Ice Cream Debate

CARRINGTON

I personally cant see why you keep starting topics about giving dogs (particularly your puppy) ice cream. What is the thing about giving dogs stuff to eat which is particularly suited to human beings as opposed to discussing what foods people should be giving their animals if they wish to give them a long and healthy life.It just baffles me !Feel free to criticise my comment.

Of course I want my dog to be healthy and he is spot on weight wise and has great health. Before we give

Him anything we ask our vet. They said as long as it isn't every day and he does not have diarrhea, vomiting or

Not acting like himself to go in and see them and not feed it to him again but he did fine so they said as an occasional treat would be fine. I think every dog is different and as long as you don't over do it it will be fine. Plus I am sure if you look through older posts I am not the only person giving their ice cream or people food

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my dog's favorite things is string cheese!  They go nuts over it!  I also always have boiled chicken breast for them as treats, and ALOT of carrots, although Nikko is kind of sick of them.  I also give them apple pieces and oranges sometimes too

One of my dog's favorite things is string cheese!  They go nuts over it!  I also always have boiled chicken breast for them as treats, and ALOT of carrots, although Nikko is kind of sick of them.  I also give them apple pieces and oranges sometimes too

Is raw fruit and veggies healthy for a dog? Does it have benefits? (just trying to improve my dogs health)

One of my dog's favorite things is string cheese! They go nuts over it! I also always have boiled chicken breast for them as treats, and ALOT of carrots, although Nikko is kind of sick of them. I also give them apple pieces and oranges sometimes too

Mia loves apple, and will eat a whole one!

Yes Al Jones, your observations are correct. I believe in giving my dog what is good for her. O.k., I accept the 'occasional treat ' is fine and obviously some people who consider their animals in the same light as human babies, will give a treat that they think a human child would like.

I, however, subscribe to the thinking that our dogs are ANIMALS - not humans and therefore their needs are totally different to ours. I just don't see the point in giving an animal a food that is filled full of items that 'may not' be good for them.

There are a few differing professional opinions on whether human foods e.g. ice cream( with all their additives and ingredients that wouldn't be found in a natural husky diet) are 'bad for dogs' or ' wont really do them harm'.

Why on earth would you give something to your dog that may ??? be bad for them; even in small amounts.

I love my Husky more than anything on this Earth, and that is probably why I feel so strongly about these things. I would never give my girl ANYTHING , even in small amounts that was bad for her.

Is raw fruit and veggies healthy for a dog? Does it have benefits? (just trying to improve my dogs health)

Yes they are!  For apples,  you have to make sure they don't get the apple core, the seeds are toxic.  And grapes/raisins are on the toxic list. 

I take it easy on the oranges, especially with Yukon because his stomach is pretty sensative and I think produces too much acid. 

Yes they are!  For apples,  you have to make sure they don't get the apple core, the seeds are toxic.  And grapes/raisins are on the toxic list. 

I take it easy on the oranges, especially with Yukon because his stomach is pretty sensative and I think produces too much acid. 

I will defo keep apples in mind for a good treat for Hurley. She is having so many skin issue right now. She was treated for a bacterial skin condition, but the treatment didn't improve anything, so now we are thinking allergy. I'm switching her food at the moment, but she was on Iams for 3 1/2 years before I adopted her. I really don't know what is going on with her, so I am trying to feed her the healthiest stuff that I can lol. Thank you for the advice.

Yes Al Jones, your observations are correct. I believe in giving my dog what is good for her. O.k., I accept the 'occasional treat ' is fine and obviously some people who consider their animals in the same light as human babies, will give a treat that they think a human child would like.

I, however, subscribe to the thinking that our dogs are ANIMALS - not humans and therefore their needs are totally different to ours. I just don't see the point in giving an animal a food that is filled full of items that 'may not' be good for them.

There are a few differing professional opinions on whether human foods e.g. ice cream( with all their additives and ingredients that wouldn't be found in a natural husky diet) are 'bad for dogs' or ' wont really do them harm'.

Why on earth would you give something to your dog that may ??? be bad for them; even in small amounts.

I love my Husky more than anything on this Earth, and that is probably why I feel so strongly about these things. I would never give my girl ANYTHING , even in small amounts that was bad for her.

What kind of food are you feeding your dog? If you are feeding them anything but a natural diet of food that a husky would eat as a wild dog, then I am sure that there are additives in your dogs food that may be controversial.

While I appreciate your opinion, and am currently in the same boat as you, working to make sure that I provide nothing but the absolute best for my dog (considering her current health issue), stating your opinion in such a way as to seemingly insult those with a difference of opinion is not a good way to go. While you may not intend to insult, you are definitely condescending.

Yes they are! For apples, you have to make sure they don't get the apple core, the seeds are toxic.

Oh no I didn't realise they couldn't have the seeds! I'll de-core them in the future!

While you may not intend to insult, you are definitely condescending.

[/quote

I don't set out or intend to insult people, - condescending , maybe.

