Will This Dog Ever Care About Anything But Food?

Chula

Honestly, its insane! She is unbelievably food driven. I could be whacking her over the head with a skillet and she would be happy as long as she had food in front of her.

I read about these other huskies here that dont want to eat and cannot relate even a little bit. It gets exhausting to have little paws clicking behind me every time I get up with the hope I *might* be heading to the kitchen.

LOL I'm afraid I can't answer your question there but I sure can say I'm jealous! :P it must be easier to teach her tricks that way! x) 

btw about her pawing you, you can tell her "no!" for that. Or since she's extremely food-driven, maybe teach her a special command for it? I used to use "paws off!" but Diamond don't paw me anymore so I no longer use that command. To teach this command, first get ahold something she likes in your hands and stand near her. Tell her to sit and stay. When she started pawing tell her "paws off!" and turn around. Watch out she might paw even harder LOL make sure you wear long jeans :P but once she stops you can say "good girl" and give her the treat. Just remember that practice makes perfect ;)

Ice is like that, never misses a meal unless he's extremely unwell. Unfortunately he could never distinguish between actual food and objects, just Hoover anything in his path. We tried to hide most things but then he'd just shred up a pillow, chew off a chunk of furniture, or something similar and eat that! After he got very sick with an obstruction he stopped doing this entirely for a while. He's slowly crept back into old habits but not so bad, if he chews a stick now he will spit out the bits instead of eating them. He learnt the hard way!

Honestly, its insane! She is unbelievably food driven. I could be whacking her over the head with a skillet and she would be happy as long as she had food in front of her.

I read about these other huskies here that dont want to eat and cannot relate even a little bit. It gets exhausting to have little paws clicking behind me every time I get up with the hope I *might* be heading to the kitchen.

I get the same with Echo she is behind me all the time.

Daughtry is not far behind.

Darwin will still be curled up on the sofa, however the moment you forget to close the stairgate to the kitchen

He slinks away and will be side surfing, first thing you know is when there is a loud clang as he's pulled an oven dish out of the oven.

Sneaky boy. :P

Wish Rolyx had food motivation. He's extremely motivated when in the house, but take him outside and over stimulation kicks in. He has improved SLIGHTLY, as he use to not even notice the food or he'd grab it and spit it out because he was just too pumped up. I had to do focus training with him to even get him that far. Consider yourself lucky, it comes in handy during training.

Why I always get frustrated with positive reinforcement trainers...just give him a treat and click! Yeah, Ro tells me where I can go to click it every time. lol

All good points! I hadn't considered how it would be harder to train a dog that doesn't care about food. She will do pretty much anything for a snack, so that is nice. Sometimes if she's laying in the dining room and I walk out there she will get up and start doing all her tricks hoping it will garner her a treat. It's funny to see her turning in circles and throwing herself into her "play dead" position when I'm just going for a glass of water.

And it also probably did save her life. When she was sick after eating the paper towel, she wouldn't eat anything. She actually carried a treat around in her mouth with her for the rest of the day. Just picked it up, carried it to her bed, and laid down with it. Then carried it to wherever else she was going. It was so sad. But I knew that something was really, really wrong when she wouldn't even eat a treat.

Suka is very food motivated. IMO, I think its mostly a good thing because...like already said before...it makes training them easier because they'll always want the food, even when not hungry. Though, it can also be a major pain, because they (atleast mine) won't do most things if he doesn't see a treat.

Fortunately he knows the difference between food and non-food items. He smells things before eating them, then if he's not sure if its edible (ie: new treat), he'll take a little 'test lick'.

A year or so ago, when he was begging at the table (bad!). I showed him a carrot. He smelled it, and like I had predicted, didn't take it from my hand. So, I closed my hand and opened it again (he saw this.) with the carrot still in hand.  I showed him the carrot, and he smelled it (the same carrot) again. Repeated this a few more times until he gave up and went away. :P

That made me think - I know dogs use their noses to 'see' the world...but if Suka smells the same thing multiple times in succession (in a way that makes you feel he isn't using his eyes at all), does that mean he has eye problems? Or am I just overanalyzing and he didn't understand it was the same carrot? When he had his annual checkup last year, the vet had said his eyes were starting to 'show their age', but she didn't elaborate.

Heehee. She would probably say that she doesn't get anywhere near enough food. It's like having a teenage boy in the house! I'm convinced she would eat until she threw it up, then probably realize her stomach was empty and eat some more.

Glala, Dana and Wodak wanted me to ask you if you give more food to your dog than we give to them. They're willing swap houses for an 'indefinite period of time' apparently...

Elka takes such a long time to eat a bowl of food. She eats a little then returns to the bowl occasionally during the day and the same again in the evening. However if she hears me lift the treat tub from the side ;) when she's is in the garden she is there like a shot and will do anything for a treat!