What Size Garden?

Anthony James

Hello there! biggrin.png

I'm new to the forum, So wasn't entirely sure if this was the right place to post this question so sorry! rolleyes.gif

So the situation here is that My actual back garden is medium-small but around my house there are huge fields and also an estuary which I can take my dog to and walk and literally just run around like crazy (off lease) Cause the area is quite isolated, I could bring my dog for around 2-3hours walks a day (Is that enough blink.png )

My dog would be living part inside part out (Sleeping inside for sure!) smile.png

I haven't actual bought the dog and am doing research to see which breed is right for me! I want to do everything properly including proper care!

So what are your opinions, Would a Husky suite me?

Thank You! biggrin.png

I have a medium size garden my guys hate going out in the garden apart from for the toilet so it doesn't matter on size on garden in my opinion as long as there well exercised. I would love some land thru to let them run around but they are happy been house dogs lol

I have a big ish garden but tbh they dont run around loads in it! 

Regarding your fields that is great but i wouldn't advise off lead on it i would advise getting a 50 foot lead or 100 foot lead as this breed is well known for running off and deciding not to listen to you calling them (though i do also advise training a reliable recall)

2 - 3 hours walking a day sounds fine to me :) I would perhaps split it up though through the day for example i walk mine for half an hour in the morning (first thing) then over an hour mid day sometimes longer than that! Then i sometimes will take them out again after that for around half an hour also. It all depends on your lifestyle etc some people do less some people do more and it varies dog by dog .. i have one dog that is quite lazy and chilled out now and when it gets to going for a third walk he doesn't want to go out again so i just take the one who it doesn't matter how much i walk her she is still crazy so i have to do alot of other things like playing ball in the garden or mind stimulation like training commands etc :)

Also what are you meaning by living part inside and part outside?

Thank you @snowpups

Also what are you meaning by living part inside and part outside?

Well that he won't be an indoor dog all the time but wont be an outdoor one either. If it isn't raining we will probably let him go outside to play around obviously not 24/7 but for a few minutes every day!

Because Huskies cannot be 100% trusted off lead most people walk thier dogs on lead.

You can get 50 - 100 foot leads which gives them plenty of room to go and sniff stuff but still remain in your control.

We have a 150 foot garden, fully fenced (6ft) but they still get walks.

If you feel they need even more then some people run with their dogs, 

You can get attachments (WalkyDog and Springer) to attach to a mountain bike and they can run safely along side or even pull you.

There are plenty of options to give your dog good exercise without letting them off.

As for indoor / outdoor.

We have a dog flap which lets them out into the secure back garden they can come and go as they please.

Because Huskies cannot be 100% trusted off lead most people walk thier dogs on lead.

You can get 50 - 100 foot leads which gives them plenty of room to go and sniff stuff but still remain in your control.

We have a 150 foot garden, fully fenced (6ft) but they still get walks.

If you feel they need even more then some people run with their dogs, 

You can get attachments (WalkyDog and Springer) to attach to a mountain bike and they can run safely along side or even pull you.

There are plenty of options to give your dog good exercise without letting them off.

As for indoor / outdoor.

We have a dog flap which lets them out into the secure back garden they can come and go as they please.

Thanks :D  @Andy doggy flap forgot about those haha xD I think those 50/100 foot leads will have to be bought then! (if I get a husky)  ^_^

we dont have a very big garden - we have our grass fenced off so the dogs only have the path and the driveway to play on (tho they use the drive as their toilet n are fine with what they have n still get to play 

wether its raining or not we still let ours out in the garden if they want , if they choose to sit out there they can we just dry them off when they do come in 

yes as the others have echoed. My storm loves to sit outside hes out there now lol. I check on him occasionally.

Just looked at your signature Storm is gorgeous!  :wub:

we dont have a very big garden - we have our grass fenced off so the dogs only have the path and the driveway to play on (tho they use the drive as their toilet n are fine with what they have n still get to play 

wether its raining or not we still let ours out in the garden if they want , if they choose to sit out there they can we just dry them off when they do come in 

Huskies are durable to cold climate aren't they (since they have a Heavy SHREDDING coat  :lol:)  Also what type of dog is your's in the middle?  :huh:

Just looked at your signature Storm is gorgeous!  :wub:

Huskies are durable to cold climate aren't they (since they have a Heavy SHREDDING coat  :lol:)  Also what type of dog is your's in the middle?  :huh:

Hes part german shepherd

Well he is amazing! 

Bings , hes a staffordshire bull terrier x whippet :)

Ugh! I love mixes He seems to look like he has a lot of character! He is so adorable! I love his brindleish color!

He does lol , n for his age he still acts like a puppy n is constantly playing with skyla