All She Wants Is Chicken...

DuramaxDiesel

Okay, so Nymeria had Coccidia and Giardia, which are intestinal parasites that cause ridiculous amounts of diarrhea...

She got put on meds for them, and it has overall cured the problem. The vet gave her medicated food, which smelled delicious, even to me. She ate a little bit of that, and has like 1/4 of a can left of the last can. He also suggested feeding her boiled chicken.

My husband and I butchered chickens on Saturday morning, and Meerie was in the barn with us in a crate...but when she was allowed out to go potty, she wanted to sniff all the feathers. She seemed very interested in them.

Now, all she wants is CHICKEN. I bought her Diamond brand of Canned Chicken & Rice, thinking she'd eat it. Nope. I made chicken broth made with real chicken pieces (it comes as a liquid and you mix it into boiled water) and she went nuts for the smell... I put it on dry kibble (Taste of the Wild) and let it soak in... nothing. Walked away from it. However, now, I cut up some pieces of boiled chicken, and she just eats the chicken out of it no matter how small the pieces are...

I think we have created a monster...and we see the vet on Thursday for a follow up, and she still has medication left until Thursday... but I want to break this habit...but she is EATING, which is a major plus.

Any advice?

it's only one of the causes - dogs can digest things so much better than humans - if you want to go for raw go for it, but if you want her back on kibble then don't feed any chicken at all for the moment, she won't starve herself x

it's only one of the causes - dogs can digest things so much better than humans - if you want to go for raw go for it, but if you want her back on kibble then don't feed any chicken at all for the moment, she won't starve herself x

I think most likely her stuff was caused by her littermates and the stress of leaving... and I've been trying to crate train her. I'm laying off that for a while to hold back on the stress.

I ignored her for a bit and she went and ate some kibble...

She's holding out for the good stuff. My boy did that this weekend - he refused to eat his kibble for hours because he wanted the turkey - he was smelling it all day, darn it! :P

But I didn't give in, and besides telling some people off who slipped him scraps, he eventually ate his kibble.

As Linda says,

Raw chicken wings help will dodgy tummies.

Plain boiled rice is a good filler.

We give ours Raw chicken wings.

The bones crunch up good and help thicken the poo

and the chicken meat gives them much needed protein 

I didn't know! Maybe ill have to try that. I always thought raw chicken was bad. And that the bones splinter easy. Must be when they cook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep cooked chicken bones splinter into long thin sharp "splinters" which can pierce the throat and stomach causing major problems, so never give them the bones from your sunday roast or KFC.

However, raw chicken wings are fine. the bones crunch and break rather than splinter. and digest essily.

The calcium is good for them and helps make the poop solid.

Especially if they've had a runny bum.

I have seen a lot of posts about chicken wings but didn't really think about giving it to them as I always assumed they were cooked.  I am not too familiar with how a raw diet works because I haven't really considered it.  I always thought raw chicken was really bad, so when I boil chicken for them I make sure it is cooked all the way. 

I think I might try the chicken wings as a snack for them though. Yukon could use some firming up.

• 3 weeks later...

If your worry is balanced nutrition you may consider investigating the addition of a multi-vitamin supplement to fill-in the nutrition gaps. Pet Tabs Advanced Formula is one I use with my pups. They take them readily and they are reasonable in price. That and the Chicken should keep her happy. Does she like any kinds of treats? you may be able to get a bit more nourishment into her with the treat depending on what they carry. Treats are only an  augument they are not to substitute for a main meal. All the Best, hope this is helpful.

Fr. Carmen OFM

I don't know if this was a one of or not, but when mine get raw bones - their stool comes out looking paler, sometime almost whitish looking.  I'm presuming that's an off shoot of them not normally getting raw bones but don't know for sure.

If your worry is balanced nutrition you may consider investigating the addition of a multi-vitamin supplement to fill-in the nutrition gaps. Pet Tabs Advanced Formula is one I use with my pups. They take them readily and they are reasonable in price. That and the Chicken should keep her happy. Does she like any kinds of treats? you may be able to get a bit more nourishment into her with the treat depending on what they carry. Treats are only an  augument they are not to substitute for a main meal. All the Best, hope this is helpful.

Fr. Carmen OFM

Thank you both, but she is no longer with us. She was born with a deformed heart, and thus had a lack of appetite and low energy. Her heart wasn't growing to keep up with her growing body.