Damn It Suka!!!

Elyse

Suka pulled my Mom down again - it looks pretty bad. This is the 5th time he's pulled her down in 2 years.

She says he saw something and bolted, and yanked...she wasn't paying attention so couldn't brace herself. Her arm is in a sling because she can't support it (not sure if its broken??), and she says her thigh/hip is swollen, and sometimes she feels nauseous and she feels weak. She can't do anything, and can barely stand up. 

Damn it Suka, I knew you'd do something like this as soon as I leave. I swear, if you don't stop being such an ass they'll going to pressure me to rehome you. Or, I'm going to have to crate-train you so I can take you to school with me next year...because damn it, I won't let you kill my Mom! I won't!!! 

So sorry to hear about your mum.

Hope she's not hurt too bad. :(

Thanks guys...

Oh hun I'm so sorry about your mum hope she gets better soon x x

Have you considered using a walking belt instead?x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

After seeing me fall and being dragged with the walking belt a few times, she won't wear it. I don't blame her - I don't wear it anymore either.

And Suka's pulling is weird: he walks loose leash (and heeled) until he wants to get at something. Then there's almost no warning before he digs in. And by that point, you're screwed unless you let go of the leash...but everything go so fast you don't have time to let go of the leash. 

I haven't fallen in awhile, but that's because I spend 99% of the walk staring at him to make sure he doesn't randomly decide to bolt off again. 

Update:

Mom went to the hospital and got an x-ray done. She didn't break anything - they said it was just deep tissue damage, all along her arm (tore a tendon or two), and she has major bruising along her side (her side is all swollen and she can't even get into pants).

So they doped her up on pain meds, and she slept the day away. 

And she still took the dog for his walk tonight - she's crazy that woman! :rolleyes:

Aw sorry to hear about your mom getting hurt, but glad she is ok for most part. 

Have you thought about trying a head halti [or gentle leader] just for when your mom has control of him? It's not as fun for him, but it would give her loads more control. Maybe you've all ready tried it....Just I know it made a huge difference with Ro. :)

Aw sorry to hear about your mom getting hurt, but glad she is ok for most part. 

Have you thought about trying a head halti [or gentle leader] just for when your mom has control of him? It's not as fun for him, but it would give her loads more control. Maybe you've all ready tried it....Just I know it made a huge difference with Ro. :)

Thanks - its still going to take her over a month to recover, they said. 

Oh yep...we've tried one of those too. I had it for over a month - he showed no improvement and would still 'jerk pull'. The only tool I haven't tried is the prong collar, but personally I wouldn't want to use it...

Aw that's too bad, he's just a strong willed guy isn't he? :) Well I'd suggest one of those halti harnesses, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be any more helpful if a head halti wasn't. It's too bad he can't carry weight any more, I found the backpack to help a ton in slowing things down. As for a prong collar, I've never tried one...I know there's a lot of different opinions on them, but I tend to wonder how well they work with a husky regardless. 

We had to use the prong collar with our boy.  I couldn't watch and let my husband work with him.  It took only about 20 minutes and he stopped pulling but some pitiful whimpering/backpedaling and he is totally a non-vocal dog - I have to bribe him alot to get him to speak. He's 98 lbs and I was getting dragged all over the place and although he would heel, just like your dog, when he saw a squirrel he was off and running.  Now he gets alot of freedom on the retractable leash since he knows exactly where the end is and he stops without dragging anyone down the street.

Good luck!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your Mother.  What a trooper - she's still walks the dog!!!

Update on Mom:

She's doing better now; the sling is off, though she still walks the dog with the other arm. And she's still in a lot of pain (her side is still really swollen) but she's a trooper - her pain meds are taking away most of the pain she says.

So that's good news. :)