They're Mean To Me :'c

Smokey

I've been having problems on another dog forum. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just that I've needed a lot of support in the last few days/weeks and I've been getting a lot of negative reactions.

I'll be moving back to Las Vegas (from Chicago) on Friday. Back with my parents, all 6 cats and both dogs and all. Las Vegas is hot; over 120 degrees for weeks on end. And my dogs might have to be outside for long periods of time (or crated in the house). Plus my mom is a manipulative, emotionally blackmailing and conniving person. I understand it's not a good place for my dogs and I to be but really, I've no place else to go. They think I'm not diligent enough or knowledgeable enough to handle my dogs and myself in this situation. I know I'm an emotional wreck and having my mom around would make me worse. I understand that my dogs being outside for long periods of time in the heat can be dangerous. But honestly, what else can I do...

That's why I stopped frequenting other husky forums - I found them to be very egotistical (they looked down on me cause Suka isn't a purebred and  blah blah blah), judgmental, and quite frankly...full of people who I wouldn't want to hang around with. So I came back here. 

While I don't have any experience in that kind of heat, I'm sure as long as they have a lot of shade, a lot of water, and perhaps a lean-to (or a doghouse) to keep out of the elements they should be fine?

I tagged Al for you - he lives in Texas so he should have experience with this kind of heat...

Anywho, I wish you good luck in everything. Keep us updated, eh?

I cant advise anything really but i am sure you can work with what you will have :) Dogs can be fine in the head with the correct things in place!! :)

Unfortunately i found other forums to be judgemental which is why i am only on this husky forum now :)

I would say, if you can freeze big amounts of water to make ice for them, at least they will have something cold to play with. Like bottles of water, or bowls from which you might be able to get the ice out. I would even sprinkle their heads with water so they feel more cool, but what do I know. :)

Yeah people like that are... there's this local unofficial husky club which thrives for members, and a few people of us don't have huskies with papers, and so they are sometimes little distant to us, but only a few people, others don't mind. This forum is really just likes huskies, so friendly. :)

I found huskies to be a highly adaptable breed. As long as you provide enough shade and maybe put some ice cubes in their water bowl once per day (or more), they'd be fine :) oh and remember not to walk them when it's too hot outside the pavement may hurt their pads :) best of luck! ;) 

Oh, and... you might have heard this a thousand times before, but this too will pass :) my motto is "no matter how bad, one hour is only sixty minutes long". You've always been strong enough to get over many many challenges in your life before, so what makes this one so different? ;) stay strong, you're not alone xxx 

Do you not have any other family or friends that you can stay with rather than your mother ??

You managed very well when you lived in Las Vegas before so I'm sure you know how to handle the pooches in the heat.

I'm sorry I can't help with any advice.

Good luck.

You know your Husky family is here as a shoulder to cry on if needed. 

No matter where you go or which sites you choose to visit, don't listen to anyone telling you you're not capable/knowledgable because that's not true. You've already proved that by coping so far and if there's something you're unsure of then you can post it here and we'll try our best to help. Good luck. X

Hey Smokey ( Elyse's tag didn't work, but I read most of what you write anyway :) )

For your concerns about the dogs being outside ... take care of shade and water and they'll take care of themselves.  I don't have air conditioning here and we, too, spend most of the summer well over the century mark and mine get on just fine. 

Stop at a pet store and get yourself one of the "automatic" water dishes that take a 4 - 5 gallon jug; 5 gallons will last my two 2 - 3 days during the summer and it's always available (if you remember to refill it!)

As you know, these dogs are adaptable I'm not sure I'd want to take them from -30 to 90+ overnight, that might stress them a bit, but you're getting there before it's gotten hot yet ( we get about the same temp here as you will there and we're gradually getting into the 90's during the day ).

I'd offer you a place here for a while, but while it's a great place to live there's almost no work and with summer coming on there'll be less. We get our "tourist's" from the north over the winter - "snowbirds".

I don't envy you, going home to your family is not going to be easy ... as 'liv said, it's one day at a time, and if you can't handle a day try for an hour at a time, and if you can't handle the hour, try for the next minute.  Take care, love, you're strong, you can handle anything life throws at you!  and of course, when it gets rough, we are here so you an let off steam!

Hey Smokey ( Elyse's tag didn't work, but I read most of what you write anyway :) )

For your concerns about the dogs being outside ... take care of shade and water and they'll take care of themselves.  I don't have air conditioning here and we, too, spend most of the summer well over the century mark and mine get on just fine. 

Stop at a pet store and get yourself one of the "automatic" water dishes that take a 4 - 5 gallon jug; 5 gallons will last my two 2 - 3 days during the summer and it's always available (if you remember to refill it!)

As you know, these dogs are adaptable I'm not sure I'd want to take them from -30 to 90+ overnight, that might stress them a bit, but you're getting there before it's gotten hot yet ( we get about the same temp here as you will there and we're gradually getting into the 90's during the day ).

I'd offer you a place here for a while, but while it's a great place to live there's almost no work and with summer coming on there'll be less. We get our "tourist's" from the north over the winter - "snowbirds".

I don't envy you, going home to your family is not going to be easy ... as 'liv said, it's one day at a time, and if you can't handle a day try for an hour at a time, and if you can't handle the hour, try for the next minute.  Take care, love, you're strong, you can handle anything life throws at you!  and of course, when it gets rough, we are here so you an let off steam!

Thanks Al. I'll be moving on Friday...I'll try to post updates once I move. I'm so terrified but I've a system set up for the cats and the dogs in the U-haul...And I got some tranqs. Pray for us. Smokey's got nerves of steal but Zeeva is weak and right now my worst nightmare is that she'll get out of her crate in the U-haul and she'll terrorize the cats as well as get hurt/get out/run away...

But we've gotta do this and we will; one way or another...

Thanks for the support...I really need it right now :'c

your mum wont change but when the stress gets to you blow off steam with your husky friends hear cos if you are upset you can easly make the wrong decision try to stay calm if thay or in house is there air con.  outside well i know this sounds odd but when we were on hols we met people that  had there dog shaved but left ther feet and hair round eye and head there feet can realy burn  other member says ice and shade but i know in your heart you love your pets but you have to do the right thing for them even if it means rehoming i feel for you and wish you all the best keep us all updated   sending you hugs