has the runs after those two but did awesome with the ice cream. He also worked really hard command wise as he mastered 4 new tricks. What are your alls opinion on ice cream

When Cherokee was in labor for a whole day the vet told me to give her vanilla ice cream to speed up the labor and within an hour she started having the pups but that was the first time i have ever fed ice cream

I have never heard of ice cream to speed up labor.... I will have to tell me uncle that next time Midnight (his lab) and Oreo (his other lab) mate