Shopping List!!!

Anthony James

Hey Forum! biggrin.png

I made a list of dog items that I need to buy before I get a dog, The Husky breed is really one I like, Could you check this list to see which items are good or bad happy.png and is there anything else I need? (Besides dog food). I still doing research on the breed but do know I want a dog and want to buy things so I'm prepared.

*Sorry if wrong section 

Shopping List (Not Final):

• Dog Kennel
  • Dog Crate (Large Size)
  • Travel Crate (Large)
  • Bowls (Food & Water) (Does raised dishes causes blot? :wacko: )
  • Toys (Could you post some links or some names or just an item like "ball" lol )
  • Treats (Same Idea with toys post links, brands etc smiley.gif )
  • Dog Leasen (Training one for now!)
  • Collar
  • Puppy Training Pads
  • Muzzle (Would it be needed for a Husky?  :wacko:)
  • Flea Shampoo
  • Dog Shampoo
  • Dog Blanket
  • Micro Chip
  • Dog Food (Will decide later)
  • Dental Treats
  • Clicker
  • Styptic Powder
  • Kongs
  • Chuckit

Thank You! biggrin.png

you say chip but dont forget tags everybody can read tags  way a muzzel a good sweeper a big box of love and a packet of patiance a camara for good days and a meditation cd for bad a good brush for dog and a better one for your stuff helps if all fabric and flooring matches shade of dog dose not stop hair but at least you cant see it as much a srong leash pref a retractable long one a box of hugs you will be handing out lots of them and a bigger box of kisses a sign for walls at dog hight reminding who is boss but this may take about 15years to have any affect but god loves a tryer  alittle sign language cos dogs go randomly deaf when told to get of bed and come back a tinfoil pointy hat (for you size dose not matter but enbelishments or opional)to help stop the little voices that start mainly saying get more huskys get more huskys this condition is also catching seek help from husky owners order extra christmas cards cos you will have lots more friends if getting a puppy a good pair of slippers water prof cos a 3in morn it helps when walkin into stuff ( you know the bad stuff) and books on prison escapes helps with planing,  pic id for posters and lessons for computer on how to post all the fantastic pics you are gona have then you will be nearly ready for a wonderful friend for ever

I would start with some good books about the breed to get some good all round knowledge. Also google the pros and cons of owning a Husky so you are prepared. The forum is an excellent source of information. A Husky is unlike any other dog which is what attracted me to them but read up and be prepared and this may help you form your shopping list  :D

Most of the time I've found that dogs/pups will already come with a microchip, though I guess there will be the occasional person that wont for some reason.

Our first Husky was not the first dog we had so tbh, we didn't buy a lot before we got him. ( Attention and discipline are a much better way of showing love then buying expensive accessories in my opinion)

If you already have a dog then you may have spare items such as an old bed which will be perfectly fine to use.

Others may disagree, but I don't think you need to go overboard with treats, toys etc... (you can always buy more later on)

Old newspaper is fine in place of puppy pads though i'd be taking him/her out the backyard for that if I were you. 

Moonbeam, tags are defiantly a must so a thumbs up for that  :goodjob:

EDIT:I 'll add in that the best thing to spend your money on is quality food with human grade meat and other nutritious ingredients.

I was curious about that to, my lot love their crates, its their space although we only have two crates an four dogs so the boys have to vacate at night for the girls.

You could also do a search of local vets, see what they charge comparatively and what their opening hours are. Our vet has a morning surgery on weekends so in the event you have a reason to see the vet at the weekend you don't get charged call out if its before 12

Oh and buy metal bowls, plastic ones tend to get chewed lol. Ones with rubber on the bottom help stop the skating round the kitchen. And done leave your food down longer than 20 minutes. If its not finished lift it up out of the way and offer it again at next meal time. You're in control of the food source not your puppy.

I was curious about that to, my lot love their crates, its their space although we only have two crates an four dogs so the boys have to vacate at night for the girls.

Quick question.. Why have you crossed off dog crate?

Oh because I already have a XL one  :D

and thank you all for your answers! This list is more of a things I should have before getting the dog and other things to take into account  :)

nylabones for chewing, kongs good too (I see that on the list)

Imo dont spend loads of money on loads of toys as puppy teeth are sharp and they destroy them fast

no raised bowls do not cause bloat they can help to prevent it actually

styptic powder? do you plan on cutting claws often?

wormer?

flea treatment?

do they need heartworm treatment in the usa? (we dont in uk)

Dont go overboard with treats when little, their tummies are delicate and one treat can set it off to total runny bum :(

Kibbles fine for using during training also

Thanks!  :D The powder was more for a "Just In case situation" I didn't plan on using it just to have it in case of an emergency!  :)

lol. I cut my dogs claws. usually only the dews nee doing but the pups do need doing occasionally. Ive never needed any powder and considering I cut my kids nails as babies and made them bleed im surprised lol.

Ohhh okay ... word of advise then i would buy a divider for that crate as a puppy will not need that amount of space and i found with Skye when she was little would not settle in such a large amount of space and she would also toilet in it. They prefer to be cosy... i even downsized my males crate to a XL from a XXL as he kept trying to get in the tiny crate lmao.

Skye is now in a XXL but i need to get a XL for her as it is far to big! She did have a medium but has outgrown it!

I guess the only thing I'd like to add is to keep on researching, researching, researching. Ask questions on here, attend husky meets if possible (to get a feel of what he will be like when he's older). Ask yourself if you have the time, energy, and commitment to raising a puppy as well...they are like human babies and can be rather demanding!

Are you going to adopt? Or get a puppy from a breeder? There are lots of dogs in need of homes, and sometimes puppies show up at the shelter too. If you get an adult dog, you can skip the puppy and teenager phases (a lot of work, frustration, and annoyance is involved...I heard) - I am so glad I didn't get mine as a puppy! 

If you want to get a puppy from a breeder, make sure the breeder is reputable. There are some simple things to watch out for: both the sire (dad) and dam (mom) should have eye and hip scores (with a score of Good or Excellent), the breeder should make you sign a contract, make you fill out a questionnaire  and they should have a waiting period to get a puppy (they don't 'breed on demand')

I've never gotten a puppy, but I'm sure there are other things you have to watch out for...I'm sure other people will chime in. :)