Bear's Stopped Ripping My Carpets!

Emma

As many of you probably know, we rescued Bear when she was roughly 12 weeks old as she was flung out of the van in front of my husband.  (Sorry to repeat myself as I've just mentioned this on another thread!)  She has had many Separation Anxiety issues, a fear of noisy vehicles approaching (she used to stop dead in the middle of the road if you were crossing it and a car was coming).  She also had a major issue with confinement which manifested itself by her pacing, drooling, panting, destroying the house and if crated, self harming in order to escape.  (She sheared the skin on the top of her muzzle from her nose to half way up her muzzle, looked like someone had peeled her like a potato).  She also used to growl if we approached her and she felt confined in a space against the wall/in a corner but this has completely gone now and she's actually turned from a puppy who looks at you in confusion if you try to stroke her to a lady who loves to lay against you for belly fusses and ear scratches.  A complete turn around!

The one thing that remained was that when we went out she would regularly rip up the hallway carpets and tear them apart.  I've sewn them back together so many times it looks like a patchwork quilt!  I tried many different ways to try to sort this with varying successes but never really solved the problem until January this year.

When we leave her the living room is gated and all bedroom doors are shut.  She has the run of the hallway, stairs and landing.  However this year I decided to try and leave all the bedroom doors open as usual and give her the soft toys she loves to snuggle the most and so far nearly 3 months on she hasn't been distressed or destructive since!  Initially she had SA but I think I just assumed that this was still the problem when really it was just her being upset at having her safe areas shut off.  (She sleeps under our bed at night and likes to curl up under my eldest's bed in the morning and evening).   She's totally different when we leave now, she just takes her toys from my hand and runs off upstairs to lay on or under my bed.  She doesn't even sit by the front door watching us leave anymore, I think it looks like she's finally content!  Only taken us 18 months to sort out!  lol. 

Here's a picture from when we first got her....

post-6386-13586004077754_thumb.jpg

And here's a picture of her at a husky meet we went to last month....

post-6386-0-47676700-1364677215_thumb.jp

Awesome.

Well done on your hard work and perseverance :up:

Thanks  Andy.  Not much chance of us giving up on her, I was besotted from the moment she came through the door and besides I'm very...um...stubborn, or as my mother likes to say "bl**dy minded", lol.  That's a good thing, right?  Lol. 

<p>Well done! :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is she an Agouti? Or just a 'dirty-faced' husky? I like her coat - its striking. </p>

Thank you Elyse. :)

Her coat is beautiful, her colouring comes from the fact that she's a husky mix. Not sure what exactly but I'd put money on husky/gsd/American Akita. She's got aspects of all 3 and is absolutely huge! She scares most people off though as she really is very heavy set which can be intimidating to some.