What Others Should Know

LittleLuka

I know this thread has kinda been started before but basically I'm working on a pamphlet to pass out at an adoption event this weekend for possible owners. What would you tell someone interested in northern breeds with no experience? Maybe something you wish you were told? Also, it can't be condescending as its to help educate and get more dogs adopted into forever homes not scare people off lol! Thanks!

Just a few of the more obvious ones:

- Their prey drive

- Their stubbornness/independence/selective hearing

- How much they shed/blow. The amount of reading I did on this did NOT prepare me at all. A picture is worth a thousand words, so maybe post up a picture of fur everywhere after you brush out your blowing husky?

Elyse said mist of what I was thinking already. Can I add exercise requirements to the list and intelligence. This breed needs mental and physical stimulation. Ignore them and you'll suffer the consequences! Lol.

mixture in character i think...

Even from the same litter my boys are soo different. Just because one husky may be mental and doesnt work with you, doesnt mean another wouldnt fit in to your life.

Kaiden is loving and hyper in doors, and Parker is stand offish and relaxed in doors. While out side, Kaiden is chilled and parker is mental.

I think the one thing i wasnt prepared for was their playing voices, and over excited must meet yelps and woowing...i knew they were vocal, but for the first year i always thought Parker was being agressive.

I can't add anything really to what's already been said ... you don't want to make it too condescending, but if the literature you use doesn't warn them sufficiently about what they're getting in to then you'll have the dog back in short order.

I'm glad it's you putting this together and not me, because while I, obviously, think they're great dogs - they definitely aren't for everyone!

Elyse said mist of what I was thinking already. Can I add exercise requirements to the list and intelligence. This breed needs mental and physical stimulation. Ignore them and you'll suffer the consequences! Lol.

With this being said can you explain that just because they need a lot of exercise when they are older DO NOT THINK that that means to walk a 5 month old puppy for 2 hours or run with them. SOOO many people ask me when we are going to hook Balto up to something he can pull, or why don't we run with him as huskys need to run. When I tell them he is a puppy and we don't do that but will when a year to a year and a half they say remarks that I do not know how to take care of my dog.

Fussy eating.

Not all huskies are High energy.

Can be Destructive if left alone

loving, gentle.

You could put something saying that although they look like Huskies they are very different breeds. Size is obviously a factor, Mals tend to be larger than most Huskies. Their temperament is very different to Huskies. And you need to put in something about the Chewbacca talk! Wooing and grumbling happen at every given opportunity and they are very very sociable. Well Kodiak is, and I can only go by what he does I guess :) We did loads of research and once you've sorted through the rubbish you realise just how different they are to Huskies. I was very surprised considering they look so similar!  

You could put something saying that although they look like Huskies they are very different breeds. Size is obviously a factor, Mals tend to be larger than most Huskies. Their temperament is very different to Huskies. And you need to put in something about the Chewbacca talk! Wooing and grumbling happen at every given opportunity and they are very very sociable. Well Kodiak is, and I can only go by what he does I guess :) We did loads of research and once you've sorted through the rubbish you realise just how different they are to Huskies. I was very surprised considering they look so similar!  

yeah they do act very different! all the ones i've met have way different personalities than my Luka. love them though, they're beautiful giants lol