Quite frankly, I don't have time for people who consider animals as their babies and treat them like humans.

I repeat - they are animals. I treat them as animals and I make no apologies for that.

While you may not intend to insult, you are definitely condescending.

[/quote

I don't set out or intend to insult people, - condescending , maybe.

Quite frankly, I don't have time for people who consider animals as their babies and treat them like humans.

I repeat - they are animals. I treat them as animals and I make no apologies for that.

I find your comments rude and no one likes to be told they aren't raising their dogs to your standards. I am pretty sure most don't treat their dogs as "human babies". I don't think people put them in clothes, let them eat from the table, carried around the store in a back pack, and never made to do anything. I will say some give their dogs people food on occasion not every single day for every single meal. You are putting others down when I am sure you do things that others may find inappropriate for a dog

But they would not try to be condescending on purpose or say that your opinions are a waste of

Time. I thought this was a place we could come and share about the breed we love without being ridiculed or

Put down.

I personally cant see why you keep starting topics about giving dogs (particularly your puppy) ice cream. What is the thing about giving dogs stuff to eat which is particularly suited to human beings as opposed to discussing what foods people should be giving their animals if they wish to give them a long and healthy life.

It just baffles me !

Feel free to criticise my comment.

Chris,  If it bothers you that much, simply move on to other posts.  No need to be critical.

Carrington, If you have an issue with a post, best to report it and let staff handle it.

Everyone, A real good way to stay on the upside is to not get personal and not take personal, any posts.  Staff will be watching this thread and if it gets out of hand, we will handle it.  The admin and staff, and the majority of members on this site, find it to be friendly and helpful.  Opinions are part of the mix, but when we become closed to others' opinions, that's when issues arise.

Chris, If it bothers you that much, simply move on to other posts. No need to be critical.

Carrington, If you have an issue with a post, best to report it and let staff handle it.

Everyone, A real good way to stay on the upside is to not get personal and not take personal, any posts. Staff will be watching this thread and if it gets out of hand, we will handle it. The admin and staff, and the majority of members on this site, find it to be friendly and helpful. Opinions are part of the mix, but when we become closed to others' opinions, that's when issues arise.

I did not know we could report things to staff. How is that done and what kind of things are reported

I did not know we could report things to staff. How is that done and what kind of things are reported

At the bottom of each post, there are several links you can click on.  Quote and MultiQuote are boxed.  Report is at the left of the string.

At the bottom of each post, there are several links you can click on.  Quote and MultiQuote are boxed.  Report is at the left of the string.

So you just hit that button and only that post goes to you or the whole thread? Does it go to you or just certain people

Frankie is fed a raw diet as I believe it's the most natural and healthy diet for him. His treats are dried meat and bones but as he lives in our house and is a very intelligent boy who likes the smell of other foods, he also manages to sneak leftovers. Does this bother me? Not at all! Treats in moderation are fine, I'm sure if anyone's dog reacted to something, whether it was made for humans or dogs, they would make sure they didn't have it again. We all love our dogs otherwise we wouldn't be here! I say if your dog likes ice cream, as a treat let him have ice cream!

Well I'm going to chime in on the topic.  We have given our dogs frozen custard.  May get it once a year.  It's not an every day or every week thing.  And, they don't get a lot of it, just a little.  They also get yogurt once in awhile, which is actually good for them. Everything in moderation though.  Dogs and sugary foods are a path to having a diabetic dog, which is not good.

So you just hit that button and only that post goes to you or the whole thread? Does it go to you or just certain people

All admin/staff will get a notification on the post that's been reported so whichever members ov staff are on at that time can sort it out

I also want to chime in that not all huskies have sensitive stomachs only things my 2 can't eat are bonio dog biscuits n pork , and yes I share things with them like the occasional pizza crust etc with no problems n they are all happy healthy dogs

Also thought I might add;

I think human food is probably easier for them to digest than carpet, cardboard, shoes, clothes, hairbrushes, teddies, etc etc that I think all of us can say our dogs have eaten at some point! ;)

Also thought I might add;

I think human food is probably easier for them to digest than carpet, cardboard, shoes, clothes, hairbrushes, teddies, etc etc that I think all of us can say our dogs have eaten at some point! ;)

Pmsl Xx

Eika will get the remains of my ice cream bowl, or dinner plate or anything I put down for two seconds and look away. She is the worst at stealing food, luckily she has an iron stomach. My poor kid had to fight with her when she was a pup as she used to counter surf his high chair, he of course thought it was hilarious and would encourage her! Tried training it out of her but proved fruitless, so she had to be shut out when he ate.

She gets cheese and hotdog as a treat she loves them and means she doesn't get stressed when we leave the house, she's spot on for her weight, healthy teeth, healthy coat, so I don't see what the problem is.

Oh and on the topic of people treating their dogs as human babies, if they're being loved and looked after (I don't agree if people aren't feeding them properly and it's damaging to their health) is it really an issue? Better than them being stuck in some shelter, no?