My Finicky Baby

mydiamond

Oh my goodness I think I'm losing my mind!  :wacko: I have dealt with this "self-starving" behavior before and managed to reach a point where Dime would finish his breakfast within 30 minutes after I put the bowl down, but now he's doing it again  :( I don't understand, he must be hungry. He didn't eat anything all day!  :unsure: yet unless I put cheese or biscuits in the bowl he won't eat. Not even a tiny bit :( back then, I used to lift his bowl after a certain time limit and only give it back on the next mealtime. It used to work, but somehow... not anymore  :unsure: he skipped breakfast and lunch yet he's not hungry for dinner  :wacko: finally I gave in and hand-fed him.. I thought as long as I don't put treats to make him eat, it won't encourage this "self-starving" behavior. Well how wrong was that. Now it's not about the cheese or biscuits, it's about me. Unless I'm there watching him eat, he won't eat  :facepalm: well I can't be home 24/7.. I got school :( I know I've done this once before and there is no doubt I can deal with this behavior for the second time but right now I just feel a bit frustrated... why oh why would this behavior return?  :(​ 

okay rant over :P

I though Ghost would never have this problem, but lately he's becoming picky and sometimes doesn't have interest in his food, which is extremely unlike him. If there's food or treat he doesn't eat, I take it in hand and give a command out. Sometimes he eats it, other times I just leave him be, take the food bowl up and wait till 8-12 hours pass or rarely even a whole day.

Rusty does this all the time.  He will go sometimes 2 days with not eating.  Huskies are known to change metabolism so if he is not exercising to use what he already has then he won't be as hungry.  Dime will eat when he is hungry.  I use to hand feed or give treats because I felt bad as well.  I stopped doing that to encourage him to eat his food.  I would only worry if he starts to change his behavior or gets lethargic.  I think there is nothing to worry about.   

Darwin will quite often not eat in the morning.

But will be ready by the time for his evening meal.

Also he eats quite slowly, taking his time.

Echo and Daughtry on the other hand seem to be bottomless pits.

The food barely touches the sides it goes down that quick.

I always learnt growing up that adult, healthy cats were fed twice a day and dogs once as a generalised rule. There will be exceptions to this though, I'm sure. Can't imagine a diabetic animal would benefit from this too well.

how often do you feed him? maybe just feed him once a day when your home? 

we have to bring bings bowl upstairs or he wont eat n i have to be home too (he follows me all the time)

I have always fed him twice, but with how things are right now I might start feeding him only once per day. Thanks for the suggestion :)